Question about q's chronic power off problem?

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by chamberspins3, Apr 14, 2007.

1. chamberspins3

chamberspins3 New Member

Question about q's chronic power off problem?

I know there is already a thread about the q shutting off for no reason but i was hoping if anyone who has or had this problem ever found resolve. I have had 3 q's in 4 weeks and my q shuts off whenever it feels like it sometimes 9 times in a day. I did however get it to stay on while plugged in and also while unplugged if i set the phone to keep the home screen on not lit but visible. It's almost like if the phone has nothing to do it shuts off. I had the software upgrade done and also changed battery's but didn't seem to help .If anyone has any suggestions i'm all ears or i will sadly need to send my Q into a woodchipper.
  2. indyx

indyx New Member

I don't know what to tell you. I've had my Q 4 weeks and it never powers down on it's own.
  3. chamberspins3

chamberspins3 New Member

Well im now about to pick up my 4th q in a month. I spoke to motorola and they didnt have a clue and made it sound as if this is a new problem. Sprint told me if the 4th one was bad then they will figure out what to do about it . I sort of wonder if its possible to get a bad batch of phones that were sent to a certain area.
  4. fadein34

fadein34 New Member

Mine also shuts off about 5-10 times per day. Called Sprint tonight and need to go to the store to exchange it for a new one. I've had it less than two weeks. Wife has one also (two weeks) and hers never shuts off. Nutty!
  5. softspirits

softspirits Guest

Shut Off

I have had my phone 3 days, and it shut off for the first time today. I am glad to see I am not alone in the problem, and I hope it will never do it again... yeah right!
  6. indyx

indyx New Member

I've had my Q for about 1.5 months and it never shut off until today. It happened 2 times. Both times is was tethered to my PC via USB and I was using PDANet to surf the internet. Strange, it just beeped and shut down. Battery was fully charged. even more aggravating is it wouldn't power back on. I had to take the hard case off and pull the battery before it would turn back on!

I don't think it's the same issue you guys are experiencing. When yours shuts down does it power back on with the power button or do you have to pull the battery before it'll power back on? Does this only happen when you guys are on battery power but not the charger or usb?

It's odd it happened twice today but never before. I haven't installed anything new recently that might have screwed it up...
  7. adamzapple

adamzapple New Member

I've had my Q for a couple of months and have had the spontaneous power-off approximately half a dozen times. I've also had the phone on a charger all night long only to find it didn't charge the same number of times. I've just upgraded the software to the latest rev but I'm not holding my breath. Generally, I love the Q but these bugs are annoying and inexcusable. Sprint/Motorola are you listening?

Adam
  8. geoff101

geoff101 New Member

there's a registry hack that fixes this...works like a charm.
  9. newQuser

newQuser New Member

How to do ...

Care to Share , where we can find it and How to install :laugh2:
  10. geoff101

geoff101 New Member

hklm>drivers>builtin>ipm>low power mode....change the value to "0"
  11. adamzapple

adamzapple New Member

Fixes what exactly? The spontaneous power-off or the non-charging?
  12. geoff101

geoff101 New Member

this fixes the lockup problem when its in sleep mode
  13. adamzapple

adamzapple New Member

Thanks. How do you hack the registry? Do you need third party software to do it?
  14. A.G.P.

A.G.P. New Member

Hello, will this fix the problem? I wouldn't even know how to do this as I am lost to all this.... I'm on my 2nd Q and reluctant to keep exchanging and returning. I did speak to a Motorola agent who had me check the version of my Q and he said it was "an old version" meaning "bad" probably..... When I went to upgrade it said I already had the latest version... LIES!!!!!!! So now he suggest I send the phone to them or Sprint AGAIN.... I am at my wits end with returning and exchanging..... If someone can tell us how we can just possibly upgrade the phone elsewhere aside from the MOTOROLA site or something you'd be saving my life...... It is quite embarassing too to have to pull out the damn battery while you are in public all the time not to mention INCONVENIENT... Help guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry: And WHY ON EARTH would Motorola allow Sprint to sell "OLDER VERSIONS" or "BAD VERSIONS" of the Q's? It's like they sold Sprint the TEST DUMMIES and now Sprint sells it to us customers..... TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  15. geoff101

geoff101 New Member

hit the green button on your phone, then look at the top, if there's a yellow banner across the top with letters and numbers in it, you're on the latest version, if it just says, 'sprint' you need the update.

second, yes, you need to instal a registry hack program that will give you access to the phones registry...something like total commander...you can find a copy if you search this website enough...its free, then follow the path using that programto change the key value and your problem will be fixed
  16. A.G.P.

A.G.P. New Member

Hi and thank you!!! Yes, it does have the letters and #'s, kinda like the keypad of a home phone, right? I will now attempt to search for a 'registry hack'. Don't know what it is but I know I need it right? (Do I still need to do this though being that I seemingly have the latest version?) Total Commander? Question, will it be something I download on my Q? If so will it take a ton of room? Can I download it onto my storage card instead? Then "follow the path".....??? :foot: Oh sorry, don't know what that means but I'll attempt to figure it out. :2cool: Thanks and wish me luck.

17. adamzapple

adamzapple New Member

I don't know about Verizon but using this hack on a Sprint Q requires downloading another program -- ae something -- to prevent the Access Denied message.
  18. A.G.P.

A.G.P. New Member

Thanks... Really? When you say "this hack", do you mean the one that was suggested like Total Commander? If so, is there another one I should be searching for? Please, can anyone verify this before I go searching and downloading something I have no business doing? AHHHH! Thanks you guys!:foot:
  19. adamzapple

adamzapple New Member

That's right. Total Commander does not work on a Sprint Q because Sprint has "locked" the device. It requires the ae-something program to unlock first. I've downloaded and tried Total Commander myself and can confirm this.
  20. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

I installed Total Commander day one on my Sprint phone and have had no issues.