receiving long messages

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by corallini081, Oct 25, 2008.

1. corallini081

corallini081 New Member

receiving long messages

my phone cuts off receiving text messages after 160 characters and sends me another message that the preceding message was modified. is there a way to change that so it allows longer messages? i can send them and it tells me is going onto 2 pages but it still works. none of my previous phones had this problem...
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

nope... more then 160 characters is called email..
  3. txter

txter New Member

i saw a hack somewhere in here for adding an EMS script in the regestry. i did it & it worked for me. i can send & receive txt over 160. it does come in 2 pages. i am on VZW.

found the thread.
    i had to save the page then copy & paste it here so sorry if the link doesnt post right.

http://www.everythingq.com/forum/moto-q-hacks/vz-moto-q-9m-enable-ems-11500.html
  4. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

well! i was just recently having a crisis with this and will check it out! I needed a confirmation code from yahoo and of course it was character 160+! my vzw doesnt split....

thanks!
  5. txter

txter New Member

if you have a problem i can check my reg & see what i put it in. i did it just as instructed by the link. for the record, i have a Q1 on VZW.
    as Rude says..... more than 160 is an email but not everyone is "high tech" with these kinda toys. their till in the dark ages with good ol plain jane cells.
  6. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

that would be cool as I tried it many ways with resets and no go...

thanks!
  7. txter

txter New Member

ok... i went back & looked @ mine. i followed that microsoft link. i DID NOT do anything from the phonescoop link.
    in my reg i created that Dword for EMSHandlerInstalled. i didnt name the value. it still says new value #1 and the value under that is a 1.
    are u following the steps....
    HKEY CURRENT USER / SOFTWARE / MICROSOFT / SMS / TEXTSHARED.
    open up text shared & create Dword.
    i did all that. turned her on & off & then sent & received a txt to & from someone on my carrier & also another carrier.
  8. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

oh...so create a whole new key (folder) named EMSHandlerInstalled..and then new dword..un-named? haha...i might of tried that! This is where i sit currently...
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

EDIT...also if i do a new key called EMSHandlerInstalled under TextShared and do a dword under that...un-named with a value of 1...i get the ole "cant create dword without a name"!

ALSO...haha...thought I'd mess with those Ascii values and anything higher/lower shortens the length of sms I get! btw...this is by far not critical..just seeing if i could increase the limit!
  9. txter

txter New Member

well i take your using Resco. im using PHM so mine looks diff. id post an image but cant upload from Q1 & i dont have online w/ my PC.
    when i get to the EMSHandlerInstalled, i click on that & a blank screen comes up. i hit the left softkey (value) & NEW KEY #1 shows up. i then hit left softkey (keys) & all value come up. its named NEW VALUE #1 prob because i never named it. the value data is set @ 1.
    i didnt mess w/ anymore than that...
    let me know how it goes & if that other setting for length work. thatd be sweet.
  10. jjfan71

jjfan71 New Member

:angry:AAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! i cant get this to work !!!!!! i'm following the microsoft link to a tee and still cant get it to work. if this matters i have windows 6.1 and have both phm and resco, q9m....what am i doing wrong ?????? any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED
  11. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

first off, remain calm & collective...
  12. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

ummm...yea. I'm not really too much in need of this but my curious side will make me try. So far no luck...but i'll try a few more things...other keys/dwords/values! we'll see......
  13. jjfan71

jjfan71 New Member

LOL.......ok rudeboy, i've mellowed out !!! still cant get it but mellow:wacko:
  14. jjfan71

jjfan71 New Member

thanks for the input treefrog, greatly appreciated :smile:
  15. txter

txter New Member

what provider do you have ? i have WM5 so that explain it. i only had to create this key once. it worked for me. although this is my 3rd Q & did it on all of them. it hasnt failed me yet.
  16. jjfan71

jjfan71 New Member

i have verizon wireless and windows mobile 6.1. thanks for any help u can give txter :smile:
  17. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

maybe, just maybe i will give it a go.... at some point, for shits 'n giggles.
  18. jjfan71

jjfan71 New Member

can u keep us posted ?? whether its more shits than giggles, either way :wink: thanks rudeboy
  19. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

okey dokey... i did what was described, added a key with a dword.. wrote myself a long ass sms, and got 2 sms'es delivered, was that what we wanted ?
  20. jjfan71

jjfan71 New Member

thats exactly what we wanted. i guess i'm just a dumbass cause i dont know what the hell i'm doing wrong. i must b misunderstanding the directions or something. try getting a long ass msg from someone else though, see if it works. might b a different outcome