Registry edit to force the CPU to 314 MHz

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by Bobby Budnick, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Thresholds

I'm not a Windows Mobile engineer or tuner, so I only have semi-educated guesses as to what those values mean, as Bobby correctly stated.

I didn't "recommend" those settings, either. I only recommend things that I've actually tried, and I haven't tried them. I just posted settings that seemed like they would be most likely to force the CPU to run at full speed.

Again, as Bobby suggested, you can probably play around with the values to try to balance speed vs. battery life.

Steve
  2. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Tcpmp

Probably, but that's basically what Bobby said in the third post in the thread.... :wink:

TCPMP is probably calculating the speed by using some benchmark (unless it's getting the chip's model and using a database of processor models/speeds). Intel specifies what speed the chip actually runs at.

Steve
  3. BIGD

BIGD New Member

is there any ways to overclock q?
  4. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Overclocking?

Did you search on overclock? There was a long overclocking thread that didn't seem to find any way to do this.

Steve
  5. iamjames

iamjames New Member

312mhz isn't fast enough? 312mhz is a huge improvement over the stock 104mhz. What are you doing that you need more speed?

Oh yah, i've been running at full 312mhz for the past few days and haven't really noticed a difference in battery life with the giant 3200mAh battery.
  6. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Overclocking this tiny CPU in such a confined amount of space is a sure-fire way to kill it...lol :tounge:
    BTW, using Steve's threshold settings, I haven't seen any decrease in battery life neither. I just preferred Steve's threshold method to run the CPU at the higher bus speed because it is known what the settings are, with Bobby's profile 0 method, we aren't too sure AFAIK...IMHO.
  7. BIGD

BIGD New Member

I'm running it at full 312mhz too
  8. jeremyaz

jeremyaz New Member

I also had major problems after using the profile type mod
    I had lockups galore having to remove the battery like 8-10X a day & the battery life was cut in half. I don't remember what the original profile type was can anyone tell what the original setting is? I set profile type to 5 cause I saw it mentioned & can't remember the original setting & holy crap is it fast.
  9. chrischoi

chrischoi New Member

Are you using the big battery? Lol.
  10. Roguefoxx

Roguefoxx New Member

I've been running the registry hack off and on and it seems to run fine for me. I don't notice anything different with the life of the battery at all. I haven't had any lockups or anything of that nature. I have changed it back to normal randomly though just because I really don't want to cook this Q since it took me 4 returns to get a good one. Seems stable when I do run it though.
  11. BIGD

BIGD New Member

nope but it takes a day to kill my battery :)
  12. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Original Profile Setting

The original ProfileType setting is 5.

Steve
  13. Kid_Icarus

Kid_Icarus New Member

Well, I've had this 'hack' running for about a week now and have noticed no issues with my phone draining battery any faster or locking up at all. The only time I had battery issues is when I traveled from MI to VA and was in a very mountainy region with little to no coverage. I'm sure that wasn't helping my battery going in & out of roaming & changing networks. During normal use my apps are opening much quicker and run faster also. I'm a happy user now :)
  14. iamjames

iamjames New Member

I agree. Changing the clock speed to 312 has greatly improved my Q user experience. I'm sure carriers pissed off alot of users in an effort to improve battery life by underclocking to 104mhz because i was one of those that was upset with my Q.

Not only that but underclocking broke the phone: voice recognition would not work. Only after setting it to 312mhz does the voice recognition work properly.

Question: is there a program that will handle the clock speed? I'd love to be able to just select 104, 208 or 312 mhz instead of having to hack the registry.
  15. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

I ran with the ProfileType set at 0 for a week. I saw an increase in the processing speed of apps, but I didn't see an improvement in what I think of as the "switching time" from app to phone use. I also saw a significant decrease in battery life.

I just switched back. It wasn't worth it for me.
  16. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Bad Assumptions

I think you're making a couple of bad assumptions here.

First, I'm not sure the carriers did anything. Motorola (the OEM) probably chose what power profile to use.

Second, I don't think there's any underclocking going on at all in normal use. These are called "XScale" processors because they're designed to "scale" to meet the demands of the programs running. Programs that don't require a lot of CPU probably only cause the processor to run at 104 MHz (ideally saving battery life with negligible performance degradation from the user's point of view), while programs that are computationally intensive cause the processor to run at the full 312 MHz speed (at the cost of shorter battery life). Programs in the middle can cause the processor to run at 208 MHz.

If the processor were truly underclocked (meaning the system clock was slowed down), I doubt that any simple registry hack would get you to 312 MHz.

Voice recognition generally works pretty well for me using the default power profile, so I wouldn't say that it's "broken" -- with one large exception. The exception is recognizing when I say "Yes" after it asks "Did you say...?" I rarely get the "Yes" recognized, and instead get another "Did you say...?" prompt.

If I decide to ever try this hack, I'll have to check out whether the voice recognition works better, too.

Steve
  17. Stitch

Stitch New Member

Not sure if this applies because I haven't looked at his phone, but my boss has a Sprint Q while I have a Verizon Q. He recently had an update from Motorola that addressed some speed issues (I believe there are some threads in the Spring forum on this update).

Verzon however has not issued an update through motorola for quite some time.

He stated that after the update his phone was way faster then it used to be in terms of daily functions with no decrease in battery life.

I'm just wondering if the Sprint patch increased the threshold settings.

BTW, running the threshold hack on my phone with no issues and a much noticed improvement in speed.
  18. Kid_Icarus

Kid_Icarus New Member

Voice recognition doesn't seem to be affected either way for me since I made this hack. The only problem I have is that on occassion my Bluetooth needs to be reset on the phone to get picked up, and since that's when I use VR the most that's when I notice problems...the VR works fine I just have problems getting my phone to recognize my headset :)
  19. pkpatel151

pkpatel151 New Member

Hello,

First of all, THANK YOU ALL. The posts here are really helpful in speeding up Q 9m.

I tried both, profile as well as threshold. While it helped speed up Q, I was unable to use Activesync. Whenever phone connected to laptop over USB, it always gave me "Unknown Device" error. I did extensive TS to see find resolution, but no luck.

Finally, reset all threshold values and it solved the problem.

From the posts here, no one has experienced this. Any idea what can I do to have both, profile as well as threshold, and still be able to connect to Activesync?

Thanks.
  20. la fours

la fours New Member

anyone using the at&t q? because the reg edit from the OP is not the same for the at&t q running WM6. i don't have an IPM folder.