Q9M slooowwwwinnggg down

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by erupert, Jan 9, 2008.

1. erupert

erupert New Member

Q9M slooowwwwinnggg down

For the past few days, my Q9M is has been getting progressively worse. Most notable is when coming out of keyboard lock, but really, any time that the phone has been resting with the screen off. When you try to use it, it takes forever for the screens to come back, almost like pulling programs back from the hard drive to RAM after sleep mode on a PC. If I can get to task manager, a "kill all" seems to pep things up, but generally, there's nothing there but clientshell and maybe sync manager (Verizon). Showing about 30MB in use of 50 so there seems to be plenty of free mem. I've had the phone since the beginning of Nov.

I can't really pinpoint anything. I don't have that much installed, but I uninstalled everything but MS Live and Google Maps. I went into IE and deleted the temp files. I switched Sync Manager to once/20 minutes instead of push in case it was part of the problem.

Any thoughts? I am thinking about a master reset but sure would like to be able to find the culprit if possible so that I don't have to do that.

BTW - Q9M with a 2GB card.
  2. jasoraso

jasoraso Member

Does your Internet Explorer store the temp files on the main memory or have you done the hack to store on the SD card?

Regardless, I would try the program "SKTools" cleanup tools (there is a lite version that you can use for free). It has various options to delete temp files and bad registry links (if you deleted lots of programs, you probably have some of these).

If that doesn't work, I'd say do a master reset (you don't have much installed now anyways). AT this point, I don't think you'll be able to identify the culprit if it was a bad program install.
  3. erupert

erupert New Member

I haven't tried the hack, but even after installing the SK Tools and trying to run multiple passes at cleaning things out, still no go so I wiped it out. Good news is, it only took about 45 min to get everying thing back on, most of my preferences set and an outlook synch to get my contacts / calendar back.
  4. Q4K

Q4K New Member

I know that for mine MS Live was creating some speed issues. I removed it and all is good. Not saying the prog is bad, I may have had a bad D/L. Haven't had time to try it again.
  5. MWYada

MWYada New Member

Same problem - Q9m slow

I'm having the same problem. Maddening. The only way to fix it is a hard reset. I've done this probably 10 times over the last few months.
  6. erupert

erupert New Member

Well, it's been about a month and so now I am back to getting the slowdown again. I've been working with SKTools Lite and using the "soft reset" which seems to help. Not sure what is bogging it down. My personal feeling is that it's related to the VZW sync. When it's crawling, I am only using 31MB of 50 so there's plenty of memory free.

Agree, very frustrating because when it's working properly, I really like this phone.
  7. MWYada

MWYada New Member

I tried SKTools but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Some folks are reporting that the Q9's own Task Manager might be causing a problem.

I noticed that other Task Managers report additional tasks which are hidden from the Q9's? Maybe that has something to do with it?

AGREED... other than this frustrating problem, I like the phone a lot.
  8. erupert

erupert New Member

What other task managers? Is there a freeware one that I could try to see what else is running when it's doing this? I am thinking VZWsync is part of the problem.

I also noticed that after I synch with ActiveSync, it's crawling.
  9. HTrednek

HTrednek New Member

I have had 2 treo's and 2 q's before my Q9m and VZW sync was always a drain and dramtically slowed down all these phones. Some may use it's functions but I think it's crapware. I can check my email directly and I sync once a day so for me I don't need the functionality. Even if you do, a master reset and reinstall will bring back your speed if only for a while.
  10. erupert

erupert New Member

Sure wish I could find some pattern. Friday evening, the phone was just freaking out. I was trying all the SKTools (free up RAM, clean, etc). I am generally only using about 28-29MB of 51. ANyway, went to bed thinking that in the AM, I would do a hard reset. In the AM, the phone was working perfectly. All day Sat and Sunday. Nothing different, no new programs.

This AM, started out slow and now, I had to pull the batt because I couldn't get it unlocked. So frustrating because there doesn't seem to be a pattern. It just craps out when it wants to. I was thinking for awhile that it was wireless sync. The double arrows would be on for like 10 min at a time. The only change I made on Sat AM, was to deselect "push" and enable "check every 20 min" instead.

Nothing out of the ordinary installed and NO hacks.
  11. ouijal

ouijal New Member

Anyone come up with a solution for this? I have been seeing it lately and it s drivng me crazy. Used to work fine and now it slows down all the time after no changes whatsoever.
  12. erupert

erupert New Member

for me, it was the text suggestion. I turned it off and my phone has been fine ever since.
    settings-text input
    in there, menu has a choice to clear the buffer. I also turned it off because I didn't use it
  13. MWYada

MWYada New Member

Really???

Was your performance painfully slow (like longer than a few minutes to change screens?)

And did JUST changing this setting fix it immediately?
  14. ouijal

ouijal New Member

I did a number of things at once and the problem went away (for the time being). I did them all in 1 sitting so I can't narrow it down much.

1)Turned off predictive text as recommended here.

2)Uninstalled VTap and the Opera browser. I am not blaming these 2 pieces of software at all and found them both quite useful, but I just wanted to eliminate some extras and I had seen both of these mentioned in various threads on the slowdown issues.

3)Ran SKTools lite and removed any references to VTap, Opera and any other uninstalled software that were laying around.

So far, so good. No slow downs at all. Before when I ran IM+ it was a sure thing the phone would go to pot, but since I did the above it chugs right along.
  15. Dlanoz

Dlanoz New Member

I did that as above and it completely fixed my problem!

Settings > Text Input Settings > Menu > Clear Input History

My phone was completely jacked and almost unusable for about 2 weeks before I cleared this out. Now my phone works like a champ. Let me know if that fixes your problem. Also, I have turned off the Auto-Correct all together.
  16. erupert

erupert New Member

For me, the phone was a nightmare. The slow switching, sometimes up to a minute or more for the taskbar to appear. If I loaded SKTools, it wouldn't become functional for about 45 sec - 1 minute.

I turned off predictive text and cleared the buffer. It was immediately responsive and I have not had any trouble since (with the exception of a little bit of explorer issues the past couple days).
  17. criticman

criticman New Member

I just wanted to throw another vote in for the "yes this worked" in terms of this fix. I was about to throw my phone across the room, calmed down, realized I am a frickin' IT manager, Googled "q9m freezing" and found this thread, as well as several others. Sure enough, cleared buffer, disabled it, all better. My phone was freezing when I tried to unlock it, IE was slower than normal (30+ seconds between clicking Address bar and it showing up), text messages would freeze or stop showing text (could save to draft, reopen, resume, save, reopen resume to get it to finally send), only removing battery would "fix" it and only for a short time. I would also lose txt messages and other data when removing battery. Now all is right in the world and I am quite happy with the Q9M again.