Removing "Get Xpress Mail" (How-To)

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by GraemeCR, Nov 2, 2007.

1. GraemeCR

GraemeCR New Member

Removing "Get Xpress Mail" (How-To)

Using AciveSync's "Explore" function you will find that there are many .xml files in the main <Windows> folder, including cingular.home.xml and motorola.home.xml.
    In the <Application Data/Home> folder of the stock AT&T Q 9h you will find cingular.home.xml also, but not the motorola.home.xml.
    Adding motorola.home.xml file to this folder will produce the screen layout without "Get Xpress Mail".
    These files will both display as 'Smartphone' in the "Home screen layout."
    So:
    Save a copy of motorola.home.xml from <Windows> to your PC and then copy it to from your PC to the <Application Data/Home> folder and reboot device.
    Choose the lower instance of Smartphone in "Home screen layout" and now you have the "Xpress-less" screen - without XML editing!
  2. acaruso

acaruso New Member

Thanks that worked great. Much needed and welcome
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

fyi: i edited the thread title. thanks for this, this could help some folks.
  4. Duke4062

Duke4062 New Member

I always thought xpress mail was useless and cost extra so I always removed it from my homescreen. I read up about it and turns out it provides free push emai to att customers with a unl. data plan. Have been using it with my yahoo mail and am very impressed. I have done alot of test emails. My mail is delivered within seconds of it being sent in true push email form. Also unlike the regular outlook mobile accts. my xpress mail keeps all my inbox/outbox/sent etc. synced perfect w/ my pc. So I guess xpress mail is not just some stupid att branding I need to get rid of like I always thought.
  5. GraemeCR

GraemeCR New Member

True. For those who use a yahoo mail account it's a plus.
    For me, I use other (business-related) email accounts more than my very old pacbell/yahoo/att account. When I tried to edit/delete it, I found that the settings were locked. A Master Reset was the only way I could get around it.
  6. dadams

dadams New Member

HOWEVER, the Home Screen Shortcuts --> define shortcuts feature in Personalize My Q no longer works. Any ideas Thanks
  7. GraemeCR

GraemeCR New Member

It still works for me (???), but I've made some other mods since.
    I decided to go down the XML-edit path to change the carrier name (see this thread). I used the same file (motorola.home.xml) and made two changes: the carrier name, and the display name (for the homescreen.)
    Sorry, but I don't know why "Define..." doesn't work for you. (????)
  8. Firemedic

Firemedic New Member

I edited the cingular.home.xml file and removed the xpress plugin...It's called "get mail"

I retained the define shortcuts functionality on the ATT Default and no longer have a useless ICON on my home screen
  9. dadams

dadams New Member

I tried that but i get a permissions and or memory denial when i try to copy it back to the directory on the q from my pc. thanks
  10. jkc-91

jkc-91 New Member

Same thing here. I'm sure someone knows something. :2cool:
    Thanks.
  11. acaruso

acaruso New Member

Better solution

I found a better way to get rid of it and make my phone look so much better.

www.sbsh.net/products/facade/

It is not the easiest program but much easier than all the suggestion being given.
  12. LuvrGirl

LuvrGirl Member

Originally Posted by Firemedic [​IMG]
    I edited the cingular.home.xml file and removed the xpress plugin...It's called "get mail"

I retained the define shortcuts functionality on the ATT Default and no longer have a useless ICON on my home screen

Ok, I don't have time to write up very detailed instructions 'cause I'm at work and then I'll be busy until late tonight... so if you guys read this during the day and want some help on it, hit me up on AIM - LuvrGirlM, and I'll guide you step by step. I'll try to be logged on for the most part of the day.

MaRiA
  13. willakvo

willakvo New Member

What worked for me was quite simple..

Went to Filemanager --> Program Files-->Cingular-->XpressMail

Then i just moved that XpressMail file to another folder.

Restarted the phone and that line was gone.

Hope this works

14. Hwill48

Hwill48 New Member

Thanks

I searched for quite some time to find out how to get rid of Get Xpress Mail...and came upon this forum and your 'simple' method. This worked great and I want to thank you for sharing!
  15. MarkW

MarkW New Member

An easier way to remove the 'Get Xpress Mail'

I just got my Motorola Q and I love it - I also like the 'ATT Default' for my home screen - because you can minimize the icons and set the order of the Icons and new icons will not display just because you access the Application. The problem however is the 'Get Xpress Mail' marketing message - I do not like it and do not need it.

Nathan in my office is actually the smart guy who fixed this for me.

1. Connect the Q to your PC via USB and start Active Sync - click on the 'Explore' icon in the active sync pop up window.
    2. An Explorer Window 'Mobile Device' will pop up. Double Click on 'My Windows Mobile-Based Device' - Double Click on 'Application Data' - Double Click on 'Home'
    3. Copy the 'cingular.home.xml file to your PC - (right click on file and click copy - then on your PC - first click on the folder where you want to paste the file - ex. 'My Documents' - and then right click and paste)
    4. Right click on the 'cingular.home.xml file that you just pasted to 'My Documents' and click edit.
    5. This is the fifth line from the top '<title lang="0x0409">ATT Default</title>' - you will need to change the 'ATT Default' to a unique name such as 'your name' -
    It will look like this - <title lang="0x0409">John Smith</title>
    6. Now Scroll down about half way until you get to this line
    '<plugin clsid="{1237A231-5D10-4d97-8D59-6A9DCA0653A9}" name="getmail" height="25"/>' Delete this line.
    7. Click on 'File' Click 'Save As' name file 'cingular1.home.xml' click 'Save'
    8. Copy 'cingular1.home.xml' to 'Mobile Device/My Windows Mobile-Based Device/Application Data/Home.

This will create another 'Home Screen' (What ever you named it in #5 above).
    Go through the steps of selecting a home screen on the Q and you will now be able to select your custom home screen without the Get Xpress Mail.

16. 47seijar

47seijar New Member

I too used the simple method:

First I created a new folder called "Shite".

Then I simply navigated to the offending Xpress Mail file (Program Files-->Cingular-->XpressMail) and used Menu to move it to my "Shite" folder.

I restarted my Q and viola'! Gone from the Home Screen.
  17. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

So... what happens if you just delete XpressMail folder? Same result I'm assuming?
  18. 47seijar

47seijar New Member

You can't delete it from the phone. It's "read only" and you don't have the permissions to change that. So you have to jump through hoops to get that idiot message off your home screen. :angry: Freakin' AT&T!
  19. compman72

compman72 New Member

It works

I got the same error but ignore it and reboot the phone and its gone!
  20. d70005

d70005 New Member

I got an error that it cannot copy to the folder. It copies but not pastes.