Q9M in a coma...

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by Q9MNewb, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Q9MNewb

Q9MNewb New Member

Q9M in a coma...

I wanted to say it was dead, but it's not exactly dead! It all started last night: I was showing off the Doom port I'd dled and installed to a friend of mine. He gave it back, and I guess I didn't exit properly and just did the home -space lock combination before holstering it. Got back home, and the verizon screen was showing. Restarted it, same thing... took the battery out, put it back in and restarted again. Same screen.
    Being that it was late and I was tipsy, I just connected it to the charger and went to bed. Repeated reboot/battery replacement in the AM... Same thing, but it actually got to the windows mobile screen before freezing.
    I took it in to Verizon, and they couldn't do anything either. I removed the SD card, tried again in their presence, still no luck. I was past the 30 days (by a couple days) so they called up some other tech support (motorola?) and will ship me a new phone by tuesday.... So I'm a little pissed.

I just tried calling it when I got home. I can leave a message, and have it notify me via alert sound that a message has been left, but can't access the phone at all.

I haven't gotten too crazy with tweaking it or adding on to it. Last thing I added was that doom cab (2 days ago). Before that it was Agenda extreme trial. (last week) I've also had installed for a couple weeks +: MotoQFlashlight, Pocket Nester with a few games, TCMCP, mp3 files.
    I've copied over a few other trial cab files but haven't installed them.

I've had a few problems with the my q9m; insensitive 4/S key, poor battery life, bluetooth headset (could be a headset issue) not connecting to previously paired headset; requiring repeated pairing to find it or cutting out (so music switched to phone speakers) and then back on; as well as a few trippy reboots (with weird straight lines streaking across the display both vertically and horizontally). and now this. Hopefully this new phone won't have the same issues.

Anyone else had this problem? Or suggestions on fixing it? (since I can't wait till tuesday?) What about using a desktop based registry editor that I can try to get to see the device? I haven't tried syncing with a pc yet, so I'm not even sure it it would work that way. **edit** I can explore the phone via active sync and can move files on and off my desktop to the phone.**
  2. mdbrandy

mdbrandy New Member

Interesting. Last night I left my Q9m on the counter (On). This morning, it was off. Tried to start it, and it got to the verizon screen and froze. Thought it might be discharged, so I plugged it in all morning. So far now, I've gotten to the verizon screen, to a blank screen, and now, finally, after taking the battery out a couple of times and putting it back, I have gotten to the battery charging screen (with the silly battery in the middle of the screen that shows up when you charge the phone while it's off). I'm charging it off the plugged-in charger, and not a USB connection. I'll leave it charging for a while and then see what happens. Its almost like the charge was so low that you could not turn it on OR charge it! But that would be odd, since I didn't do all that much with it yesterday, and I started with a full charge (supposedly...).

Good luck to us both...

Mark
  3. Q9MNewb

Q9MNewb New Member

Hey Mark, thanks for your input. Do you remember if anything was still running when you left it on overnight? Have you added any programs or tweaked the registry? Have you tried it with the SD card out? What about totally flushing the power in the phone (take out battery, hold down power button for 10-15 seconds) before rebooting?

With mine, I saw the charging screen come up right away, and have gotten to the windows mobile splash screen. Good luck to you as well with yours. Keep us posted on what you learn. Verizon offers a by phone return request (1-866-406-5154) where they'll ship you a new (refurbed with original warranty period or 90days, whichever is greater) phone if they diagnose it as needing it.

Theres gotta be some way of plugging into a pc and hard resetting it somehow. Anyone...?
  4. mdbrandy

mdbrandy New Member

Apparently I'm lucky. After letting it charge with the battery icon going for a few hours, I unplugged it, turned it on, and it's been running fine ever since. Other than tcpmp and a couple of codecs, I haven't installed anything else, and I haven't messed with the registry yet. I have a 4GB card with a bunch of mp3's, but nothing else. And I haven't done anything to it for several days other than just use it.

From what it looks like to me, the battery got low enough that the phone turned itself off. Then, when I tried to turn it back on in that state, it messed up the system pretty badly. When I plugged it in with the frozen verizon screen on, it failed to charge. Only after taking the battery out to really get it turned back off, and then charging it from that state did it come back.

I'll be watching it for a while now. Other than a couple of minor application crashes, this has been my first problem with it since mid-Sept when I got it. And since it IS Windows, I expect some app crashes:frown: .

I'll post again if something else happens.

Mark
  5. Q9MNewb

Q9MNewb New Member

Right on Mark, glad it got sorted out. I keep going back to my phone like a pavlovian dog, and reseting the phone, hoping it'll snap out of it!
  6. Q9MNewb

Q9MNewb New Member

back in business

Got my new (refurbed) q9m in the mail yesterday, and so far so good. I'm going easy on adding things for now :)
  7. mcgil463

mcgil463 New Member

howd you get your sdhc to work? mine wont work... it doesnt recognize the card in the phone
  8. mdbrandy

mdbrandy New Member

Sorry to hear that, but I can't be much help. I inserted the card, it was recognized, and works fine. It is a 4GB SDHC Toshiba card. I had a 256MB Sandisk card that I picked up cheap before I got the 4GB, which also worked "plug and play". So you can't see it in the file manager utility as "Storage Card" ? It doesn't always show up as an icon on my home screen depending on what other icons are there.
  9. glachapel

glachapel New Member

I purchased my Q9M in NOV07 and it just started to power off on it's own. It ony does it when the ohone is locked by pressing home/space. Once it powers off it will not power up with the power button, I must remove and replace the battery and then the power on button will turn it on. When it comes back it is still in locked mode and I can then press unlock/A to get back in business. Verizon is sending me a replacement so we will see if this is just a hardware issue or a bug in WM6. Also I am running plain vanilla without anything installed.
  10. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Mine has done a similar thing twice. The battery will get so low it won't power on and all you can do it try to charge it powered off. It can get stuck in a powering on state and won't charge so you have to pull the battery and replace it then plug it in to charge for a while.
  11. mdbrandy

mdbrandy New Member

Excellent description. That has happened to mine 3 times now, so I try to make sure I plug it in every night. It generally happens when I forget, leave it on the counter overnight, and in the morning it is dead. I've learned that if I find it powered off in the morning, to not even try to turn it on first - it will lock up during boot. Just plug it into the wall charger for a while, and so far, it always starts up fine after it has a little juice.
  12. coop5571

coop5571 New Member

This is a pretty common occurence, it's happened to me several times on the old Q and has probably happened 2-3 times to me with the Q9M. First time it happened I too thought the phone had died, I put a new battery in and it worked fine. I almost took it to the verizon store for a replacement, Luckily I tried the new battery. I read several reports about this here in the forum. The last thing i would ever do would be to get a refurb. Anyway hopefully others will read this post and figure out that most likely they just need to charge the phone.