Q9m Startup animation revealed!

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by gadget, Oct 8, 2007.

1. gadget

gadget New Member

Q9m Startup animation revealed!

OK after a lot of trial and error I have figured out the Q9m startup animation.
    It's really quite simple compared to the regular Q.

Here is an example that I put together, note that it looks a lot better on the Q than it does here.

This image is not the startup image, it is only for illustration purposes. I have provided a link below for the actual file.

[​IMG]
    To create your own startup animation (these instructions are for Photoshop) create a new document that is 320 x 5280 pixels and 762 pixels/inch. That will give you 22 frames at 320 x 240 pixels.

The first frame of your animation will be at the top of the document and each frame of your animation will be exactly 240 pixels below the previous frame.

After you get the document all arranged like you want simply save it as a jpeg and copy it to your Q.

Then rather than over writing the original, name it something different and copy it to your Q (I copied it to the windows directory).

Next open up your favorite registry editor and navigate to:
    HKLM\Software\Motorola\Splash Animation\Startup
    You will see the string data "Image", open it up and change the value to reflect the path of your new startup image.
    Close the registry editor and restart your phone.

for example, using the image I created my value for Image is \windows\vzw_animation_cb.jpg

Click here to download the image I created

You can load it to your phone and use it or if you want open it up in Photoshop and get an idea of what it is supposed to be like.

As always...
    If you try this and mess up your phone I can not be held responsible.

gadget
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

wow.... looks great.
  3. TJM

TJM New Member

that's pretty cool! awesome job
  4. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

looks great indeed
    glad to see your still around here gadget!
  5. GPeaslee

GPeaslee New Member

Just confirming this also works on the q9h. Hey Gadget - do you have a shutdown animation you could post for those of us that are Photo Shop challenged?
  6. lbmmoh

lbmmoh New Member

Has any one actually remove the att startup sound and animation? The other Q hack pages dont work.
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

Gadget is not here often (anymore)..
  8. GPeaslee

GPeaslee New Member

On the q9h, change the string value for the Startup and Shutdown sounds to \windows\*none* in HKLM\Software\Motorola\SpalshAnimation. In the same sections are the string values for the startup and shutdown animations. I found a vista_startup.gif file in another thread and tried it for the shutdown animation. It didn't work on the q9h, but it's like having no animation. You just get a black screen for a short time, then the phone turns off. I didn't try it for the startup animation but don't know why it wouldn't work the same there. I also tried changing the animation string value to \windows\*none*, but it just caused the phone to reboot.
  9. Rood87

Rood87 New Member

Hey guys, I got the startup from gadget to work on my Rogers Q9H, but when I try to change the startup sound, I replace the .wav with the new one and it just doesn;t do anything. No noise at all... I'm wondering if they are different types of wav files? and I'm trying to use the wrong type?
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

you did overwrite the original ? i believe that is what you need to do... i am not sure as i haven't done any of this, my phone hardly ever gets rebooted so i am not interested in changing the startup sound/animation...
  11. Rood87

Rood87 New Member

I tried changing the name and overwriting and that didn't work, then I tried to change the file in the registry and just copy the new one into the file, and that still didn't work. thats why I'm thinking it is the TYPE of wav file you are using. maybe even just a different bitrate?
  12. manbat

manbat Active Member

Quick Test--Mona Lisa

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello All,

This Is my First post here......Don't know if anyone else has used this method. I used Banner Maker(Shareware) to extract file from an animated GIF. Then I used Photo Scape (Freeware) to combine the extracted files. The extracted files just have to be "240" high. They have to be at least "320" wide ( they can be a little larger and it still works). This software does this much easier than Photo Shop, and it's FREE! I tested the process on the GIF of the "ThumbPrint Startup" GIF listed above and it worked also. There are some other startups GIFs for the original Q on other sites that can be converted for the Q9m this way. I Made quite a few....Only took about 5 minutes apiece. Someone else had done lot's of the work, though. I am working on a couple from scratch......I'll post them If they come out well. I attempted to attach an example of the Gif I used for this test and also a zip file of the completed jpg....we'll see if it works

Thanks to Gadget for pointing me in the right direction.

Manbat

I finished the Animation I've been working on....It Kind of symbolically gets rid of "Verizon" at startup....since that splash screen will NOT go away(it's in the ROM) I have several versions of this startup animation...I'm posting this one.
    [​IMG]

..It's much better than the quick Mona Lisa I threw together for an example. This screen scans the Verizon off the screen one letter at a time and then shows a Motorola logo w/ " Hello Loading your personal settings" displayed. This animation is 29 frames long and plays GREAT! I don't have any where to host it so I am attaching a zip file(w/ the animation), an animated gif..so you can preveiw on your computer and a startup image that is the same as the last frame( you can customize it with your name etc.(I use Photo Scape FREEWARE to do it). If you like it please let me know.

Attached Files:

13. manbat

manbat Active Member

Added new files

=======================================
    Version 3

[​IMG]

GIF image is "NOT THE ANIMATION"...for illustration only

I attached the filmstrip file.... I keep all my startup animations in a folder in my SD Card and adjust the registry to point to them....WORKS GREAT!!Just go to HKLM\Software\Motorola\Splash Animation\Startup\Storage Card\***where ever you put the Image***.

If you like it ...let me know!

==========================================================
    It appears that the file was displayed with each frame being its full 320x240 resolution. You can still just click and save on the "big" film strip. It will be saved as a small image that can be used by the Q9m. Use Gadgets instructions...posted earlier in this String...to install in Q9m.

Attached Files:

14. jareda17

jareda17 New Member

As far as the sounds go. It is the same process as changing the startup splash screen. You don't have to overwrite the file, but it does seem that it needs to be an 8 bit wav file. I was able to change it on my Q9h.
  15. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I was able to change it on mine also.
  16. 47seijar

47seijar New Member

Is there a way to simply turn off the opening/shutdown animation? I have that annoying AT&T Fireball 3G crap and I'd much prefer nothing at all.
  17. n99hockey

you could try to change the registry to 'none' not sure what that would do
    not having this wont speed up the boot up

but there will always be the initial carrier screen when it first starts up
  18. panzol

panzol New Member

how to motoQ8

how to in motoQ8? please. i want it
    thanks
  19. n99hockey

possibly look for the same file listed here OR something like animation.bin
    in the windows directory
    \windows
  20. manbat

manbat Active Member

If it uses a .bin looks at the original Q start up string

================================================
    I have created many that will work on the Q9's ....They use a jpg film strip. Original Q used a .bin file.....I never worked with them. There is a string where Gadget has .bins posted for the Original Q There is a program that creates .bin files from animated gifs that will work in the "Original Qs". I think it's out there also. (It might have been in Qusers though....Are they GONE?) I might have it saved somewhere on my computer...I'll look later. Have never looked through a Q8 to know what it uses.