Qh and Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by ArieMcD, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Phrozt

Phrozt New Member

Hell.. it's worth the hassle of re-installing/hacking all my stuff just to get wifi :)
  2. drinkwaters

drinkwaters New Member

Man I wish it was true...
  3. drinkwaters

drinkwaters New Member

fyi

There is a canadian company here which claims they can unlock wifi on some devices (something about some devices which were manufactured by samsung vs htc??) The non-samsung have the wifi which is disabled.
    I might go and see if mine is one which has wifi (they have to open it up to see so I have to work up the courage to do it)
  4. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Samsung vs HTC ????

Um, Motorola manufacturers their own phones. Hell, they built and operate the Nextel iDen network. They have a hand in every aspect of the communications business. No one makes Motorola phones other than Motorola.

The company you are referring to says they can because the first run of Q9h's apparently still had the Wi-Fi chip, but later ones dont. Its been discussed here before, and the consensus is none of us have that early of a model. I had a Day One model, and I think even that was late.
  5. drinkwaters

drinkwaters New Member

6. mexiken

mexiken New Member

After reading your post and my reply, I thought about that. But even then, its a bit of a stretch. It'd be a bit expensive to go through one of them, and also, the whole competition thing might get in the way.

I think we should get pictures of the inside, that way, we can know for sure.
  7. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Could you take some pictures anyway ???? Maybe close up on any letters you see on any chips, or just any letters you see in general. That will help go a long way in determining whats in the phone, and what isn't.
  8. unsung

unsung New Member

at one point i worked for R Sloutions (radio shack owned) kiosks that sold At&t (cingular then), Sprint/Nextel, and Alltel phones and contracts. i still have some buds that work there, which none of them are working today though, but hopefully if they get a return on one, and have to ship one off for refurb, i might be able to get them to let me up one up.

the kiosk doesn't open up untill 11am today, so another hour i'll call and see if they even carry the q in their at&t line up. (they might not since their not a corporate at&t store)
  9. Techpilot64

Techpilot64 New Member

No More Motorola phones

NEWS ALERT
    from The Wall Street Journal

March 26, 2008

Motorola announced it is separating its mobile-devices and broadband and
    mobility-solutions businesses, creating two independent, publicly traded companies.
    The company expects the creation of two stand-alone businesses to take the form of a
    tax-free distribution to Motorola shareholders. Shareholders would subsequently own
    shares of two publicly traded companies.

The move sent Motorola shares up 6.4% in premarket trading to $10.35 and meets a
    request long sought by activist investor Carl Icahn, who is seeking representation on
    the company's board and sued the company earlier this week to get documents related
    to the mobile business.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, please see:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120653178742465255.html?mod.value.wsjNEWS

The article link above is also mobile friendly. Mobile users, click the link to see
    this story now.
  10. unsung

unsung New Member

no they don't offer the the q at the kiosk, so no pics from me :embarassed:
  11. Technician

Technician New Member

Little off topic no.... ?

Back to to Q9h and WiFi yes I believe the WiFi hardware is not in the Q9h but it will be in the hopefully soon to be released Q10.
  12. Techpilot64

Techpilot64 New Member

No.
  13. tendomentis

tendomentis New Member

Considering that Boy Genius received yet another Q9 from AT&T with WM 6.1 AND WiFi for review, I'm really starting to wonder if the soon-to-be-released WM 6.1 update for the Q9 Global will "unlock" the potentially built in WiFi on my Q9 Global.

I mean, one Q9 global with WM 6.1 and WiFi (AT&T branded no less) is one thing, but TWO AT&T branded Q9's with WM 6.1 and WiFi??? AT&T certainly seems to have a lot of these prototype/test bed Q9's with WiFi if they're sending upgraded phones to the same reviewer multiple times.....OR, the WiFi really does exist in all the Q9 Globals and the update will just unlock it (not too unlikely, seeing as we had to "unlock" our GPS hardware too).

I could be wrong, but I certainly hope I'm not.
  14. DanITman

DanITman New Member

Why would Moto want to hide something like this? This is a selling point that I think they should have marketed from the beginning. The only thing I can think of is that the software wasn't ready for launch. The Q that BGR has might be lacking GPS which would make it the world version.
  15. GraemeCR

GraemeCR New Member

I didn't have to "unlock" GPS. It just worked with both Google Maps and Windows Live - out of the box. I didn't purchase the "Get TeleNav GPS Navigator" which is still in my Applications folder.
  16. GraemeCR

GraemeCR New Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "world version". I have what I call the Euro version (as well as the AT&T one) - it doesn't have AT&T 3G bands - so I think since BG's has AT&T branding it's most likely got GPS on board.... unless they (AT&T) plan to offer 2 different versions.
  17. tendomentis

tendomentis New Member

DanITman:
    Why would AT&T send Boy Genius the European model of the Q9 to review? If you think about it, that would make no sense at all. While it would have made the Q9 more appealing if WiFi had been offered on the Q9 initially, AT&T is REALLY pushing the 3G network that they have spent so much money to build out, and free WiFi everywhere would undercut their attempt to sell data plans on their 3G network. Inversely, T-Mobile pushes the WiFi on their smartphones and PDA's because they currently do NOT have a 3G network, but they do have not-free WiFi all over the USA. But now with AT&T taking over the Starbucks WiFi from T-Mobile, they may feel that being able to sell WiFi along with 3G makes perfect business sense NOW, so they MIGHT be using the next firmware upgrade to roll that out option out to existing devices.

One can only hope.

GraemeCR:
    You have to "unlock" the GPS if you want to use almost any other GPS software (like TomTom or Route66). Only recently has navigation software been written to take advantage of the "new and improved" way that smartphones handle internal GPS. The unlocking process basically just inserts registry entries that allow other navigation programs to "see" the GPS hardware.
  18. ArieMcD

ArieMcD New Member

Calling MoTo As I Read This

Hang on and I will let you know what they say about this...... Cross Fingers.

OK Here Goes....

Just spoke with Eduardo (Motorola) and he stated the following.

No information on Windows Mobile 6.1 upgrade availability.

Motorla is pleading the 5th on if the 6.1 update will incorporate Wi-Fi enablement. He stated all versions of the Q "Possibly" have Wi-Fi chipset internally but are disabled.

Worst news yet is... The Q9m and Q9c are atleast external Wi-Fi Compatible (Micro SD slot type) but the Q9h is not. Strange???

Man I hate this ATT game.
  19. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Please see the thread entitled, "W.M. 6.1 upgrade" for info on that.

I really think 6.1 will actually unlock the Wi-Fi. Its that way on both of the BGR Q9h's.

Its not all AT&T's fault. They can only release things so fast, and there are business decisions behind things. Most of the time, they benefit the customer, sometimes, they do not. Microsoft was quick to point out in their keynote speech that AT&T was fully behind them for 6.1, and they commended them on their support and work. All the phones that were used to demo 6.1 were AT&T phones. Just bear that in mind when 6.1 actually debuts.
  20. Phrozt

Phrozt New Member