Registry edit to force the CPU to 314 MHz

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by Bobby Budnick, Sep 22, 2007.

1. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

I had one brief lock up this morning so I changed the Profile hack back and am having no problem now. You said you are running the Threshold hack too......did you change the Profile back before you did this and if so did it change to 5 after doing the Threshold hack as mine did?

**posted from my Q
  2. bchill

bchill New Member

Not sure if this was directed at me, but in case it was... I changed the ProfileType back to 5 and then I did the threshold hack and it's been running smooth so far today. The thing most noticeable to me, speed-wise at least, is the startup screen. It's usually very inconsistent as far as how long it takes to load once it gets to the sprint screen, but I did a few test resets and so far it's been much quicker than it was before the threshold hack. My ProfileType is on 5 at the moment.
  3. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

bchill--

yeah it was directed atat you. Interesting enough the origianl Profile was set to 5 so I wonder if the settings that Steve posted are set up to Profile 5 automatic and don't require the actual Thresholds to be changed and do it on automatically.

Like you said though I am getting great performance now and am having no problems.

**posted from my Q
  4. Bobby Budnick

Bobby Budnick New Member

Very surprised to see any lockups coming from this. I have done this edit to two Qs now with no problem. I have to stress that any lockups almost certainly are coming from buggy 3rd party software or defective hardware. For example, Mundu IM, the most recommended AIM client around here, is terribly buggy and will crash the Q completely. I would imagine there is more buggy 3rd party software out there than stable software. Pyrobling, I noticed you said you had a "brief" lockup? Exactly what does that mean? I'm sure you are all aware, but if the CPU really did lockup because it was stressed too hard or whatever, you would need to pull the battery and put it back in. If you did not do this, then your CPU did not lockup. The "off" button still requires software interaction, so if you were able to use that to power off, you CPU did not lock up!
  5. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Well I ran it with both hacks and then eventually with only the threshhold hack, ....didn't have any issues from either. However.....neither gave me nothing resembling the kind of performance gains that are really noticeable. Internet browsing seemed a tad bit quicker and changing from screen to screen had a minimal speed increase, but nothing from this warrants possibly shortening the life of the CPU for. Just my 2 cents...:wink:
  6. Bobby Budnick

Bobby Budnick New Member

I can't argue with that. The faster the CPU runs the more likely it is to die. Personally, I am only likely to have the phone until my contract is up though. Also, since this is a mobile device, I am likely to break it in some other way and get a replacement. I already broke my first Qs screen. With my RAZR I broke the screen about every 6 months, and I think I am on the same track with this one :laugh2:
  7. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

Thanks for CPU's 101....jk.

The reason I said brief lockup is becuase I experienced 7 lockups where I had to pull battery before I fixed it and bout a dozen minor ones that were just lags.

This time I only had 1 lock up....battery was pulled so it was probably like I thought and is related to this hack. I said brief because soon as it happened I realized what was going on and pulled battery...hopped back in and while driving fixed the reg hack (have photographic memory for directions and such so I wasn't super dangerous on road since knew where it was lol).

As soon as I just had the Threshold hack and the Profile back to 5 everything was great and I have had zero problems since.
  8. irfan

irfan New Member

I tried this out.. changed profile to 0 from 5... some apps felt quicker.. but the battery died after only 8 hours of basic usage (email polls every hour, 10min of internet, no calls, checked for messages every now and then). Usually I can get thru a day or more. I'll change it back tonite to see how it runs tomorrow.. if its back to normal i'll try the 0 again to confirm.

Also i plugged it in to charge when i got home at 6, checked it 5 hours later.. just pulled it off the charger and its saying the battery is just about dead.... does the Q not trickle charge constantly? Once it hits max does it stop charging and start using battery?
  9. Bobby Budnick

Bobby Budnick New Member

To pyrobling - Thanks for your feedback. I asked before, but you did not answer: was it a Q9 that was locking up? If so, I wonder if there is something different about the Q9 that causes problems with this.

To irfan - Your battery life seems about right if you have a stock battery and were using the phone moderately. Keeping the screen off, not running apps with runaway CPU usage, and staying in a good signal area are keys to good battery life with this phone.

Your charging issue seems like it may be caused by a bad connection with the charger.
  10. irfan

irfan New Member

Seems like it. I have it back to normal.. after 8 hours im still on 3 bars with typical usage. The charging issue did not appear today
  11. jorge1281

jorge1281 New Member

Every time i try to do these hacks i get to the registry and it tells me access denied when i click ok to change it
  12. Bobby Budnick

Bobby Budnick New Member

You probably need to application unlock your phone with a program. I did not have to do that because my phone was not locked down.
  13. gokudre

gokudre New Member

please expand

"memory edit for Opera " please expand on this. i have opera mobile for my q. i get freezing problems...
  14. Bobby Budnick

Bobby Budnick New Member

15. gokudre

gokudre New Member

thanks. i edited it. ill try it out tomorrow
  16. Kira

Kira New Member

Hey all, bought my Q about three weeks ago and have done most of the basic hacks, but boosting the processor speed is something I'm still kinda undecided on.

Basicly my question is if from any of your testing have you find a setting that doesn't put the MHZ at max, but to a level above normal and not TOO consuming of battery life without any bugs? I'd like to set my Q to this; detailed instrcutions would be appreciated as I didn't exactly follow with how to do all that "threshold" stuff, etc. Thanks!
  17. Camthewookie

Camthewookie New Member

Does the threshold hack seem to be hell on everyone else's battery life? I'm going to have to change back since I'm only getting a few hours out of the battery now (mixture of web browsing/video streaming and voice).

I guess I'd have to do some more empirical tests to be sure, but my perception is that this hurts battery life considerably.
  18. Camthewookie

Camthewookie New Member

Steve,

Can you explain precisely what the thresholds mean? Would there be other values that might be a compromise between the factory settings and what you have recommended?
  19. Bobby Budnick

Bobby Budnick New Member

If you look at this thread, you can find most of the information you want. Steve said he was not sure earlier in this thread. I gave a guess as to what I think they do earlier also. You might try using my original registry edit instead of directly editing the thresholds. Once again, earlier I explained I was using the thresholds then moved onto this more "preferred method". There is a way to make the CPU more-or-less stay at 200 mhz or even 100 mhz by directing editing the thresholds. Find my earlier post and maybe you can make sense of it. Basically I think the numbers correspond to cpu load percentage and what to do when the CPU is above (or below) that level for an unspecified amount of time.
  20. iamjames

iamjames New Member

That's what I thought, but TCPMP reports mine as 314mhz after the "0" hack. Think it's probably just reading the cpu wrong.