Remote Desktop Client

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by bandit64, Jun 29, 2006.

1. nags

nags New Member

I use remote desktop thats built into Windows.. I'd like to be able to access it right through there so I don't have to switch to VNC
  2. SloppyGoat

SloppyGoat New Member

Me too. I don't really want to run both on all my machines. RDP is already there and I like it. I've never been too fond of VNC.
  3. arakele

arakele New Member

I have been looking for this as well, VNC is not an option. we refuse to use VNC on our networks due to it not being encrypted. MS Terminal Services is encrypted and meets all government regulations.
  4. twdo

twdo New Member

VNC is encrypted. Your only option to connect to a Windows machine from the Q is VNC. So, there is no point looking for RDC/Terminal Services or complaining about not having it. There just isn't a version of RDC/Terminal Services for Windows Mobile 5, which is the OS that the Q currently uses.

I bet that when we have a major update to the OS, Microsoft will include this. But, for now, the only option you have is VNC.

I was also very reluctant to installing VNC server on my 5 dedicated servers and my office computers. But, now that it is installed, running, and I have had some time to get used to it, I actually like VNC better than RDC now.
  5. swedeguy

swedeguy New Member

I cant believe how many people are installing vnc and opening vnc ports to access servers from the outside. I love vnc but would never have servers open to vnc from the internet. I always have to vpn into a network and use vnc on the local subnet.

The reason why? I have personally had two different clients vnc sessions hacked.

Is there a pptp or l2tp client for the q? If i could establish a vpn first I would have no prob using vnc.
  6. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

I'll tell you what I wish - I wish there was a Citrix for WM5-Smartphone client...I waited for YEARS for a Palm OS Citrix client then switched over from a Treo to a Q and found that there was STILL no client for remote access to Citrix that would work for me...
  7. mrcc

mrcc New Member

if u have a blue tooth enabled pc cant u use the bt pc remote. will that work with as remote desktop?
  8. qwho

qwho New Member

mrcc: No that lets you use your Q to control the PC. It does not allow you to see the screen of your computer.

As for remote desktop solutions- RDM+, which is sold at this site, works rather well.

It probably isn't very secure. I don't use it for my PC at work, as we have a citrix version of remote desktop for use to dial in from home.

But to use my home computer while at work, RDM+ has a Q client and a desktop version. The Q client is a 5-day trial, and it is somewhere in the realm of $40 to buy. The desktop version is in beta and is free, through a web interface.

www.rdmplus.com
  9. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Old thread, I know (but didn't want to start a new one).

Saw this pop up on my Google Reader earlier today - zaDesktop Windows Remote Desktop (Terminal Server) client for WM Smartphone:

http://www.smartphone-freeware.com/download-zadesktop.html

Edit: It's a little unwieldy at first, but I was able to log in through our Terminal Server access here at my office. Could be useful if I need to get something from work in a pinch.
  10. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

11. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Thansk. Hopefully ppl will find it useful. I've been hoping to come across a free program that did this.

\from my Q
  12. gorgarath

gorgarath New Member

Earlier in the thread, someone had mentioned using remote desktop on a RAZR. Wouldn't you also be able to run the same Java program from the RAZR on the Q with Jbed or another Java emulator? Granted, it would probably be pretty slow, but this is a Q we're talking about, I can't see any remote access being all that zippy. Not using .Net VNC, but have another VNC client on my Q9 that works pretty nicely. Not as fast as on a PC, but a lot more mobile.
    I'm still looking for a VPN client though as I would like to close my ports at home.
  13. Noodlez

Noodlez New Member

zaDesktop gives me a couple of errors on my Q9c. One about the error couldn't be displayed cause the resource containing it was not found. Then the next about a system.net.sockets.socket error I have the .Net CF 3.5 installed (to storage card)
  14. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Try reinstalling NET CF. I got the same error at first, and the reinstall cleared it up for me.

\from my Q
  15. z5150

z5150 New Member

i would love to use vnc on my Q, have it installed, can connect fine and do everything except use the enter button, which i need to unlock it. anyone else have a problem with the enter button not sending an enter command to the remote pc? any work arounds.....i saw earlier someone said they could add command to the menu cause it's open source, but i know nothing about programming
  16. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

what vnc client? .net? push * (fn a) first. tab doesn't work.
  17. z5150

z5150 New Member

thank you very much. when i send * then the enter key it works......kinda stupid, but for as little as i need it, that's ok. i have .NET VNC Viewer 1.0.1.0 Feb 27, 2005. forgot where i got it, have had it for awhile, is there something newer/better out ? guess i could look for myself :)

anyways, thanks again for the tip, i can logon to my pc's now.
  18. larsdennert

If the scrolling runs away from you then there is a newer version. If scrolling stops when you let go, you are likely current.

The * allows better text entry.
  19. z5150

z5150 New Member

ya, runaway cursor has been a pain, i thought it was just a dumb design lol, but now i have latest version 1.0.1.17 April 27, 2007 and it still doesn't stop when i let go of D pad buttons.
  20. larsdennert

There's a setting to change cursor behavior as I recall