Rant/Vent/Etc

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Weapondrift, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

Rant/Vent/Etc

So yesterday I was coming back from trivia and while I was driving along a BMW started trying to race me. Over the last few months I have given up racing everyone I come into contact with, simply because Im burnt out of it. Anywho, Im driving along and the BMW kept passing me, slowing down, speeding up and slowing down for about 8 miles. We turned onto the main road leading to my house (which is a HWY) and I was driving right along...now I will admidt that I WAS speeding (i was going 60 in a 45) but as soon as I turned down the road I remembered what the speed limit was and I started braking...well guess what? A cop just happened to be sitting behind a tree. When he clocked me, he actually clocked the BMW's speed which was 71mph. My roommate was behind me during this excursion home and can attest to yes I was going 60, but theres no way in hell I was going 71. The cop of course turned on his lights, and the BMW took a right to avoid getting pulled over (so to that person I give you a big middle finger). I got pulled over and the cop argued with me about my speed, I told him YES I was sppeding but there was no way in HELL I was going 71. I told him the BMW was trying to race me and he said "well I didnt see the BMW." Of course he didnt, he was to busy looking at the nice shiny acura street racing car with his head up his bunghole. He told me if I wanted the speed detector recalibrated I could "petition" for it to which I politely said it wasnt the calibration Im worried about, it was where you wer pointing it. So to wrap this up, I now have a speeding ticket and yet one more reason to hate BMW's.
  2. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Hmmm....at the extreme risk of pissing you off, although that isn't my intent at all, speed limits are established for a reason, people die in street racing, and it's usually the a-hole behind the wheel of the BMW you should hate, not the BMW itself <G>.
  3. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

speaking of calibration, did the cop put the last time the radar was calibrated on the ticket? I he didn't you should be able to fight the ticket anyway.
  4. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

I understand that the speed limits are in place for a reason and thats why I try to follow them to the best of my abilites. However, as I meantioned I dont street race anymore mostly due to exactly the reason why it is illegal. I stopped racing simply because it wasnt worth it anymore. After while you get burnt out of it like I did. You didnt piss me off no worries :) and it is the person behind the BMW to which I hate. I guess imo he should have pulled us both over, not just me.
  5. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

Thats a good question, Paco. Ill check that when I get home tomorrow.
  6. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I am not familiar with the laws in every state of course, but I've never heard of that piece of information needing to be on a ticket to be valid and contestable.

Since you admitted you were speeding, your (in my opinion) sole recourse is to go to court, explain the situation to the judge, and ask for a reduction to 60 from 71. You're still going to get nailed, you're still going to get points, you're still going to get a fine, and if in telling the story it comes out that you're a habitual street racer, I doubt the judge is going to show much mercy to the strict facts of the case as stated by you.

You could request the calibration records of the radar, but just for argument's sake, if they are correct, you've seriously weakened your case, because now you're saying...wait...the unit was bad...oh...it wasn't...ok...I was speeding, but you got the wrong car... it just sounds...well....lame.

In some states, the officer needs to show up in traffic court and so if you go, and he doesn't, the ticket would most likely be dismissed.
  7. EQBob

EQBob New Member

True...and I've seen a bunch of times where that's happened...but if he truly didn't see the BMW....not much to do about it...
  8. EQBob

EQBob New Member

9. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

10. EQBob

EQBob New Member

ok...In your original post, it sounded like your ticket was for 71 and that's why you were so upset, because you knew you were only doing 60. But if the ticket is for 60, sounds like you were treated fairly.
  11. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

Lol, sorry I wasnt clear :)
    when i do wrong by the law I will admidt to doing wrong. Like I said earlier tho, I my only argument to being treated fair is that he should have pulled us both over. Like you said also tho, if the cop had truely not seen the other driver, then there is nothing I can do. I just wished that he had seen the earlier driver and pulled us both over.
  12. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

13. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

Been there done that (on both sides of this one). If you ever raced on the street and didn't get nailed try and think of this as the universe righting itself. Last time I did race my eclipse I was pulled later that night for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. Mind you it was 2am and It was just me and the local cop sitting under the bridge sleeping. Still that b.s. ticket was better than the 90+ in a 45 I had done earlier. :)
  14. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

90 in a 45 ahh i remember those days lol. I found out my ticket is officially going to be 130$ >.<
    Well it beats time in jail at least :smile:
  15. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

In N.C. they also take your car... but they have to prove you were racing and not just speeding.

$130 isn't too bad. did they give you points also?
  16. EQBob

EQBob New Member

So as a potentially interesting side bar, we could report how long we've been driving and how many stops/tickets we've gotten.

I'll start

Driving Time: 27 years
    Stopped: Twice, Once at 17, Once at approx 35.
    Tickets: None
    Warnings: One: 35 in a 30 zone.
  17. tman065

tman065 New Member

Stopping speeders is kinda like going fishing. Have you ever caught ALL the fish in the lake?
  18. EQBob

EQBob New Member

So how do people here feel about automated enforcement mechanisms, like cameras that detect your speed and mail you a ticket fif you're exceeding say +10 over?
  19. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

seen some of those speed traps in Phoenix. They may have cought 1 in 10 blatent speeders. Most read the signs plastered for miles warnin of the area slowed down. Then when clear spead back up.

What concers me are the variable speed limt signs they use in FL. One day an area can be 65 the next 45. Just another money maker.
  20. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

yep, i got 3 points taken off my license. if its 20over but less then 35 you get 3. if its 35over you get 6 points taken off.