Remote Desktop Mobile

Discussion in 'HTC Snap | Ozone' started by dkim36, Oct 1, 2009.

1. dkim36

dkim36 New Member

Remote Desktop Mobile

Hi,

Is there a step by step instruction on how to set remote desktop mobile and how to get this to work? I have htc ozone 3vo series roms and the application is already in it. Please let me know. Thanks.
  2. bitterpoet

bitterpoet New Member

You shouldn't need to do any setup with the application on your phone. All you have to do is connect your phone to the same network and point the app to your desktop's address. This will work once you've enable remote connections on the pc. If you want to access your home pc from outside of your own local network that's a different story. That requires you to forward the port in your router that your pc is listening for remote desktop connections on. Then instead of pointing the app on your phone to the local IP of your pc you point it to your external IP with the port # your pc uses for remote desktop so your router knows where to send the incoming signal. Let me know if you want to use Remote Desktop just on your network or from outside of it. Then I can walk you through the specific process you want. Also, what operating system is on your home computer that you want to remote to?
  3. dkim36

dkim36 New Member

Thanks, can you walk me through? I would like to use remote desktop outside of it. My computer is XP Professional service pack 3.
  4. bitterpoet

bitterpoet New Member

Remote Desktop Walkthrough

First thing to do is to enable Remote Desktop connections on your computer if you have not already done so. Right-click My Computer and select properties. Select the Remote tab and then check the box that reads "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" (your user account must be password protected for this to work). Click OK and you can now remote from inside your own network.

Before you forward the port in your router you'll need to set your computer to a static IP address. Go to the Control Panel and open Network connections. Open the properties of the connection you normally use. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then click properties. Change the settings from Obtain...automatically to Use the following... and input the IP you want to use. If you're not sure what to set them to, just open the command prompt and type "ipconfig /all". this will give you all the numbers you need. Click OK and you're one step closer.

This next step isn't necessary but I recommend it for added security. Follow the steps here to change the listening port for RDP.

Now on to the router. Every router is different so I can't give a step by step walkthrough how to forward a port without knowing your make/model. This site talks about forwarding on a Linksys but the info can still apply to other brands. All you really need to know is that you need to forward the port you just set in the previous step (if you opted not to change the listening port, the default RDP port is 3389) to the static IP you set in step two.

The last step is to add an exception for the port in your firewall. I'll leave that to you as I don't know what firewall program you're using (if any).

Open Remote Desktop on your phone. For the computer, you need to type your external IP (you can find it in the router or even just google external IP and lots of sites will give it to you) followed by the port number you set up. It should look like this "IP address:port number". Type in your username and password then hit connect. Hopefully it should connect to your computer. If not, I must have forgotten a step but I think I covered the bases. Let me know how it turns out.
  5. dkim36

dkim36 New Member

Thanks a lot. One issue though, i some times get this error

"The remote session was ended because the idle timeout limit was reached. This limit is set by the server administrator or by network policies."

Is there a way to have no timeout limit so that way it doesn't end the remote session?
  6. bitterpoet

bitterpoet New Member

Hmm... I haven't had that one yet. I'll have to look into it. It's late so I'm heading to bed but I'll try to get to it tomorrow at work.
  7. dkim36

dkim36 New Member

I haven't done the part where I'm away from network. I'm not too clear on handling that. I will more likely mess something up. So the port thing. how do I know what port number to set it up? My firewall program for the router or the computer? My router is att and my computer is just the windows firewall.
  8. bitterpoet

bitterpoet New Member

The idea is to pick a port that isn't commonly used. You can pick a random port from 0 to 65535. It's up to you. Here's a list of commonly used ports to avoid. I'm using one in the 8000 range. As for the firewall, forwarding takes care of the router. Adding an exception to the Windows Firewall is what you'll be doing. Just open the Control Panel then open the Windows Firewall. Go to the Exceptions tab then click Add Port. Type in a name (ie Remote Desktop Custom Port) and then put in the port number you chose. Click OK and that takes care of that.

Here is AT&T's walkthrough on forwarding. The protocol type will be TCP.

I'm still not sure on the timeout issue but I never leave the connection going for long.
  9. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

You may want to first get it going with the default ports. As he said, set a static ip on your computer, enable remote connections on the system tab (XP Home won't do remote connections), and disable the windows firewall for the time being. Go into the configuration of your 2wire att and forward port 3389 to static ip you gave your machine. Sometimes this is under add application.
  10. dkim36

dkim36 New Member

I looked into this link but it is not similiar to my system. My att router is 2701hg-b gateway. My system software is current, so no need for any upgrade. Do you happen to know how to do it on this kind of router?

Thanks for helping out on this.
  11. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

that's a 2wire modem. check their site as i'm not infront of one at the moment. sounds like a home dsl setup. be aware that your external ip is likely dynamic.
  12. dkim36

dkim36 New Member