Question about q's chronic power off problem?

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by chamberspins3, Apr 14, 2007.

1. A.G.P.

A.G.P. New Member

Hello VT... Does your Sprint Q have the latest software version also? And did you fix many errors (such as phone turning off by itself, freezing, unresponsive at times) with Total Commander on yours? And also, where can I download TC or any other registry hack??? Thanks.... I know that was a multitude of questions...:foot:
  2. A.G.P.

A.G.P. New Member

Hi AdamzApple, just wanted to ask if you purchased the latest Version of the Sprint Q... (with touchtone keypad jpeg which is how everyone seems to determine their phone's software version)? Just wanna see if we have the same version and if not maybe that's why one Sprint user can download TC and not another....?!?!? Thanks...:smile:
  3. geoff101

geoff101 New Member

Total Commander works just fine on my sprint q...didnt need to unlock anything....stay the course on what i said....dont get side tracked...find a copy of it and install it on the q, it doesnt take much room....then follow the path and change the value....it works...
  4. geoff101

geoff101 New Member

the sprint q, isnt 'locked'....you just need a registry hack program to get to the registry...like total commander or any number of them...you're probably referring to another program...
  5. adamzapple

adamzapple New Member

My apologies. The registry editor that a search on the this forum for "Total Commander" took me to MobileRegstryEditor which I downloaded and was the one that gave me the Access Denied error.

I've gone to the Total Commander website and will try downloading it. I don't know which version to download though. None of them mentions the Q by name? The version I did download didn't seem like it had a registry editor, only file compare, FTP, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Adam
  6. A.G.P.

A.G.P. New Member

Thank you again..... so much. Holy crap this might be too much to ask but can you help me at this point? (OR ANYONE ELSE?:foot: ) I have just downloaded Total Commander 6.55 Public Beta 3. It says I have a month to use it as trial... The problem now is WHAT NOW????..... Ok, I might sound like a moron but pls correct me if I'm wrong. I should proceed to hook up my Q to my PC and run TC at the same time, right?... From there, what??? How do I go about fixing my current Q issues (phone turning off sporadically, freezes and unresponsive at times....) ? And what other changes/fixes can I do to my Q with TC? Tell me to "SHOVE OFF" anytime, k? LOL :frown: :smile: And perhaps anyone else will care enough to help a lost "Q" soul????? :tounge:
  7. geoff101

geoff101 New Member

go to this link http://www.ghisler.com/smartphone.htm download the .cab version and download it to your q...either download it directly, or transfer it from a pc...then install it....then you will see it when you hit the start button on your q...
  8. adamzapple

adamzapple New Member

I have Total Commander successfully installed on my Q. Where's the registry editor?
  9. geoff101

geoff101 New Member

ummm, that IS the registry editor...you should see it under your start menu...open it up...it'll look similar to file manager...you'll see some folders...at the top you'll see a folder with two "\\" next to it...highlight it and hit the silver button...then follow the path:hit registry>hklm>drivers>builtin>ipm>low power mode change that value to a '0'...zero....hit ok...and exit the program....

just to verify it works, i hard reset mine yesturday for an unrelated reason, and didnt change this value...mine locked up today, and had all sorts of lockup problems yesturday....i switched it this afternoon and all is well again
  10. adamzapple

adamzapple New Member

Geoff,

You are the man. I've made the change and am now crossing my fingers in the hope that my Q will not lock up again. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Adam
  11. adamzapple

adamzapple New Member

I just did the same verification. I did a hard reset and the 0 value "stuck." That's great. I wish the DDTM: Off field code setting would "stick" but no such luck. Fortunately, the only time I need to power off the Q is when I'm flying (which is way too often.)
  12. geoff101

geoff101 New Member

yep the value will survive a soft reset...it should work...let us know!
  13. A.G.P.

A.G.P. New Member

I truly wish I knew what you guys are talking about....:embarassed: GEOFF101, I did what you told me to do, downloaded it onto my pc but for some reason the files don't open at all and won't even extract. So then I try to redownload while Q was connected hoping maybe it'd give me that option of downloading it directly... no such luck. I even tried to drap and drop, nothing.... Just wanted to thank you for all your help. My phone still keeps shutting off and I think I won't bother exchanging cuz I'm out of my 30 day and also at the end of my patience. Just have to suck it up and deal with having a "retarded" version of the Q. Hopefully when I have time I will continue to read on (esp. on this board) and figure out how to do what everyone else seems to know what to do already to fix problems. Just wanted to say THANK YOU....:angry: :2cool:
  14. geoff101

geoff101 New Member

ok...did you download the total commander? is it a .cab file? if so you need to transfer it to the q, then run it...then in yor start menu on the q, you'll see total commander listed as a program....
  15. A.G.P.

A.G.P. New Member

Hi... Yes I downloaded it but when I click on files to be extracted it says Windows cannot open file.... I did everything you told me to do so far... nothing. Can't even open them. Downloaded tcmdphone.cab and saved it on PC. It just shows as file cabinet jpeg on my desktop. Then when I open it up, it shows 5 files to extract. When I attempt to extract, it saves it on my desktop. When I click on each it says Windows cannot open.... WTF am I doing wrong?????? SORRY FOR THE AGGREVATION but I swear this is soooooooooooooo frustrating. Q phone not only dies sporadically too often, now it freezes on "dialing" when I try to make a call.... TOO OFTEN NOW! I am ready to throw it down my toilet unless someone can pleasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssse help me with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:
  16. indyx

indyx New Member

You seem to keep overlooking the fact people are telling you TO COPY THE CAB FILE ONTO YOUR Q AND THEN RUN IT ON THE Q. (Open file manager on the Q, navigate to the folder you copied the cab file to and run it. It will then install total commander on the Q.)
  17. adamzapple

adamzapple New Member

Well, I have one bit of bad news following the registry edit. My Q locked up today and I had to remove the battery. It didn't lock up while the screen was dark. The screen was light. Perhaps the edit only works to prevent freezes while the screen is dark. I was somewhat disappointed that the freezing is still occurring.
  18. repomandoug

repomandoug New Member

You are having the same problem I am having especially the thing with having to remove and replace the battery. I am with sprint (surprise) and I was just wondering if you were with the same carrier. They have replaced my Q twice already and the third one is now doing the same thing, I hope they just got a bad batch of phones. Did you get any help to fix the problem you are having from motorola?
  19. repomandoug

repomandoug New Member

Hate to jump on this late in the game but, I installed TC on my Q and followed your directions but the 0 value will never stay after its edited. What am I doing wrong on this, the 4b value will not ever change, Thanks in advance
  20. adamzapple

adamzapple New Member

Yes, I'm with Sprint but from hanging out on the forums I understand Verizon customers are getting the freezes too. I have not traded my phone in nor have I sought help from either Sprint or Motorola. The freezes are annoying but infrequent enough that I can live with it. There are so many plusses about the Q that I'm willing to put up with a little s**t.