Q9M vs. Blackberry Curve...need advice

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by jskinvest, Apr 5, 2008.

1. jskinvest

jskinvest New Member

Q9M vs. Blackberry Curve...need advice

I have had my Q9M for a month now. Overall I think its great..my first smartphone. However there are a few quirks and bugs that I think mostly everyone on these boards may be familiar with.

Verizon just announced the Blackberry Curve for May release. I am thinking about getting that in May and selling the Q9M. Can anybody articulate what advantages WM6 has has over the Blackberry Curve that may convince me to stay with Q9M?

Thanks
  2. Geeky907

Geeky907 New Member

Well Im not a Q owner yet, but i have been researching them a bit on both sides, because like you, im somewhat undecided on the Q or the BB...

Here's a couple Pieces of info AKA less-published truths.

Q:
    * WindowsMobile platforms are somewhat more popular to develop for.. due to the wider range of devices that use it

* Motorola Makes an AMAZING product.

* Windows Mobile is as it says WINDOWS, it acts like windows in many ways. learning where things (settings/features) are is very intuitive if you're already a windows user

* Windows Mobile is more Modifyable by the end user

* many argue the WM mail client is Far supperior to the BB version

* Q has an MicroSD slot!

* Q can be used as a Data-Modem for your computer. (tethered mode)

* Q has a FULL SIZE keyboard, some of the Perl's DONT, they're a Condensed Keyboard (shift key to get every other letter)

Blackberry( RIM - Research in motion):

* Very Intuitive, for the Non-Tech-Savy types. ... Kinda like MAC... "It Just Works"

* EXCELENT package.. Phone, Software, Services... Its a "Full Soloution"

* RIM Software is mostly "Closed" Meening less modifyable out of the box.
    * To enable "PUSH E-Mail" you need to have access to a blackberry server..

* RIM Offers a model that has Integrated wifi AND GPS. and will automaticly switch to WIFI if there is one in range.

* RIM offers PUSH Email services at the enterprise level.

Vets- Did i miss anything or mis-state anything?
  3. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

The Q9m has a mini SD slot, not micro SD, though it can use micro SD with an appropriate adapter.

\from my Q
  4. jskinvest

jskinvest New Member

Why would some say the WM6 email is far superior. Blackberry is push email real time....WM6 has to retrieve it at set intervals or manually. WM is HTML email though..is that the reason or are there others.
  5. For speed, BB takes the cake, but there are too many outages lately.
    I have the 9m and my brother has the 8830......however, the bb plans are cheaper than wm plans.
  6. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

I've always heard ppl say that if all you care about is email and ease of use, then get a BB. If you want a device that's more robust in terms of media and other productivity applications, then Windows Mobile is the way to go.

\from my Q

7. I would agree with this....BB is very easy to use, but their apps aren't that appealing to me (the default calendar and contacts)
  8. SuperJETT

SuperJETT New Member

He's talking about the Curve, it has a full keyboard like the Q. The Curve and World Edition are more comparable to the Q than the Perl you describe.

9. The blackberries in recent weeks are having server crashes like crazy....my brother is constantly having to reset his bb because RIM is having network issues.
  10. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

My girlfriend's sister was having some trouble with changing her text ringtone on her Pearl, so I took a look at it. Most of the settings menus I looked through were cluttered and uncolored; not very easy on the eye. It also used weird labels for each thing--the ring label was "tune," which I passed over a few times before trying it. It struck me as a little more "tech-like" than the simple WM menus.
  11. blueeyeq

blueeyeq New Member

SEVEN e-mail thru Alltel

Never had a BB, but I almost switched a few months back. Was having major problems with my Office Sync e-mail (individual, not corporate) until I got put onto SEVEN's over-the-air push e-mail (which I guess is taking the place of Office Sync-see link below). No software required on the desktop at work and e-mails arrive instantly, sometimes before they hit the desktop inbox. Like I said, never had a BB but I have had my Q for almost two years now and still going strong. I am more interested in function over flash (no interest in music/multi-media), so I can see how the BB might be more desirable for some. My buddy just got a Curve, and my bro is supposed to be getting a Storm soon, so I will definitely be checking them out.

http://www.seven.com/products.individuals.html