Qh and Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by ArieMcD, Mar 11, 2008.

1. jasotastic

jasotastic New Member

I was looking at the join dates instead of the post dates, so I thought this was an old thread and wasn't going to say anything. Upon further inspection I noticed the dates were recent, so...

I bought my phone three days ago because the salesman told me that I could use the wifi capability without tethering and paying a $30/mon or so fee. Then when I tried to set it up, I called AT&T for help and the support person said that I would have to pay after all. Kinda irritating since I had to buy a wireless router from them and then I pay them $45/mon for DSL as it is. Anyway...

I looked in my registry using a registry editor for the phone and found something interesting.

HKEY__LOCAL_MACHINE\System\State\Connectivity
    InternetSharing is set to 0x0 so I set it to 1

then I made a connection to my wireless router like so...

Connections > GPRS > wifi (my name for it)

Connects to: WAP Network
    Access Point: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (from wireless router)
    User name: <blank>
    Password: <blank>
    Authentication type: None
    Primary DNS: xxx.xxx.xxx.1 (also from wireless router)
    Secondary DNS: xxx.xxx.xxx.1 (again, from wireless router)
    IP address: <blank>

I finally got a screen that is the same screen I get from my wireless router on my PC's browser when there is a internet outage while I'm using the browser. So, I know that it's bouncing off of the router because the screen is router specific. That's as far as I've gotten with this.

I also noticed that once I soft reset my phone, the registry setting went back to 0.

Hope someone finds this information useful.

After setting the registry default to 1, I soft reset the phone the screen didn't appear and instead I got the phone's generic internet failure screen.
  2. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Ok wait. I'm confused. I tried what you said, but what then ???? You can't set the phone to use that, or try. It doesn't quite work like that, at least on my Q9h.

I put the phone in flight mode, and still nothing. I changed the connection settings around, and nothing.

What did you do after you hit "done" for the connection info ????
  3. GraemeCR

GraemeCR New Member

You're not alone. I changed the Registry setting, cycled power and checked Registry - value had reverted to '0'.
  4. Techpilot64

Techpilot64 New Member

I just bought my Q9h (2days ago) - a bit disappointed that it didn't have wifi, but happy otherwise.

I found this thread, and decided to see if there was any update available from Motorola - downloaded the Motorola Software Update and tried to connect:

Motorola's servers are currently updating, try again later.

hmmm...?
  5. DMofDoom

DMofDoom New Member

I am fearing this to be the case.
    I don't know either but some good pics would be really cool.
  6. Snoballz

Snoballz New Member

I'm hoping there's a dormant chip inside. When I purchased My Q9h from AT&T in December, it was advertised as having WiFi.
  7. tehbishop

tehbishop New Member

do ANY of the Q9c/h/m have wifi in them, even if they're disabled? That might be the first place to start looking. Would love wifi as well.
  8. ArieMcD

ArieMcD New Member

WiFi

I just spoke with Motorola again about this issue and (A Different Agent) told me that there is a firmware update completed but they are just waiting for the "Green Light". She also confirmed that it WILL incorporate the drivers for WiFi. I only inquired about the Q9h.

Fingers Crossed:angry:
  9. unsung

unsung New Member

yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!!!! (i got go clean myself off after that :tounge:)

*noob question about updates: if this comes out and we update, does it wipe all the apps out installed on your device? never updated mine yet, or had one to update proir.
  10. mcaram16

mcaram16 New Member

How will we receive this update??? how do we receive any updates on this phone? do they automatically get sent to the phone?, is it via sync?
  11. ArieMcD

ArieMcD New Member

I will call MoTo back after lunch (1pm) my time, ask then post the answer.
  12. Techpilot64

Techpilot64 New Member

When Motorola has an update for it's phones, they make it accesible from their servers using the Motorola Software Update tool (which you download to your computer from the website).

Goto Motorola.com - click the suppport tab at the far Right of the page

In the 'Service my cellphone' area of the next page, there is an option to 'update my software'

Clicking on this takes you to a new page where you select your carrier and model of phone - if you don't see your carrier or phone model, there is no update available at that time.

If there is an update available, it will prompt you to download and install the Motorola Software Upgrade tool

Run the MSU program, THEN plug in your phone - the program will sense your phone, find the update, download and install, and reboot your phone, and viola!

Let's all hope for one soon, 'cuz there ain't none now!
  13. unsung

unsung New Member

i tried to download the update software, but they don't list at&t in the carriers in that selection box. hopefully this is because we can update over the air.

i tried to through the windows update in settings on mine, none available atm.
  14. tjgehc

tjgehc New Member

Hey need help

Hey I got a new moto Q 9 h & facing problem in creating sub folder under inbox to keep my important msgs. I would really appreciate your help.

thanks
    tjgehc
  15. unsung

unsung New Member

pretty sure this has nothing to do with the topic at hand here...( and i thought this would be the confirmation post about wi-fi :embarassed:)
  16. Techpilot64

Techpilot64 New Member

I'm new to smartphones, so I'm not sure, but I don't think that the motorola software update is going to give you the same thing as the windows update action under 'settings'

My thinking is, just like you're home PC, windows update patches the holes and security issues, but the drivers need to come from the manufacturer of the hardware.

So I think that updating 'over the air' will only happen if AT&T actually pushes the update out - which I don't think will happen. I updated my Rzr several times with updates that were a few months old each time.
  17. unsung

unsung New Member

if at&t doesn't push the update over the air, i wonder if the update will even be available to us at all then, if one does come out for it.

they blocked my e62 from being updated, i don't see them approving this either if it's left up to them to decide.
  18. Techpilot64

Techpilot64 New Member

Then we hack!
  19. ArieMcD

ArieMcD New Member

Fyi,

Just got off the phone with MoTo.

When the update is available make sure you back everything up.

It WILL delete everything ! ! :angry:
  20. Techpilot64

Techpilot64 New Member

WHAT!?

NO ETA for the Update???

What kind of advance man are you?!!

No, seriously, that sucks -glad I haven't had mine long enough to have too much on it yet.