Recording Phone Calls

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by Dragonspank, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Dragonspank

Dragonspank New Member

Recording Phone Calls

Anyone know of a program to record phone calls?
    Have tried Vito Audio Notes, but it does not work. Just creates an audio file about 1/2 second long with no sound. And seems like support are in no hurry to reply.
    Anyone have a solution?
    dragonspank@sympatico.ca
  2. Eric513

Eric513 New Member

Same problem

Hi Did you ever figure how to get VITO to work per chance?.... I'm having the same problem with Vito... i've also tried PM Recorder which has the exact same problem... so i'm assuming the Q has some sort of block on recording calls... ANYONE KNOW A WORK AROUND?!!!
  3. Dragonspank

Dragonspank New Member

No, I have not ever gotten anything to work.
    Since it is possible to use a bluetooth headset, shouldn't there also then be a way to record the phone call? In my way of thinking, if the Q can get voice to and from a wireless headset, then it can somehow also record that voice.
    Hopefully someday, someone with a brain will actually attempt to figure it out and not just assume it is not possile.
  4. mcapehart

mcapehart New Member

Hi,
    I see no one's replied here lately. I just found this on Vito's website:

"Does VITO AudioNotes record phone calls on all devices?"

"VITO AudioNotes doesn't record phone calls on Pocket PC due to OS and hardware restrictions. It records phones calls only on Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphones. Sometimes it also doesn't record phone calls on Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphones due to hardware restrictions. Currently VITO AudioNotes does not record phone calls on Moto Q and Samsung BlackJack"
  5. Toddvg

Toddvg New Member

Vito

PMR came out with a 2.8 that they thought would work on the Q, I tried it and still no go.. I am about to switch phones with VZW since this is a feture that I would love to have.. anyone else having any luck ???
  6. C-Squared

C-Squared New Member

in response to the above

I don't know if any of you have tried this, but should be a simple fix. Most current gen Moto phones have the voice memo app., and if excuted during a phone call will record said phone call.

I hope this helps some people out. Unfortunately for people using handsfree, you still have to launch the application from the phone.

PEACE
  7. iamjames

iamjames New Member

Anyone figure out how to record phone conversations on the Q?
  8. .plaid

.plaid New Member

Hello C-Squared,

I just tried to use the native voice memo app and I found that I could run the program in-call but that the recorder wouldn't begin...recording...while on the line - I had to end the call first.

Have you tried this method and confirmed that it works? Could you record a few seconds of your voiemail inbox and post it here?

Dubiously skeptical,
  9. iamjames

iamjames New Member

being able to record conversations seems like it would be a fairly obvious feature to include when they designed these phones. So much for the so called "smartphone".

this is my first post from the phone, does a pretty good job of displaying the messageboard properly
  10. C-Squared

C-Squared New Member

in reply to .plaid,

i will try and get that done for you ASAP. I use to do it all the time on my razr, so it should be know different on my Q.
  11. iamjames

iamjames New Member

this thread was started in january, so in 9 months no one has figured out how to record phone conversations and no one seems too concerned with it.

I'm pretty pissed at VITO, they did a great job of hiding the fact that you can't record conversations with their software. If you go to download sites or even there website everything says "record phone converations with your smartphone!" thats one of the main reasons I bought a Q. Seems like this thing is becoming less and less a tool and more like a toy. "look mommy i can pay alot of money & expensive data plan and check my email everywhere i go!" oh yippy
  12. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Your right I've been reading these forums for 9 months from top to bottom and I haven't heard anyone else say that "recording a conversation" was the main reason for buying the Q. I run 38 different apps on a regular basis and never thought about it. If it's really one of your maim reasons maybe you want to exchange the Q while you are in the 30 day trial period (hopefully your carrier does that.) and get a phone that meets all your major needs.

Good luck
  13. iamjames

iamjames New Member

that's really shocking, i'm the only Q user that wants to record conversations? I have tenants and lawyers and contractors and other crazies and need to be able to play back to them what they told me a week ago, especially when going to court. In the past I've recorded conversations with a digital camera's video function but really loved the idea that the Q could do it automatically.

I can't return the phone. I renewed my contract at some event where I got a $150 credit by doing so. I had to take a phone in order to renew at that time, but they didn't have the Q yet so I took some crappy phone. The Q is already my second phone. I'll see if I can return it but it's unlikely.

i still can't believe there's no way to record. Seems like there's dozens of recording programs for WM5 PDA phones but none for Smartphones?
  14. iamjames

iamjames New Member

15. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Again good luck...should be something...maybe search some other forums too. We at EQ don't have all the answers but when we find things elsewhere we bring it back and share....hint
  16. iamjames

iamjames New Member

17. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Well that's a start on your research. I took a quick glance and most of that bible talked about recording from the built in mike or headset jack.

I think part of the problem is the phone rerouting the sound feed both to the earpiece and to the recording software. If it's a software function then there are probably programs that can do it. If it's a hardware restriction then no way.

I'm just a retired businessman and don't have the expertise to do other than make the above guess but there is a lot of info on the web and you'[ve made a good start by googling (try other search engines too) and searching and reading.
  18. iamjames

iamjames New Member

no you're partially right:
    http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=513&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
    "This is because most? all? PPC PE's route the sound of the phone conversation completely separately from the Pocket PC part – they just don't route the sound to the PPC and they, therefore, can't record the sound of the other party directly (unlike, say, the above-mentioned Sony-Ericsson phones), only indirectly."

which is kinda funny because he goes on to say:
    "you can't expect good recording quality of the sound of the other party currently with any PPC PE device. This is diametrically opposed to the situation with several "dumb", cheap mobile phones; for example the above-mentioned S-E t610 or most other S-E phones starting with the t68 (pre-68 models like the R520m doesn't belong to here). These "dumb" phones all make quality recordings of both participating parties. In addition, Series 60 Nokias and S4x+-series Siemens mobile phones are also said to have excellent conversation recording capabilities"

So... yeah, apparently cheap, old "dumb" phones can record, but the new "smart" phones can't, least not in software/OS. Why are smartphones getting dumber?
  19. iamjames

iamjames New Member

these guys have a interesting VOIP app for smartphones that, if i'm understanding correctly, allows you to make all your calls VOIP, so you're never using airtime. It'll also record all your conversations and only needs 90 kbps (RTTx1) to operate.

http://www.qtechinc.com/speaq.htm

too bad it doesn't work on WM5 "smartphone" edition
  20. iamjames

iamjames New Member

it's reasons like this that i'm pissed:
    http://software.brighthand.com/platformMain.asp?deviceid=350

that's the section for Motorola Q software. If you search for AudioNotes the VITO software pops up and says:
    "
    • record phone calls (for WM 5.0 Smartphones)
    • auto record phone calls
    "

but it doesn't record phone calls on the Q, not even in speakerphone

here, again:
    http://www.smartphone.net/software_detail.asp?id=2130
    says nothing about not being compatible with the Q

think there would be a lot less confusion and disappointment if developers stopped lying about applications.