Q9h GPS not "true" GPS !!!!

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by mexiken, Jan 19, 2008.

1. asodestrom

asodestrom New Member

I'm in Northern California, Western Sonoma County to be precise. I have noticed that you have much better coverage in your area. I have been out near the coast with my live search on and when coverage drops the screen goes green, but the gps arrow stays active until I get back in coverage and the map and/or sattelite view re-appears.
  2. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yeah ever since the merger, AT&T has invested A LOT of capitol into the LA market to integrate the network fully for both "blue" and "orange" customers.

Now, in late 2007 and early 2008, its finally starting to pay off, signal wise. Go figure....

I'd call if you happen to experience a dropped call frequently in an area, or a dead spot (no signal at all). I can tell you with all honesty and certainty that if you talk to the right channels, AT&T both welcomes your information and actually looks into it. Just be prepared to give them plenty of info. Sometimes they ask what side of the street, if theres any tree coverage or tall buildings, they ask what number you were trying to call, or the number of the person you were calling when the call dropped. None of it is to invade your privacy I can assure you, its merely to minimize any variables and help assess whats going on.
  3. errdaa

errdaa New Member

Ok I was with 100% until the part about pulling your SIM etc....

I travel to BFE in GA about once a week. I have zero cell service once I get about 6 miles from the interstate. When I loose cell coverage I loose GPS as well. From that I assumed that I had to be in range of a tower for telenav to work correctly. So I have the cell radio powered up (SIM card installed) but no GPS function. What am I doing wrong?
  4. asodestrom

asodestrom New Member

Are you losing GPS or just the ability to download maps. In Windows live, the screen goes green, but the gps arrow is still active. Have you tried those areas with gps test?
  5. mexiken

mexiken New Member

It sounds like you are confusing GPS with GPS mapping.

GPS is a standalone deal. Its a coordinate sytem that relays positions based on satellites.

The GPS mapping programs integrate the GPS position to give you an accurate, real world location of where you are, displayed on a map.

The GPS can function if the mapping doesn't work, and vice versa. However if you have no cell phone signal, the maps wont update to follow you. If you have no GPS signal, you don't actually know where you are in real time, unless of course you follow the streets and map yourself.

The only benefit I see to GPS working with no phone signal is programs like WLS and Google cache, or store, your map data. So sometimes, you can cross through places you've already been, and the program will still have that map in memory. That way, you actually can use it. But thats pretty obscure, so I wouldn't rely on it.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to tough it out, or call and ask if they have plans to put a tower or two in that area. Then at least, you may get some signal.
  6. errdaa

errdaa New Member

I have not tried Windows Live or gps test but I think I may only be losing my ability to download map info. I will check it the next time I am in that area. If that is the case, one has to question the usefulness of the gps without cell coverage. :embarassed:
  7. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yeah, I feel you. Google isn't as good about caching map data as Windows Live is. Maybe you should try that. Actually, I don't know what good it will do you, as since you never get signal there, you'll never get a map to store. Well actually, if you scroll through there, you will map it.
  8. errdaa

errdaa New Member

Yeah, when it first happened I just assumed it was because the GPS info was from the cell tower but I guess not. I just figured I would have to get a real GPS for that type of use anyway. I am not slamming the phone, I really do like it!
  9. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Woah, just got deja vu.
    *Runs out of thread*
  10. mexiken

mexiken New Member

ROFL....

That was good.
  11. Doofer

Doofer New Member

GPS receiver

:gasp: Here we go again, I'm in Australia with a Q9h (with telstra) it does not have an internal gps chip, so I got a bluetooth gps receiver,whooh, it worked well for 3 weeks, untill today, now my phone will not pair with it, or my b/tooth headset. and the Q will not allow me to remove them in settings so I can pair again, any help will be appreciated:angry:
  12. asodestrom

asodestrom New Member

You can get co-pilot live which doesn't rely on downloaded maps, but then it's not free like google or window live.
  13. nunzio

nunzio New Member

Other have Worked without a SIM card

I hate that this keeps coming back. I AM A MOTO EXPERT and can confirm that there is a real GPS chip inside. Others have been able to use GPS without a SIM card. That is because there is real GPS. The startup times are unacceptable in this mode because the unit uses the in ternet for much of it's startup information and will be slow without it. This is what AGPS really means.

BTW the technology for Cell tower based Navigation is not really there yet. Look at the Iphone. The best it can do is get you in the neighborhood. I have also used Garmin and CoPilot on this phone. Neither will work with anything other than true GPS. AGPS functions as GPS after satellite acquisition. It only uses the internet and not cell towers to speed up start up and make up for lesser antenna designs.
  14. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

You and me both Nunzio...
    There's a lot of confusion about how aGPS works vs. traditional GPS. In the Q9h ( or global) the only data pulled from the internet is map data. Whereas on the Q9c or m (aGPS chipsets), they pull map data from the internet and pull information from assistance servers at the cell sites as to which specific satellites to look for.
    Yes, it is true GPS end of story. The issue is that the phone doesn't have enough storage space to store map data for the Entire globe, or country like many standalone GPS units.
  15. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Hey Nunzio, just out of curiosity. What's your user name on the other site? Just so I know who I'm talking to...
  16. nunzio

nunzio New Member

Same name

I use the same name
  17. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

For those who weren't involved...
    the reason I got deja vu was that this same discussion (mentioned by mexiken and then by dwboston) happened early in December on qenusasupportforums.motorola.com/pe (another Q forum that is run by Motorola) Friendly discussion kinda turned into an argument, but in the end we all learned something from it. To anyone interested in learning more about speciffically how GPS, aGPS, and LBS work, do a google search or go to www.howstuffworks.com, it's worth it.
  18. DrQ

DrQ New Member

yeah I think the great debate overflowed to Qusers if I remember correctly.
  19. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

If the exact specs (as far as internal components) were more easily available, the "great debate" would have never needed to happen. It's a shame really...
  20. HeathN

HeathN New Member

good topic here