Qh and Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by ArieMcD, Mar 11, 2008.

1. ArieMcD

ArieMcD New Member

Qh and Wi-Fi

Hello All,

This maybe old news but maybe some good news and I will believe this when/if it happens.

I spoke with techician (Moto Support) yesterday and he told me the following about Wi-Fi:

All Qh's have Wi-Fi chipset installed but are currently dormant.
    Firmware update to enable it is in the works and will be deployed AT ANYTIME NOW!

He said "You will receive a text message stating that a firmare update is available. Accept the update and that's it".

Fingers Crossed !!
  2. Technician

Technician New Member

No way.... I do no believe this.
  3. unsung

unsung New Member

i was reading how an HTC model mobile has an update that will unlock gps in that model, it was there all along but just inactive.

i was chatting with a friend about wifi on the q9h, if it's there and unactive, and low and behold this post!!!

seriously everyone cross their fingers on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (i feel like a kid at christmas time right now :tounge:)
  4. unsung

unsung New Member

5. GraemeCR

GraemeCR New Member

I am, like you, hoping for WiFi, but my guess is that WiFi is in the Registry to cover Hardware which has WiFi. WM6 is not built just for the Q 9h. (Just as Windows XP/Vista has Drivers for stuff that my PC will never have.)
  6. unsung

unsung New Member

yeah, you have a valid point. i am still totally new to wm6 or any other version for that matter.

we don't have wifi now, but the possibility of having it still makes me giddy :2cool:
  7. GraemeCR

GraemeCR New Member

I'm with you. WiFi would make the Q 9h closer to perfect, IMO.
  8. Technician

Technician New Member

Remember the guys that offered at one point to turn on the WiFi chip in the Q9h?

They later said only a very few of the early released Q9h had the ability.
  9. dwboston

dwboston New Member

It sounds too good to be true but I guess it's possible. I'm sure most of us have seen the Boy Genius Report video of the Q9h with WM 6.1 and WiFi. It would be great to have that functionality in there and unlocked via an update but I'll believe it when I see it.
  10. ArieMcD

ArieMcD New Member

WiFi Folder

GraemeCR touched on this but,

If you look in the registry, There is a WiFi folder.

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel

Unless Moto uses a common registry for all Qh, this folder might be a clue.
  11. dwboston

dwboston New Member

I've seen those folders - they could be generic Windows Mobile folders since there are WM devices with Wi-Fi. Hey, I'm hoping there is a Wi-Fi chip buried in there that just needs a firmware update to work, but somehow I doubt it. I thought I read somewhere that AT&T didn't want the device with Wi-Fi - maybe because they sell the Tilt which does have Wi-Fi?
  12. ArieMcD

ArieMcD New Member

Curious What's Inside

Could Be.

I wish I had the guts to open my phone up and check for the chipset.

I did talk to a technician at MOTO and he assured me that all Q9h[s have the chipset installed. We will see....
  13. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I spoke to someone much wiser than me regarding regstries, and he agreed. There aren't generic registries. Its pretty much device specific. Meaning, at some point along the line, there had to be a chip in there. Or plans for one, something to warrant it. Now, whether they all made final assembly, if there and whether they're powered by the pcb or not, whether they actually function or are dormant, are the real questions....
  14. drait

drait New Member

Man, I wish I would've looked a little closer at all the components when I had my Q9 apart the other day when I swapped the housing :(
  15. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Did you take pictures ????
  16. drait

drait New Member

Nope. I used the mini guide that was posted in the hacking forum that already had a few pictures of the housing removal.
  17. unsung

unsung New Member

my train of thought is if it's in the registry, more than likely the hardware is there just inactive.

i'm new to wm6 like i said, but i'm pretty swift when it comes to symbian os. i know that nokia doesn't have a generic template for all the 3rd edition os's, meaning say like my e62's version os, is going to be different from the e61's os simply because the e61 has wifi and the e62 does not. and by flashing the e62 with the e61's firmware doesn't "unlock" wifi in that model, the hardware isn't there. each has it's own little differences for each model, hence a different registry for each device.

like dwboston stated, at$t may have chose to hide this feature by choice, keeping customers away from using voip or push you towards the tilt if wifi was needed.

a prime example of this is my e62, with it's at$t firmware restrictions on my device, i'm unable to update it's firmware through nokia pc suite. which would fix some many bugs/issues with the device, then i wouldn't mind using the bloody thing. :angry: (rant over, anyone wanna buy a e62?:tounge:)
  18. jmreed97

jmreed97 New Member

Is everyone talking about Full wi-fi here? Or are you talking about a wi-fi chipset that would support a microSD wi-fi card.

Trying to figure out exactly how excited I should be about this possibility.

I would love to have wi-fi but doubt I would be willing to buy an SD card for it.
  19. GraemeCR

GraemeCR New Member

The wish/hope/prayer is the same for everyone, I think. On-board! (Not the SD version.)
  20. Phrozt

Phrozt New Member

I actually have a dead Q9h that I could look at.. but I wouldn't really know what to look for.

As for the wifi reg key, you can do some searches on here and the general consensus is that they are for configuring wifi miniSD cards if/when you purchase and install them. I would love to have wifi as well, but it's not a new topic, and unfortunately none of the previous topics have found favorable results.