Q9h Wifi Real(Released in 4th Quarter of '08)

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by blade242, Apr 12, 2008.

1. jaycsin

jaycsin New Member

Windows mobile is WIFI capable

Just because you see setting in the OS for WIFI doesn’t mean the smartphone is capable. I’m not saying that the “phone hardware” is/is not present, I wouldn’t know, but the capability is present in Windows Mobile because it is a generic OS that is used on many devices, some having WIFI hardware in the phone. That being said…..I hope the WIFI hopefuls are right :laugh2:
  2. PhilR2001

PhilR2001 New Member

now i have a question why on the windows mobile website it says that the 6.1 update is her and all about it and how great it is but why can u not get it WTF man
  3. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

the carriers (AT&T and Sprint) will release it when they are ready...
  4. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Thats why it says, "Contact your carrier"
  5. Xebec

Xebec Member

Uh, the Q9h from AT&T in the US does NOT have wifi, even with the Windows Mobile 6.1 upgrade. This has been stated several times by Moto engineers. The Windows Mobile 6.1 OPERATING system has additional controls and settings for WIFI, but they only work on phones with WIFI in them and the Q9h from AT&T does NOT have it. Why can't people understand this?
  6. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Because people would rather ignore hard facts and hold on to rumors, hopes and fantasy because it's a better alternative to harsh realities.
  7. nmm222

nmm222 New Member

So i just received a Motorola Q9h from ebay today. I am using it on the ATT network (not unlocked) I was surprised tonight when I turned on the phone and saw WM6.1 installed. I thought cool someone got a copy before it was out and put it on the phone. I saw in the wireless manager it had a thing turn wifi off. I figured it was just a leftover from the wm6.1 not being the correct rom. Later on i was playing with it and the phone said it had wireless networks available. I was able to connect my phone with my home wireless. I turned off the phone, bluetooth, and removed the sds card and was able to surf and get email from the wifi. Just to add. Google maps confirmed I had gps as well.

Pics at http://picasaweb.google.com/nmm222/MotoQh9WIFI

NMM
  8. acedj123

acedj123 New Member

Ok..I'm interested...is that an AT&T branded Q9h or what? From what seller on ebay did u get this phone?
  9. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Ditto... I'm jumping on this bandwagon...
  10. George Knighton

George Knighton New Member

Curious about that myself. Regardless, it's clear things are moving in the right direction. :)
  11. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Wait a minute... This is a hoax! Look at the date under the pic: Dec. 25 2007... you said you just got it today.

Attached Files:

12. nmm222

nmm222 New Member

It is a ATT branded Q9H. or at least I believe so. It has the ATT intro at startup, thee att internet button. I bought from ebay user poke_hawn. It didnt mention 6.1 or wifi, just a happy surprise.

NMM
  13. nmm222

nmm222 New Member

No that just means the date on my camera is wrong. I will post other pics with the camera set correctly if you want.

quote=ninjaap;212116]Wait a minute... This is a hoax! Look at the date under the pic: Dec. 25 2007... you said you just got it today.[/quote]
  14. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

[/quote]

I... dunnoooo... I'm a skeptic right now...Huh?... it's not hard to manufacture the date after the fact...
  15. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

No such ebay user...

Attached Files:

16. nmm222

nmm222 New Member

17. acedj123

acedj123 New Member

nmm222:

I believe you :) this is not a fake...and congrats on getting a Q9h with wi-fi!

One quick question, the outside ring of the phone...is it silver or black? From the pics you took it looks silver. If it is silver, does the AT&T logo appear on the silver part just under the keyboard?

A couple pics of the entire phone with good lighting would be great.
  18. nmm222

nmm222 New Member

yeah it does have the att logo on the silver part. i wish there was someway to spread the wifi love, but i certainly dont know enough to know how i got it (and others don't) It just came like that If anyone has any ideas Id be willing to try.

NMM
  19. Xebec

Xebec Member

20. acedj123

acedj123 New Member

Ok...here's the deal folks: Motorola would NOT have made 2 different Q9h for AT&T in the same production run...one with wi-fi and one without. It does not make any sense at all. It seems that a few of the very early releases contained WM6.1 (as in the phone BGR got when they first reviewed the phone in nov-dec 2007). AT&T probably figured out fast that they did not want 6.1 with wi-fi out so that it would compete with other phones they wanted to sell (ie...the iPhone) so they made Motorola load all phones that were'nt already distributed with WM6.0 and had them turn wi-fi off.

It seems that there is, in fact, a wi-fi chip in this phone and that when AT&T releases WM6.1 it is possible that they will not disable wi-fi in the software. The best part now is if they do, we have someone on the forum with wi-fi enabled WM6.1 on the Q9h and in theory, all they would need to do is create a Sprite backup of the phone and post it for all to d/l. This would allow the missing registry settings / dll's...etc to be installed on a crippled phone and make it active :)

The other thing that could be done now, there have been a few posts about trying to make a backup of a ROM and then reinstall it on a phone. If anyone has this ability or knows how to do it, we now have a phone that we could do a ROM backup...post it to the masses for d/l and give AT&T the middle finger :)

Also nmm222:

Could you go into Settings->More...->More...->Phone Information and post all of the values listed?