Q9h Wifi Real(Released in 4th Quarter of '08)

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by blade242, Apr 12, 2008.

1. acedj123

acedj123 New Member

Mexiken,

Send the schematics to me. I'll let you know what I find.

n1fte@hotmail.com
  2. Mrrlyn

Mrrlyn New Member

So far, looking at the diagrams, i see a NOR switch leading into on the WCDMA NA circut that handles a BT_CLK_EN and a WLAN_CLK_EN. The WLAN is grouded out on a 10k resistor, and the BT side is pared off to the GSM side as well. I havent had a good chance to look through the whole thing (there is a lot), and I think i need to print them out to really get a good look at them and line them all up, but thats my first assessment. Now, both Bluetooth and Wifi (802.11b), operate on the same frequency band. They keep out of eachothers hair by virtue of the fact that Bluetooth does a signal hoping method, where WLAN doesn't. It would make sense that they would use the same antenna, but I dont know if there is a chip out there (by whomever makes BT/WLAN chips for phones. Anybody?) but perhaps they are integrated in the one chip. I'll post up more as I get a good look at them.

P.S.
    To Mexiken: See page 5 section D6 for what I'm talking about.
  3. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Marvell makes the chip for WLAN/BT_WLAN. Read this article:

http://www.marvell.com/products/wireless/WLAN_Bluetooth_Single-Chip_Qualified/release/750/

This could be the very chip that is inside our Q9h's, and if so, we do have WLAN capability. Just because some Moto engineers say there is no WLAN capability doesn't make it so, its a bit hard to dispute official schematics....
  4. Mrrlyn

Mrrlyn New Member

Looks promising, based on the dates. (i.e. none of the dates excludes the possibility of this ic being in there). Looked back at the pics from the FCC, and the resolution is just too low to make out the make/model number of the various chips. So...

Again, the call goes out to anybody who has a Q that got dunked or something, that wasnt covered by warranty, that is willing to crack theirs open (if you havent chucked it yet) and take a look at the circutry. Look for that model number 88W8668 from Marvell. *crosses fingers* anybody out there willing to do that? Only if your phone is already hosed and not being replaced...dont want to sacrifice a good one.

Here's all the good links to date:

Possible WIFI/BT chip in the Q

http://www.marvell.com/products/wireless/WLAN_Bluetooth_Single-Chip_Qualified/release/750/

FCC Filing for the Q

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...me=N&application_id=683814&fcc_id='IHDT56HW1'

What does everybody else make of all this?
  5. Mrrlyn

Mrrlyn New Member

Answered the 2.1ghz band spike in the FCC testing...looks like the tx/rx chip has 2.1ghz capability (for furure overseas use, it looks like), but the radio was not included, so we dont get to run on the 2100 band.

Just in case anybody was wondering...
  6. p0lye

p0lye New Member

Wlan???

Marvell is referenced on the header section of the 1st page (I was actually wondering what that was...) so that is likely "confirmed."

Also listed on the first page is reference to a "DEA252450BT" Multilayer Bandpass Filter made by TDK specifically for BT and WLAN applications.

Further support for this is the fact that the BT "module" and WLAN "modules" appear to be very heavy on the resource sharing (page 3).
  7. mexiken

mexiken New Member

You dont need to really look any further than page 1 to pretty much confirm its in there. Schematics aren't concepts, they're blueprints that are seldom deviated from in the field. If they would have scrapped the chip in the end, there would be some evidence of it in the schematics. There have been changes made after the original drawings, yet the chip remains, and all references to it are still there too.

Im going to be the first to say yes, the Q9h is WiFi capable, and Im 100% convinced it is. Whether or not its unlocked in 6.1 or if it will ever be unlocked by a consumer or even a smart hacker remains to be seen....
  8. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Maybe I'm a hopeless skeptic... but the only way I will believe or accept that the q9h has wi-fi is when my phone - because of the 6.1 update or otherwise - connects to a wi-fi network.
    Until then, this stuff is all speculation to me. I say this with all due respect to those who took the time and effort to analyze the blueprints and data specs.
  9. Mrrlyn

Mrrlyn New Member

The thing that has me tripping over Marvell is that on page three, it references TI as the WLAN and Broadcom as the Bluetooth (in the actual IC box for them on the page)...Odd...but I definatly agree with the Marvell WLAN, but find it odd that it is on a page dedicated to a TDK Bandpass filter...

Its a shame that those pics are not higher resolution in the FCC filing...bummer...
  10. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I realize you and everyone else's skepticism, but unfortunately, theres no guarantee that it ever will actually work, 6.1 or otherwise.

But, the phone is indeed capable. There is no doubt anymore in my mind. Its like another poster said (can't remember who now, sorry), they make HAM radios that with a simple modification, could operate outside of the FCC range. They just weren't built to originally. Same thing here. Problem is, that kind of simple modification isn't so simple when a phone is involved, so it may not be done by anybody I know (certainly not me, not even with the schematics)

But the fact remains, or to me it does, the phone has WiFi capability in it.
  11. Mrrlyn

Mrrlyn New Member

So, I guess we consider this closed until WM6.1 is launched...until then...

........To Be Continued!......
  12. phyxius67

phyxius67 New Member

Hey everyone, I thought this might help.

When the Q was 1st giving to the cell phone engineers at motorola it had wifi. I have personal seen it.
    Still to this date wifi has been scraped (may change but unlikely)
    Mobile 6.1 will not add wifi.
    New Q phone should be out with in 8 months but one never really knows. Don't know if it will have wifi, If I find out I will post.

This is very reliable info.
    That’s all I know.
  13. mexiken

mexiken New Member

How can you give a phone to the people who created it ????

Did you mean to say that the original pre-production models had WiFi, but the mass produced ones didnt ????
  14. phyxius67

phyxius67 New Member

I really don't know if it was pre-production. I will let you know if I find out.
  15. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Cool, please do let us know.
  16. Mrrlyn

Mrrlyn New Member

It would make sense that the engineers got wifi enabled phones, as that would explain the origin of the misterious WIFI Q that was bought over ebay, assuming that its not a hoax (did we make a final decision on whether it was or not?).
  17. acedj123

acedj123 New Member

Mexiken,

Now that you have 6.1, getting a Sprite backup from the guy with Wi-Fi should enable Wi-Fi (if it exists) on the Q9h
  18. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yeah, except, he disappeared....
  19. Mrrlyn

Mrrlyn New Member

Wait, im confused. Mexiken, do you have WM6.1 on your phone, or do we have WM6.1 because the guy with WIFI had 6.1...

Oh, and as a side note, has anybody looked at the new Verizon Q that is coming out? Saw a rumor about WIFI (on here - but cited from BoyGenius). I'm trying to find the FCC filling for it, if its public yet. I'd love to compare everything from that one to previous Q's that are out.
  20. mexiken

mexiken New Member

6.1 is the file that is hosted on MMUK. Its whats on my phone, its the official release coming via the Moto website.

Its like you went to the premiere of a movie, and got to take home a copy before it was released. Its the same copy, you just got it before it was actually released. You got it first. Well I did, then tested it, and made sure. I didn't even know it was 6.1 until I installed it. And then I uploaded it, and tada. We dont' have to wait for Moto or AT&T anymore.