Remote Desktop Client

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by bandit64, Jun 29, 2006.

1. bandit64

bandit64 New Member

Remote Desktop Client

Is it Available for the Q?
    Thanks
  2. lukewayne

lukewayne New Member

Anyone know the answer to this question? I'm looking to find out as well.
  3. Kupe

Kupe New Member

Are you looking for something like VNC? You could try .NET VNC as a solution.
  4. djlactose

djlactose New Member

I tired to use it on my Q but was unable to enter in a username.
  5. JessJenn

JessJenn New Member

Have you actually tried this? Does it work? Got a link where I can download the .NET framework for Smartphones? Thanks!
  6. Snarl

Snarl New Member

.NET framework is not out yet for windows mobile smartphone edition as far as I know. As soon as it is we'll be able to do a lot more with our Q's...I'm waiting for them to release...if anyone has seen it can they please post link?
  7. tj!2k6

tj!2k6 New Member

8. JessJenn

JessJenn New Member

9. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

Yes - that's the newest .NET CF and it works on our smartphones - and it's the same thing the Treo 700w users have to upgrade to. I haven't heard of anything newer (considering that's the CF that matches VS 2005, I highly doubt anything newer is coming down the pipeline in the near future).
  10. JessJenn

JessJenn New Member

I've tried the .NET VNC viewer and I gotta say it works. You get a red crosshair on the screen that you move around with the arrow keys. You hit the left function button and that acts as a left mouse click.

My only beef is that it is very slow. Does it go this slow for everyone else?
  11. su_jinx

su_jinx New Member

I haven't tried it, but my boss uses it after VPNing in to our network and he stated that it is slow, as well. In my boss's case I can understand the lag issue. There is a lot of processing going on and very little processing power to work with.
  12. StS

StS New Member

I installed this and must say I was actually impressed. The speed is fine. I have a dual monitor setup at the house and was able to navigate both screens on my Q. With a little practice this action has become second nature. Thanks for the info.
  13. Captainfrufru

Captainfrufru New Member

please help me with this. i really want to use the remote desktop but im hvin problems. could some one please tell me how im supposed to download it and stuff in order to get it to work
  14. CMantis

CMantis New Member

15. twdo

twdo New Member

Correct. You can not use Remote Desktops/Terminal Services. I currently use VNC to connect to my servers. It actually works great! The only downside to using it is that you need to install a VNC server on each of the servers that you want to connect. If you can do that, you are covered. I actually like the VNC client better. It's faster, better screen refreshes, and has all the quick keys like Ctrl-Alt-Del, etc

- John
  16. SloppyGoat

SloppyGoat New Member

What!? No Remote Desktop/Terminal Services?!!! Even the RAZR will do this. I was hoping to have Remote Desktop on my Q, damnit! There is no version for it?
  17. twdo

twdo New Member

Think about it dude. The Q does not have a touch screen. Thus, there would be no way to move the mouse around. RDC/Terminal Services for PocketPC requires that. But, you can use VNC, which actually works quite well. I actually prefer it to RDC/Terminal Serrvices, now. I hated it when I first had to start using it, but now that I am used to it, it is better than the Terminal Services client I used to have on my old PocketPC phone. The ONLY downside to using VNC is that you need to install VNC server on all the servers you want to connect to. This can be a problem if you need to connect to a server for the first time and it doesn't already have VNC installed.

Don't worry. Get over it. You can not go wrong for the price of the Q. If you want to go out and spend $500 or $600 on another phone, be my guest. But, I am sure that once you start playing with VNC and get used to it, you will feel the same way that I do.

-John
  18. SloppyGoat

SloppyGoat New Member

Dude, the RAZR doesn't have a touch screen either. You just use the D pad to go to whatever you want to click, I assume. Or maybe it just controls the cursor. I just use RDP on all my machines, and I'm not going to run VNC too. I just can't believe that there's a simple java version that will allow you to use RDP on a regular RAZR cell phone, but not on a Q! I was sure that would be available.
    I don't have much choice on the Q. It was provided by my company, so at least I didn't have to pay for it. ;)

I'm liking my RAZR more and more. LOL
  19. nags

nags New Member

Remote Desktop access on my Q would be sick.
  20. twdo

twdo New Member

Download and install one of the following (get the free server) on the computer you wish to connect to from your Motorola Q.

Then, install this on your Q:
    One very cool thing about this is that DotNetVNC (the client that gets installed on your Q, comes with 100% full C# source code! So, you can add in some cool things. I made a menu button on mine that will do a reboot so that I don't have to click start >> yadda yadda..... See! Not having Terminal Services/Remote Desktops on the Q isn't so bad!