Registry edit to force the CPU to 314 MHz

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by Bobby Budnick, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Idle Processor Speed

I'm not a hardware guy, so I don't know. However, I do know that there are many OS processes running even though no applications are running. (You need a special process viewer to see them.)

As far as I know, the CPU cycles per second (or MHz) is controlled by a clock, and that clock gets divided by some factor to determine how fast the processor runs. So when somebody says the CPU is running at "312 MHz", it means the clock frequency is being divided by a factor that results in 312 MHz.

Overclocking involves boosting the speed of the system clock, which results in various components running faster. That's probably why running a processor faster is called "overclocking" instead of "CPU boosting" or something else.

That is probably not what this hack is doing. It's just lowering the factor the clock gets divided by to run the processor at its rated speed. I assume Intel designed the processor to run at its rated speed for significant periods of time and that Motorola did some stress testing where the processor was kept running at that speed to test heat build up.

I think XScale processors in "normal" mode (or profile) use some measurements to decide what factor they divide the system clock by. In periods of low CPU usage, they choose a higher factor, resulting in lower processor speed, to conserve battery life. In periods of high CPU usage, they choose a lower factor, boosting the processor speed, to ensure system responsiveness (well, we know the Q isn't always responsive, but that's neither here nor there).

The normal profile is probably set to keep a balance between battery life and system responsiveness under a predicated "average load", but playing with the thresholds might allow a user to tune the system more precisely for their needs.

Steve
  2. smiller2076

smiller2076 New Member

Thanks for that info Steve! I'll have to thank you when I get off my Q. If anyone does any testing with overclocking and has some temp readings, please post! I'm too scared to fry my Q or I'd do it myself.
  3. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

The Q's clock speed is 208 MHz and it's multiplier is 1.5, so it already is set to run at 312 MHz. Now I doubt that any hack can get this to run at the full 312 all the time...why would it if not needed??

So I agree that this would not really be considered overclocking because you aren't increasing the clock speed or the multiplier, but if there is a 'boost' in performance then the CPU is being pushed, regardless of how, just wondering in what way and what might be the long term affect to the CPU.

As for overclocking desktop processors, Intel and AMD as well I figure, seems to produce CPUs that can operate beyond it's rated speed. Some say it's because they mass produce these processors and rather than having them sit around if not sold, they underlabel them speed-wise so as to get them sold and not have overstock.
    Now with mobile PC technology being relatively new, not sure if Intel would be doing the same by design, so the Q's CPU might not be able to sustain either overclocking or even running at this 'boosted' performance without any possible damage.

I can't be sure so I doubt I'll try this hack unless someone can give me a knowledgeable answer to 'exactly' what the stress to the Q's CPU will be.

I will however keep this hack in mind for future reference if I find out more about the possible effects. :smile:
  4. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

BTW...I think what Bobby was referring to as scaling, might be basically Intel's SpeedStep........ below is it's explanation...

SpeedStep>>
    Running a processor at high clock speeds allows for better performance. However, when the same processor is run at a lower frequency, it generates less heat and consumes less power. In many cases, the core voltage can also be reduced, further reducing power consumption and heat generation. This can conserve battery power in notebooks, extend processor life, and reduce noise generated by variable-speed fans. By using SpeedStep, users can select the balance of power conservation and performance that best suits them, or even change the clock speed dynamically as the processor burden changes.
    For example, a Pentium M processor marketed at 1.5 GHz can run at speeds between 600 MHz and 1.5 GHz, in 300 MHz increments using SpeedStep III. Older processors, using older versions of the SpeedStep technology, have fewer increments, such as the Pentium 4-M. For example, a 1.7 GHz Pentium 4M can run at 1.6 GHz, at 1.2 GHz, and at 786 MHz.
    SpeedStep technology is partly responsible for the reduced power consumption of Intel’s Pentium M processor, part of the Centrino brand.
  5. Bobby Budnick

Bobby Budnick New Member

I am a hardware guy and I can tell you that the original registry edit I posted in this thread does run the CPU at 312 mhz all the time. I'm not sure about the voltage, but the speed of the CPU is controlled through software like the other xscale CPUs. I have an Asus A620 Pocket PC and it works much the same way by the way of an Asus utility/driver that sets the CPU speed. Asus was kind enough to provide a front end to that for A620 users. You could set fixed CPU speeds in scales of 100 or set it to automatic scaling. Motorola has done the very same thing but the only front end to be able to edit it's settings is through the registry.
  6. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

So what you in fact saying is that the scaling, automatic or fixed, is being shut off, correct? Basically no Speedstepping. How much performance gains can that actually give you? Everything for me is pretty fast already, so what about this would make me desire to do this 'hack'? I already know what the cons are of shutting off the 'scaling', what are the exact Pros that are 'worth' it?
  7. Bobby Budnick

Bobby Budnick New Member

That is precisely what I am saying. I see gains in almost every program. Opera mobile is usable for me now, where as before it was too slow when loading and scrolling pages. I also see a lot less of the "wheel of lag". By all means keep your Q the way it is though if it works for you.
  8. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

That's what I was asking about, what programs. browser boost seems like something that might interest me, just gotta decide if I'll take the chance of whether the Q's CPU might die within a year or something like that.

Thanks Bobby, I just may try it out, especially if it will boost my browsers' speed. Everything else, that I wanted out of my Q, is working fantastically for me...mmusic, movie viewing, tethering, the only thing I wish was faster was the actual Q's internet browsing speed. :w00t::thumbup:
  9. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

So I experienced my first problem with this hack. First 3-4 days this helped out tremendously but finally it started to effect performance. I may be wrong and it may not be this hack but it is the last one I did and now I am having to do a Master Reset. I have a backup from before so I don't have to do every hack again. However, just "undoing" the hack didn't make much difference. After I did the backup then everything seems to be working again.

Problems...
    Unlock would not unlock
    Programs would open but not show until I restarted
    Device locked-up 7 times before Master Reset.

I don't know if this was just straining the device too hard or what but after looking through everything else I can only come to the conclusion that the CPU hack is what caused the glitch so I thought I would share.
  10. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

OK...got everything back to 100% the way it should be and this time I am going to test these settings....if doesn't work I'll just Master Reset and use the backup I will make just before I do the hack. I'll let you know how it turns out and if it helps/is neutral/or hurts in any way.
  11. Bobby Budnick

Bobby Budnick New Member

Which method were you using when you had the trouble? Threshold or profile method? Was this on a Q9? For the record, I have only had a lock-up one time ever on my Q. This was because I needed to do the memory edit for Opera which is a known bug.
  12. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

I was using the profile Reg Hack. Now I am trying the Threshold hack and it seems to be really great so now I am just checking my battery.
  13. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

I dunno if this would be the case with everyone....but doing the threshold changes made my Profile setting change to 5.
  14. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

CPU Scaling

Yes, some Pocket PCs do include settings applets to control the CPU speed. There are also applications (like XCPUScalar and Pocket Hack Master) that allow overclocking your Pocket PC.

I recently played around with Pocket Hack Master on my iPAQ hx2795. It has a 624 MHz processor, but Pocket Hack Master allows boosting the speed up to 728 MHz. I tried my iPAQ at 728 MHz and it ran fine -- except when playing video in fullscreen mode. Running at 663 MHz seemed to work OK in the brief testing that I did.

There's one application that I've heard of to do this on a Smartphone, but I've read that it doesn't work on the Q (probably because it seems to be meant for the TI OMAP).

Steve
  15. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

All very similar to issues when overclocking our desktop processors too much, because of overheating.....When I pushed my stock-cooled 2.4 GHz Core2Duo beyond 3.0 GHz (need custom cooling to go beyond), I starting getting those... commands not responding, programs stuck initializing, and outright PC lock-ups...

That's what I was fearing, eventual failure of the Q's CPU if pushed too hard for too long...I think I'll wait until I can learn a bit more about the consequences.
    Thanks anyways Bobby and Steve:wink:.
  16. Bobby Budnick

Bobby Budnick New Member

That does not sound like overheating or processor failure to me. It sounds like software corruption or more unlikely, faulty hardware. As I said before, when the phone is in a low signal area using data, it gets very hot anyway from a combination of the battery discharging and the radio chipset generating heat. This means that a high "case temperature" is normal operation for the phone. Remember, this is a mobile CPU. Designed for extremes. They are also not as sophisticated as a desktop CPU, which is one another reason they can take more heat. Finally, running at full speed all the time will not "stress" the CPU any more than running a desktop CPU at full speed. If this were the case, then there would be occasional stability problems on stock Qs when the software did decide to go to full speed.
  17. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

So I am getting an amazing fast speed thanks to Pony's idea with the thresholds and now I am also using the Profile setting on 0....so now running both and doing great and still battery life is good. Fairly impressed.

**posted from my Q
  18. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Profile & Thresholds

If profile type 0 is truly running at 312 MHz all the time, I would think it would be mutually exclusive with the thresholds.

I think we need to get somebody here who really knows about Windows Mobile power profiles and what they do. (And, even worse, I recall reading that it's specific to the OEM, so maybe only Motorola knows for sure.)

Steve
  19. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Well I just did both the hacks...profile & threshold.
    No issues whatsoever as of yet, will let you guys know how it performs.
  20. bchill

bchill New Member

Locked up

I've had my Q for probably around a month and a half to two months and I've never experienced a lock up until this morning. I did the ProfileType hack last night and it's the only thing I can think of that would cause my phone to lock up. I have plenty of other hacks that I put on my phone within the first week of getting it and never had a problem with freezing. My phone froze at the home screen so I did a soft reset and when it loaded back up it didn't show anything but the buttons for the start menu and contacts, and I couldn't load the start menu. Once clicking the contacts, it said something along the lines of the phone not having enough memory to perform the operation. Same error would appear when I would try to place a call - where the number I was dialing wouldn't even show up. I took out my memory card, soft reset the phone and it loaded a default home screen to where I could change the ProfileType back to 0. Not sure what the card had to do with it - only thing that makes me skeptical to blame it on this hack... I'm now using Steve's Threshold hack and the phone seems to be running great and noticeably faster than before. I'll post back if I get another error like that with the threshold hack on the phone.