Q9h Wifi Real(Released in 4th Quarter of '08)

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by blade242, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Mrrlyn

Mrrlyn New Member

been trying to get a hold of him to get the details, but no response. i was able to get a name and general area of the state he's in, but i dont want to go to far and 'everything q' stalk him...
    meanwhile, im doing my best to see if there's anyway to get wifi running based on the schematics i have but its going to take some serious jerryrigging if its going to work at all. *crosses fingers its there, hooked uo, and good to go with some carresing*

- posted from my q.
  2. iamthekiller

iamthekiller New Member

for the people that want wifi, are you not on a 3g network? i just don't understand the need/want for wifi if you have a half meg connection without being tied down to a wifi access point
  3. Technician

Technician New Member

Well as an example.

I went to US for a vacation and since my carrier has no data roaming in foreign countries, I had to disable all data. It costs me $50 per meg for data in the US.

If WiFi worked and I could find a Hotspot I would of been able to get data on my vacation.

What about people too cheap to pay for data at home, WiFi is free.

I still say the Q9h/Q9 Global has no WiFi, some people run WM 6.1 it is not a firmware issue.
  4. Xebec

Xebec Member

FACT - There is no proof that those schematics are what is currently being used to produce the AT&T Q9h.

FACT - There is documentation on the FCC website from Motorola where they state the Q9h's from AT&T have NO WLAN.

FACT - Many believe Motorola lied to the FCC and is just keeping wifi disabled to tick people off.

FACT - This website http://www.horizonwirelessonline.com/cat/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=204 states that it is NOT possible to enable wifi, that it only existing on early Rogers Q9h handsets.

FACT - Many people believe that Horizon Wireless is lying too.
  5. Technician

Technician New Member

Some people can say things like...

I know for a fact that its not on the phone

because they may work at Motorola or repair the Q9h and know for a fact that WiFi does not exist in the Q9h.
  6. Xebec

Xebec Member

Hey, I agree with you. However, there are individuals on this site that will argue to the death that it does have wifi in it. Claiming to work at Motorola won't help. Heck, Motorola could issue a press statement saying there is no wifi in the AT&T Q9h and those individuals still wouldn't believe it because they saw an early schematic that "indiciated" the presence of WIFI. Early Rogers Q9h's with WIFI adds to their conspiracy theory.

My opinion is (nothing factual to base this on) that the first batch run of the Q9h's did have wifi and they mostly went out to Rogers. It is also my opinion that AT&T told Motorola that they weren't going to enable WIFI on the Q9h (thus forcing people to purchase the $30 month data plan) and so Moto said heck with it and came up with a revision that doesn't have wifi. Moto is in serious financial trouble as it is and the removal of wifi from the design saves them a few dollars per phone. I also read somewhere that initially Samsung was going to include wifi on the Blackjack I or II, but AT&T said no to that as well.

It would cost $50 to find out for sure. Someone on AT&T with an insured Q9h could take apart their Q9h and take photos of all the circuitry. If they couldn't get the phone back together and functioning, they could use their insurance and get a new one for $50. I am not willing to do that to my phone because the statement from Moto to FCC saying there is no WLAN and the statement from Horizon Wireless are enough proof for me.
  7. MotRyan01

MotRyan01 New Member

I know for a fact it doesn't have WiFi...

:2cool:
  8. No Remorse

No Remorse New Member

We'll settle it then. I've already taken mine apart three times for cleaning.(I'm hell on phones). I'll tear her down tonight or tommorrow and upload pics. you guys know what to look for right?
  9. No Remorse

No Remorse New Member

been awful quiet. afraid of a definative answer?
  10. cyberillusion

cyberillusion New Member

Just make sure we can see the writing on the chips :)
  11. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Please send me a copy of any pics you take, please....

mexiken@motomoddinguk.info
  12. mexiken

mexiken New Member

FACT: Did you produce the schematics for the few people who have seen them ???? No. Who did ???? I did. And only I know where they actually came from, and who requested them, and who passed them along to me.

I KNOW, because its the first thing I asked, and because I understand the structure of how confidential files are distributed by Moto, that the schematics in questions are the most up to date.

Enough said. If you still want to believe something else, thats fine.

But then, you'll be calling me a liar....
  13. keitai

keitai New Member

I suggest locking this misleading thread... :thumbdown
  14. Xebec

Xebec Member

Just as you're calling Motorola a liar.

Edit: And you're also calling Horizon Wireless liars as well.
  15. George Knighton

George Knighton New Member

Bickering and not generally useful, so I'd tend to agree.
  16. Xebec

Xebec Member

Photos of the insides of the AT&T q9h:
    https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=815604&native_or_pdf=pdf

They are a little blurry and they are from Motorola. I also emailed the guy from Motorola who responded "there is no wlan" to the FCC when they inquired about the presence of wifi on the schematics. If he responds, I'll post that as well.

/scarcasm
    Of course since the photos are from Motorola, expect them to be doctored; and since the guy I emailed was the one who produced the documents for the FCC, I fully expect him to lie if he reponds.
    /sarcasm off
  17. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Well, based on what I've seen, I wouldn't call Motorola liars, they just knew from the beginning that there was no way the average consumer was going to be able to get WiFi out of the box. And for the most part, its very true.

To get WiFi on it, you'd have to jump through hoops. Thus, it doesn't exist yet. And, they can safely say, "there is no WLAN" because its not an accessible feature of the phone.

Does it mean it CAN'T do it ???? No, that just means in the state its sold, its not able to do it. Hell, I can get the little microchip in my microwave to do math calculations for me, I can even get it to be alarm clock. Does that mean that GE should tell the FCC about it ???? No. But it CAN be done. Problem is, you have to do some MAJOR tweaking, and use the device in the way it was NOT intended to.

Same thing with the Q9h. The device wasn't intended to be WiFi compatible, but unless they pulled the chips out at the last minute, and didn't update the schematics, the latter of which I doubt, its capable. Problem is, its a mountain of a challenge to get on. Most likely, only Moto in the end can make it happen, via a few different methods.

I guess we wont really know until someone takes it apart and takes pictures of the chips. I will after Nov. 1st, when my 1 year warranty is up.

And about Horizon Wireless, yea I would call them liars. Long before you joined this forum, or probably even had this phone (no offense at all), they kept claiming that the Q9h could do WiFi, and if you mailed in your Q9h, they could rig it to. Then they retracted and said only a handful of Rogers phones did. So yeah, in my opinion, they were lying. They were running a scam in my opinion. But thats just me.

We can disagree, and thats ok. I've formed my conclusion based upon what I know, and so have you. Like I said, in the end, its going to take someone taking apart their Q9h and taking pics of the device and its chips to see.
  18. Xebec

Xebec Member

Here is the response directly from Andrew Bachler, the person from Motorola who prepared the response to the FCC. I'm sure certain forum indivuduals will say he is lying, or I'm making the response up. In any case here is my original email to him and his reply. I also sent him the link to this thread as he requested:

Mike,

The response on the FCC web site is accurate. WLAN requires an additional Part 15 certification, which is not part of the application for FCC ID: IHDT56HW1.

Please provide the link to the on-line discussion. Is additional clarification needed?

Regards,
    Andrew

Andrew Bachler
    FCC & IC Liaison
    Motorola Mobile Devices

Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 8:43 AM
    To: Bachler Andrew-WLAB00
    Subject: Question about Moto q9h and wifi
    Mr. Bachler,

I’m hoping you can settle a heated dispute over at everything.com concerning the AT&T Q Global (Q9h), FCCID # IHDT56HW1. The claim is that wifi (wlan) exists in the phone but is disabled in the firmware either by AT&T or Motorola. They say proof of this is found in the schematics which they say indicate the presence of WLAN. I pointed them to the FCC site where I found response from Motorola to the FCC concerning WLAN:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=815636&native_or_pdf=pdf
  19. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Well hopefully he joins the discussions, so that I may throw a few questions his way. Thanks, and nice work.
  20. blade242

blade242 New Member

Can't believe my thread is still going on this never-ending tundra about the 6.1 unlocking the WiFi function. In other news i cracked my screen :( Does an1 know how much an LCD would run for now-a-days + New FacePlate?