Question on how to Use the Multi-Tasking

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by TheDFO, Sep 29, 2011.

1. TheDFO

TheDFO Member

So, with the new multi-tasking feature, it seems that an app is put in the background if you exit with the home or search button, where as it is closed if you tap the back button.

And you can hold the back button to go to the manager. And then you can select what you want to switch to.

My question is...can I close something from that screen? All my tries seem to either A) start the program, or B) move around the list

Any help? As an FYI, I have the Focus.
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

The only way to close an app is to enter it and back out. One thing to note though are those apps are not really running. They are in a suspended state and taking up very minimal resources. Some apps, like Last.fm and similar, are assumed to be able to run in the background once updated.
  3. TheDFO

TheDFO Member

I asked just because I don't like going into the task manager thing, and having to sort through 10 different screens because I didn't bother backing out of the apps the first time.
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I would like to see a kill all option or at least a way to "x" apps out from with in the manager. But MS has been pushing the idea of not having to kill apps/programs, because it actually takes less resources to restart from a suspended state as opposed to a closed app. It's the same as starting a car, it requires a considerable amount of battery juice and gas just to get the engine rollin.
  5. TheDFO

TheDFO Member

I'd agree with Microsoft, except if you leave an app multi-tasking, it doesn't always re-start if you open it through the normal means. For example, I've had several instances of the messenger tile running at once, because I'd hit the home key, instead of backing out (sometimes 3-4 times), and then I would go back through the tile, because it's faster than using the multi-tasker.
    ninjaap likes this.
  6. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I agree they should fix that part.
  7. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

8. RobR

RobR Member

I don't need the ability to close the app but sure would like the option to choose which App(s) I want to keep in the list of 5. I've been at the SharePoint conference all week using an App made specifically for it to track the sessions I want to attend. Multi task was useless because the App kept getting dropped off the list just by reading emails or text which required me to launch the app and click multiple times to get to the session details. The odd times that it remained in the list it worked well since it was MT enabled and it resumed to the correct time location.
  9. TheDFO

TheDFO Member

Another issue I just ran into - some apps can require absurd amounts of back pressing to close the app. I think I had to hit back something like 8 times to get out of my SMS. Now, that's annoying, but it gets worse, IE comes to mind.