Q9h rebooting...

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by Techpilot64, Dec 7, 2008.

1. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

wow what a story. wonder if they updated your service profile.
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I wonder if they actually came out and did anything??? Or was it just coincidence?
  3. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Thinking the same thing and they dont move that fast.
  4. Techpilot64

Techpilot64 New Member

Aww man! Now why'd you have to go and say that?

I have no idea - all I know is that for the last 2 weekends, yesterday and several times in the middle of the last 2 weeks, my phone wouldn't work in/around my home area, and today it is.

I don't live in an area of high RF or microwave bursts, no big towers with dishes nearby, and I'm not under high-tension powerlines - so I highly doubt it was someone throwing a switch on the weekends.

I guess the way to find out would be for someone else experiencing the same problem - as a few have stated they are - to use my last post as a blueprint - be civil, be nice even, make sure you call at every step to document each change, and be sure of yourself - otherwise they'll run something from the playbook and talk you through resetting blah blah blah.

I must say though - AT&T has some of the nicest and sincere customer service people I've ever dealt with.
  5. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Maybe they haven't outsourced their CC reps yet. In my experience, dealing with CC reps from another country is usually a bad one. It's hard for them to be sympathetic to our needs because they don't quite understand what we are going through. So they just go with what the "book" tells them to do.
  6. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Did you buy the phone from where you live now? Ive none people who moved across a state from where they bought the phone. It them becomes a roaming type thing. Not sure of the real name, but it caused the phone to go crazy until the company did some kind up update.
  7. Techpilot64

Techpilot64 New Member

I bought it online from the AT&T site as an upgrade, and it was shipped to me at my work address. I live 30miles from work, but that's still within the greater Los Angeles area. And it's been working since I got it in Feb '08.
  8. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

usualy the phone gets set up by zip codes.
  9. Techpilot64

Techpilot64 New Member

well, it was shipped to my work, but my billing has been the same for 4years.

My sister's on my account, and she recently moved over 100miles south to San Diego - no problems - but not the Q either.
  10. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Well, ya got it working, hope it stays that way.
  11. sherri

sherri Active Member

And Happy Birthday!
  12. Techpilot64

Techpilot64 New Member

Yeah, well, I spoke too soon.

It just started cycling again about 10min ago and hasn't stopped.

DAMNIT!
  13. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Interesting.
    Switch to sprint.
  14. cindra

cindra Active Member

Happy Birthday! :smile:
  15. jrothstein

jrothstein New Member

Reason for reboots

I'll give you all a definitive answer to this annoying issue. It is not your phone. It is not your battery. It is AT&T's network. We have over 25 Q's at my company. ALL of them started having this reboot problem on the same day. AT&T helpdesk was useless and despite the logic that if all of them started having the problem at the same time, it could not be hardware related, they still insisted on replacing phones. Well low and behold the new phones had the same problem. I escalated this issue to our account rep, and he sent me the below internal AT&T email acknowledging the issue.. You would think with this evidence in hand it would be easy to resolve... Wrong. AT&T support seemed clueless as to how to resolve it, even with the email evidence. Eventually, my account rep was able to find someone at AT&T to push the update to our phones, and they have been fine since. The service bulletin specifies Austin, but it affected us in Dallas as well. Probably other areas as well.

Subject: URGENT: Motorola Q Software Update May Be Needed
    Importance: High

With recent changes in the Austin market, we have had some issues with Motorola Q’s. The issue causes the device to not respond as expected or to reboot. It has been addressed with a new Maintenance Patch. The patch is supposed to be pushed out to all users without any interaction needed from CARE or the stores; however it’s become apparent that some people may not have received the patch yet. Running the updates from the phone will force the new patch to the device and should fix the problems. CARE has been informed of the issue as well and they are also prepared to assist customers.

The following symptoms have been noted in one of our Austin COR stores and the workaround describes the steps they took to resolve the issue for the customer.

Symptoms:
    Phone shuts off, menus scrolling slowly, and battery indicator shows no power after it has been fully charged
  16. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

Interesting information. It doesn't mention specifically what devices with what set up may not have received this pushed update

I've got, thru AT&T a WinMo 6.1 Q9H....Have had it since Sept '08. Maybe 3-4 time at most have had a random reboot. No complaints from me.

.....odd that everyone of your Q's did this on the same day.
  17. jrothstein

jrothstein New Member

It's definitely tower/network related. Every one of our affected users including me would state that it worked fine at home, but as soon as we entered our work building, reboot. Then repeated reboots throughout the day. When we would enter the building, it would switch from 3G to Edge, which would probably indicate maybe different tower. In any case, it doesn't affect everybody, but it is definitely region/tower related.
  18. ad187420

ad187420 New Member

I was traveling out of town the other day and my Q cycled for the first time. Has not done it since and I rarely travel that route.
  19. Quantify

Quantify New Member

my Q was doing this a few weeks ago in one particular part of the NJ Turnpike...and only if I was on a call. Problem apperas to be solved now.
  20. endobrian

endobrian New Member

If this is the case, then at&t techs are fing around with the equipment.

As a test, switch to 850 Edge only, and see if the problem goes away.