Q9h rebooting...

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by Techpilot64, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Techpilot64

Techpilot64 New Member

Q9h rebooting...

I saw the recent thread sating the same problem, but mine is slightly different:

I have not installed any new software within the last month

Over the last few months, I'll get a error for the XpressMail program every couple weeks or so.

Yesterday (Saturday) my phone began rebooting itself, and booting fairly slowly (longer time on the WM6.1 green screen than usual).

Removing the battery doesn't necessarily fix the issue.

Every 6 (I think) reboots, it becomes stable for about 20min, and then starts all over again.

Any thoughts?

-Techpilot
  2. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

well its either the battery or you need to clean up your storage and memory, or you have a bad phone or something is conflicting or where did you get it?
  3. Techpilot64

Techpilot64 New Member

Have had the phone since Feb of this year - purchased from AT&T.com

I DID just change back to the xtra capacity battery (I've been alternating the standard/xtra batteries each month), but it says fully charged

My 4GB micro SD card is fairly empty

I've looked at the phone storage, but can't find anything strange, and it's not nearly full

I updated windows live mobile late last month - no problems till yesterday.
  4. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

I would first run SKTools and clean it up. delete emails and text. Free up some ram. Clear the IE cashe. then see what happens. turn off suggest a word, clear that history and so on.
  5. aliazing

aliazing New Member

If you don't have much stuffs in your phone. Stop thinking and start doing...

Once it works for every 6 reboots (as you said), try to syn it with your PC to save all contacts info. It won't take too long, 1 mins at most.

Do a hard rest by press and hold E & Z before you hit the power up botton. Keep holding these two keys until the screen shows something you are not familiar with. Be patient, it takes time... And once you see the ugly AT&T default desktop picture, you need to be patient again, it won't have any response during the 1st at least 30mins after hard rest. What she is doing is to install those AT&T rubbish at the basement. So let her finish the job...

If the above effort still cannot make your Q9h work, there could be some hardware issue inside your phone already... It should work unless there is something wrong during the hardrest like the battery drain or drop out etc... that will be pain...
  6. Techpilot64

Techpilot64 New Member

Ok, so I backed up all my info using Dashwire.com

Executed a Hard Reset via the E and Z buttons while powering up.

Re-sync'd to get my info back and it worked fine for the rest of the day.

Then I got home and it started all over again.

So, I called AT&T Warranty, but because I got a refurbished unit to begin with, the warranty was out - so I was transferred to Insurance, who promptly sent me a "new" (refurbished) unit.

Received it on Thursday, sync'd it up.
    Everything worked perfectly.

Until this morning, Sunday, the exact same damn problem of constantly rebooting started again.

Currently trying an experiment proposed by another forum user 'Colblaha' :

1. Remove SIM card and boot - note if the rebooting continues

2. Reinsert SIM card and boot - turn phone radio OFF - note if rebooting continues

3. Turn phone radio ON - note if rebooting continues.

Colblaha's thinking, and mine, is that if the results of this experiment are 1-negative, 2-negative, 3-positive -- then the source of the problem is narrowed to the network and/or sim card.

What does anyone think the chances are of getting my $50 insurance deductible back when it turns out to be something on the network? :-/

-Techpilot
  7. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Is this the same as the other post?
  8. Techpilot64

Techpilot64 New Member

it's the same topic as the other post, but I reworded some of it and posted in this one in order to increase the chances that someone else having the problem might see it.
  9. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

about a ton of people have it, same answer for all of them.
  10. Techpilot64

Techpilot64 New Member

Well if so many people are having the problem, why doesn't AT&T seem to know about it?

You said 'same answer for all of them' - what's the answer? how do we fix this?
  11. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

isnt realy a answer. Only can try using SKTools to clean up some memory and ram. your battery can be going bad, someone hinted about the sim card, if you have one. you already did a reset. I would do one and not install any apps for a while to see if it still happens.
  12. aliazing

aliazing New Member

Does Dashware backup/restore all your application as well? Or only the contact info? (Sorry, I'm not familiar with this sw.)

I did experience a similar problem (rebooting) by using ATT SIM card in my Palm680 before. It's matters the type of SIM card you are given. Of course ATT won't admit this 'officially', but at the end they gave me another SIM card and the problem is gone.

If your phone was unlocked and you have other SIM card available (like T-mobile) you may want to give a try...
  13. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

It only backs up contacts, text, pictures...That is if you tell it to.
    No applications.
  14. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

Videos also i believe. It syncs call history too

yup no apps
  15. Techpilot64

Techpilot64 New Member

Correct - it does NOT sync Apps.

It DOES upload text history to the server, but so far it hasn't sync'd back to my Q.
  16. Techpilot64

Techpilot64 New Member

!!!UPDATE!!!

I called AT&T today and made arrangements to get a new SIM card. After work, I went by a AT&T Corporate store and had the new SIM card put in.

BTW - after this weekend of not being able to make calls due to rebooting constantly, the phone worked perfectly all day at work.

So I got the new SIM card and headed home - I work in Pasadena, CA and live in Long Beach, CA - and I sh*t you not, as soon as I got off the freeway, it started rebooting again!

I believe we can officially call this 'narrowed down' to the network itself, although I have no idea why it would happen to some phones and not others (my neighbor has an HTC model, couple years old, on AT&T and running WM6.1 as well).

I have an email in to the CSR who helped me in the store, as he'd never heard of this problem, he was quite interested in it - especially after I'd told him this is my second phone!

Will update again when I have news.

-TechPilot
  17. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

Your 2nd warranty replacement? On the third replacement get a new Q. But just FYI, their policy is to offer you a new model of your choice when replacing it on the third time. I mean i asked what phone can i get? She says, what would you like? I say, hmmm, how 'bout the Q9h? She says in reply, OK :)

I've went thru this myself, this is how i came to get a Q9h to replace my Shine free! That shine was bad.
  18. Techpilot64

Techpilot64 New Member

Never had a warranty replacement.

Bought the handset in February '08 - got it for $99 refurb'd when I re-upped my contract.

Haven't had any problems until 2 weekends ago.

Figured it was the handset, so I called warranty - refurb'd handsets only have 90day warranty - they transferred me to Insurance.

So this is 1st Insurance replacement.

If it turns out this issue was because of the network all along, what do you think my chances are of getting my $50 deductible back?

-TechPilot
  19. aliazing

aliazing New Member

ATT may help you to solve the problem in certain way, but they will NEVER confess it's their problem especially base related... They may give your $$$ if you are lucky enough but they won't give your root cause...

You may try your luck though.
  20. Techpilot64

Techpilot64 New Member

!!!-UPDATE 2-!!!

Yesterday, Saturday at around 9am, I heard my phone's speaker click, and turned to see it rebooting... *SIGH* Weekend #3....

Having only a cellphone, I was incommunicado for most of the day, that is until I got about 5miles from home, and suddenly it was working like nothing had ever happened.

So I called AT&T *AGAIN* and sped through the menu options to get to a real person.

Had to sit on hold for 8min, but when I finally got someone, it went like this:

Optr: Thank you for calling AT&T, how may I help you?

ME: This is -Name,Account info- I know it's saturday and you'd rather not be at work, and I'd rather not be making this call.

Optr: Well it's our job, what seems to be the problem?

ME: Here's the story - I've had my Moto Q9h since Feb '08 and 3 weekends ago, I woke up on saturday to find it in a constant power-cycle, not being able to make or receive calls through sunday night.

Monday, I get to work and everything works fine, but I backed up my data and executed a Hard-reset by holding the "E" and "Z" buttons as I powered up the unit - thus reverting the phone to a "First ON" state. The phone worked fine all day, and I thought the situation was done.

Monday night, it started again.

Tuesday, at my office the phone worked fine, but having only a cellphone, I can't be without service just because I'm at home - I called Warranty Exchange, who informed me my unit was out of warranty, and transferred me to Insurance Claims.

I received the insurance replacement refurbished handset on thursday - it worked fine all day thursday through friday... and saturday morning it started again.

I ran a test by removing the SIM card and powering on, and no problems occured - reinsert the SIM card and it reboots constantly.

This last monday the unit worked fine, but I called and arranged to get a new SIM card - picked up the SIM card that evening worked fine in the store and I drove the 30miles home - but as I turned off the freeway about 3miles from home, it started rebooting AGAIN!!!

So, 2 different handsets, 2 SIM cards, 4 batteries and the problem only occurs in a certain geographic area - you will find notes in my account that document all this - I have narrowed the problem down to an issue with the network in the area of my residence. What can we do about this?

Optr: That's some story, sorry that you've experienced such inconvenience, may I put you on hold while I review these notes?

ME: sure *on hold for 5min*

Optr: Well sir, I see on you're account you're elegible for an upgrade - what kind of phone would you like?

ME: Right, well actually, I'm quite happy with my Moto Q9h, I'd just like it to work in the same places it has for the last almost year, what can we do about that?

Optr: Well we can open a network trouble ticket, and a team will be tasked with reviewing the network infrastructure around your stated problem area over the next 24hrs.

ME: That's fine, what happens after 24hrs?

Optr: If the problem persists or worsens, call back, if the problem stops, there is no need to call back.

ME: Sounds good to me, thank you for your time.

Optr: Thank you for using AT&T, have a nice evening.

SO after ALLLL that! - This morning... wait for it....

I woke up to a phone call from a friend in London wishing me happy birthday, and it's been working fine so far!!