Q9h Memory?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by adamb78, Aug 29, 2007.

1. adamb78

adamb78 New Member

Q9h Memory?

I asked the question on another thread but thought it might deserve its own so people that have the same query can find it.

How much memory does your Q9h show it has when you go into memory manager?

Mine shows 151 MB "Device Storage" which to me sounds like ROM, and it has 63.57 megs for "RAM Storage". But the specs I've seen for the Q9h here and elsewhere says it has 256 megs of ROM and 96 megs of RAM. That doesn't seem to mesh with what I see in Memory Manager.
  2. troutseth

troutseth Guest

You have got this posted in a few places . . generally one will do. :) To answer your question, what you see is indeed total ROM and RAM BUT it is the total available to the user. The 9h is 256 and 96 but not all of that is open to you. The original Q only has 52 and 51 available.
  3. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Memory Information

Look in the About settings applet (assuming the Q9h is similar to the original Q). Are you reporting the "Total" numbers or the "Available" numbers?

You should use the "Total" numbers; the "Available Storage" number includes any programs you've installed and any data files; the "Available Memory" number includes any running programs.

Steve
  4. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

ROM/RAM Discrepancies

True, but those numbers seem like a big discrepancy. 105 MB used by the OS seems way too high.

Similarly, using over 32 MB RAM for the OS processes seems a bit much. The original Q had 64 MB RAM and only needed 13 MB or so.

Of course, if Adam was reporting the "Available" numbers, that could explain a lot of the discrepancy.

Steve
  5. adamb78

adamb78 New Member

Hey guys,

I am definitely reporting the "total" numbers. Nowhere on that screen does it show a number as high as 256 near storage or 96 near RAM.

Here is a screenshot:
    [​IMG]

I booted up my old Q, and it gave Total numbers of 52 for Device Storage and 51 for RAM. Here is that screenshot:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

Are both of those screen shots based on a hard reset Q with nothing loaded. If so then yes Steve is making a good point. Something is not right.
  7. adamb78

adamb78 New Member

Well there were a few programs loaded. But that wouldn't affect the Total memory would it? Only the available memory. My concern is that the Total memory appears far less than 96 megs.
  8. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

Thats a good question for Moto Support, but since its not in the US yet, you may have issues getting support. They did not show the Q9m on the US support page as of last week either, go figure.
  9. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Use the About Settings Applet

Thanks for the screen shots, but Memory Manager is something Motorola added. Please look in the About settings applet and tell us what that says (or post a screen capture of that). That's Microsoft code and should be correct (I hope).

Steve
  10. adamb78

adamb78 New Member

The Settings, About says the same thing. Here is that screenshot:

Attached Files:

11. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I can confirm these numbers on the Moto Q 9h. Seeing virtually the same numbers.

-Chris
  12. troutseth

troutseth Guest

I suupose the next questions is what is eating 105MB? I agree with Steve, I cannot believe the OS is taking that much space.
  13. adamb78

adamb78 New Member

What do you mean by 105MB? My concern is that regardless of how much the OS takes up, the "Total" numbers (which I assume read the total available space on the RAM/Flash/whatever chips) are far less than what is spec'd out on Motorola's site.
  14. troutseth

troutseth Guest

The "total'number is still what is available to the user out of the box. So what you are seeing if the specs are correct is that something native to the phone is taking 105. You would never see 256 total. It is the way that smartphones work . . memory based as opposed to file based. The OS and system items are saved in the memory and never available to the user.

That's why if you look at the original Q which is 64/64 you only see 52/51 total. that is all i can access. Another place to see this in practice is if you put in a 2 GB SD card; you will see the total show at about 1.9GB due to space taken by system files used in formatting.

So the question remains . . if their specs are right where did the 105 go especially since the orignal Q is taken only about 14 up by the system.
  15. adamb78

adamb78 New Member

Well I don't care so much about storage as RAM. Storage is easy to add to with SD cards, but RAM is impossible to increase. The problem I have is that the Q9h appears to have only 10 more megs Total ram than the original Q, even though it is supposed to have 32 more megs of RAM (Original Q: 64mb RAM, Q9h: 96 megs of RAM).
  16. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Storage Space vs. RAM

If you only care about RAM, you probably shouldn't have brought storage space into the discussion at all.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about storage. Yes, you can add a memory card to your Q, but even that has a fixed maximum (maybe 4-8 GB for MicroSD). Also, not all programs run well off of SD cards. Plus, you can usually close programs running in the background to free RAM up; that's not the inconvenience that deleting programs or files is.

My original Q is almost out of device storage (I install all of my programs on the device), but I rarely (if ever) run low on RAM.

Steve
  17. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

i realize what the original post is about, when the Treo 700w Palm was trying to be cutesy by not stating in any materials the amount of Program RAM. When it was determined to have 32MB it became a question how do we get from 32MB down to showing something like 25MB and user accessible was 13-14MB. We could not figure why it wasn't showing 32. The answer came about that Palm did not show the full RAM chip since they had a 7MB buffer in there and that the other RAM was used for the OS.

Now this may be normal practice but this also is what creates the opportunity for would be class action attention getter attorneys. Its no longer tolerable to state the memory chip installed you actually have to state what the user accessible portion is and explain somewhere why its so different.

Another similar example is hard drives, and they way mfg's calculate storage. I think users are now capable and (for the most part) smart enough to understand the odd amount shown. My 1.5TB (Dual disk) can be set for RAID 0 or RAID 1, but if I choose RAID 1 I get 1 mirrored drive showing only 698.49GB, so where did the missing 51.51GB go?

In the end Moto can and should be able to explain this but the Moto Q9m is still not listed and the Q9 Global isn't either.
  18. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Memory Sizes

Actually, I have seen many vendors state both the total size and the user-accessible size. I think that's reasonable and they shouldn't have to explain what the difference is used for. (I'd like to know, too, but as long as they tell me how much I can use, I don't think it matters much.)

Steve
  19. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

Steve I disagree with you completely on this. Mfg's should be stating clearly where the memory is and what it is used for IF they are going to market the device as having a certain memory configuration. My opinion and to me certainly a valid on since I purchase a lot of equipment and I expect the stated amount of anything to be real, and not perceived.
  20. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Why Does It Matter?

Read what I said again -- there's nothing about perception and I said the available amount was listed.

If an OEM says "256 MB total ROM, 150 MB user-accessible", they're telling you how much you can use. Why do you need to know what the other 106 MB is used for?

Knowing might help in tweaking the system (if there's a registry setting that controls how the extra ROM is used) or in cooking a new ROM (but that's probably illegal anyway), but the average user has no possible reason to know what the memory is used for.

Would you be happier if the OEM just said "150 MB user-accessible ROM" and never even mentioned the full spec?

If the OEM just said "256 MB total ROM" and never specified that 106 MB was used by the system, then I'd agree there was something actionable, but that's not the case I stated. (I don't know how the Q9h is advertised.)

Steve