Q9n settings to access cisco systems VPN??

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9n' started by macuser, Mar 25, 2009.

1. macuser

macuser New Member

Q9n settings to access cisco systems VPN??

Hi folks:

This is my first post here. I hope this is the correct place to ask this question.

I'm attempting to configure a Motorola Q9n using its on-board VPN software to access a University wifi system. I've done this same task from my laptop using client software from Cisco Systems. That worked fine.

I'm curious if anyone out there has had any luck configuring the Q software to complete a similar link successfully. I can "see" the wifi signal and even connect to it, but it isn't transferring data successfully.

For what it is worth, I've used the handset successfully via wifi on my home wireless network and I've even used it successfully on campus by connecting it to my PC via USB cable. But I just haven't been able to crack the VPN barrier to connect on campus wirelessly. That would be a nice bonus.

I know that *some* handsets work on the University system; iPhones in particular. The IT helpdesk basically says they don't support connections from cell phones.

If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Thank you very much.

- Dave
  2. PaulfromPA

PaulfromPA New Member

I have virtually no knowledge of setting up wifi connections, but I did notice that I had to use internet explorer instead of opera mini in one airport to access their network. Once I started using internet explorer, a page popped up that had me accept terms of service, and then all browsers worked. I doubt this will solve your dilemma, but who knows.

3. macuser

macuser New Member

Paul:

Thanks, but you are correct, that doesn't help resolve the VPN issue.

The problem I am having is connecting via wifi to a secure system using Cisco Systems concentrators. I've got lots of signal, but can't seem to negotiate the settings with the onboard VPN to connect successfully.

Are there third party VPN clients that anyone has used successfully?

Thanks!

- Dave
  4. macuser

macuser New Member

Is it bad etiquette following up on your own post? Regardless...

This third party VPN issue hasn't been a top priority for me, and I'm not sure anyone else is actually interested in this feature, but for what it is worth, I found two interesting options.

First, experimenting on a PPC xv6700, I managed to configure a program called Antha VPN that enabled a connection to the secure Cisco wireless network where I work. That is done all the time on laptops, but not so much on handheld devices. That was one success, but a limited one. The program only runs on WM devices with touch screens, so it didn't work on the wifi Q that I had by then acquired.

Fortunately for me, I found another option from another company; NCP Secure Communications. They provide a VPN client that runs on the Q and enables the same connection that I had configured on the PPC.

Interestingly, Antha loads on your wifi phone and is configured there, on the phone. NCP loads software on both your PC and phone. You then do the set-up on your PC and download the settings to your phone.

PS -- I'm not affiliated with either company, and while both provide free trial periods for their software, both are in business and charge for their products. I'm just sharing this information in case others might find it useful. The trial periods are wise, too, because unless you know a lot more about secure wireless networking than I do, you probably won't get this set up right the first time. The advantage to either program is that they are *highly* configurable, much moreso that the onboard VPN clients that come on either of these phones. Neither of those worked at all for my purposes. Becuase they are highly configurable, they can be adapted to almost any situation. And the best part from my point of view is that both companies provided absolutely outstanding customer service. They had folks who not only had incredible expertise with their product, they were quite personable as well.

- Dave