Q9h battery life

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by Caz, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Caz

Caz New Member

Q9h battery life

Hi,

I just got a Q9h from Rogers (in Canada) and the battery life on it is REALLY bad and I was wondering if this was normal. My HTC S620 would last a FULL 1.5 days with normal usage without shutting down. I don't mind charging my phone every night, but I cannot live without a full day's use before charging.

My usage pattern has not changed since my HTC...I use it mostly to synch email/Calendar with Good.

It uses the standard (slim) battery.

Info:

-Full Charge (about 12 hrs) when I unboxed it.
    -Full Chage last night (8hrs, 2nd day)
    -Unplugged from Wall Charger at around 8:30am and the phone shut itself done at around 16:30 THIS IS NOT EVEN A FULL BUSINESS DAY, let alone a full day

-I did not use a lot of "Talk Time" Today...for sure only a few minutes (10-30)
    -The only application that runs on this thing currently is Good Messaging (to synch with our exchange server) through HSPDA
    -Bluetooth is disabled
    -All of the timout features are set to conserve battery life

Is this normal? If it is, I will consider getting an extended battery or another phone (HTC, etc). If it is NOT normal, I will return to Rogers for a replacement...

Any help would be appreciated...

Erik
  2. Duke4062

Duke4062 New Member

I would give it a few full charge, full discharge cycles before you make any final judgements. If things don't improve, exchange it out for another unit. My battery life has been awesome!!
  3. johnnywishbone

johnnywishbone New Member

Hi Caz,

I was having the same problem with my unit. Got it about 10 days ago and after a couple days of decent battery life, it went downhill under pretty much under the same circumstances as yours....i don't have Good Messaging running (i don't even know what that is, lol), but i was txting and emailing a bit.
    I called Rogers on the 6th day and they sent me out a new one. I just got it yesterday and haven't tested it out yet (it's charging now). Since this is my first WM device, I wanna test out some programs on the old device, see what i like and know what i want to load on the new one, before i send it back.
    In the meantime, i'm just lurking around, reading and trying to learn about this new toy :)
  4. Caz

Caz New Member

Thanks for your input.

Good Messaging = Software to Synch with MS Exchange servers for Email (similar to what BlackBerries do).

I am very interested to see if you notice any change in the device...mine still doesn't last 1 day. Calling Rogers today.
  5. Caz

Caz New Member

In case somebody is reading this thread:

I called Rogers yesterday. At first, they claimed that my synching of email was causing this battery drain. I explained to the guy that this phone is designed for this purpose and should at least give me 0.5 day unless I talk a lot.

We went over the offical specs of the phone, he read me the standard "But this is supposed to vary depending on usage). I

The rep finally put me on hold to talk to tech support and was told that this phone should last 3 days with "light" usage at AT LEAST 1 day for heavy use.

I re-iterated that if the Q9h would last 1 full day, I would be happy. He is sending a new unit. I made sure that he added to my file that if the 2nd one performs the same as the first, I am returning it for a full refund.

So I should get my phone tomorrow...will charge it for a FULL 24 hrs and then pass judgement on if this model can fit my usage pattern...it would really suck if it can't. After all, I use Good Messaging (a Motorola product) on a Motorola phone...
  6. sgoldwa

sgoldwa New Member

One other idea...

Make sure the IM client is not automatically starting and running in the background. That will KILL your battery life like there is no tomorrow. It almost caused me to return the phone till I found the problem. Now life is good.
  7. Caz

Caz New Member

Why would this kill the battery life? Is it the Internet polling that sucks it dry? Is the 3G internet very much worse on battery life then previous standards?

I don't use IM (and it is not running according to the task manager), but this would explain my problem...

Good Messaging doesn't poll for new mail, but I get email often enough that it probably get an email push VERY often...

This was not a problem on my pre-3G phones like the HTC Excalibur ("Dash" on T-Mobil), but if 3G speeds take up 50% more power...

I will try and disable the folders where I get the most mail and see

Thanks for the tip

Caz
  8. Caz

Caz New Member

Wow, people will think I am annoying...but here goes another question!

How do I know if the GPS is running...this is also a feature that my HTC did not have. I don't use it (I tried google maps for fun, but don't use it often).

How do I turn the GPS off? My Q9h often says "GPS" next to the battery meter...

Thanks
  9. sgoldwa

sgoldwa New Member

Gps

Does it say GPS or 3G or just G? I have never seen "GPS" come up on my display, but I have seen 3G and just G (which stands for GPRS, not GPS).
  10. Caz

Caz New Member

It says GPS (not just G...) right next to the battery life indicator. It does this once in a while...but regularly enough for me to think that it is frequent.

Also, I don't remeber seeing this on the "home screen", only submenus (start menu, email, other progs).

I am confused as to what this is if it is not the GPS kicking in...

My new Q9h got here today. I will charge it until tomorrow and then see if it acts the same way. I will most likely NOT install google maps or GOOD messaging at first. I will check the battery life of it in this scenario and then see if it drops after install...

I miss my HTC phone...it was not as cute or powerful. But it worked and had Wifi. Unfortunately, it bricked itself and will not power on anymore.
  11. johnnywishbone

mine does the same Caz
    i was just looking at my home screen and it had a big 3G to the left of the battery indicator, and a smaller 3g to the right of it. Then as soon as i hit my task manager or my messages, the big 3G disappeared and gps lit up right where you describe yours showing up.
    now being a complete idiot at this point when relating to this device, i have no clue at all what that means. I don't even have any mapping programs on my Q yet. I had google maps installed, but i deleted it cause i was going to try something else.

i also have my new Q sitting at home. I charged it for a full 24hrs, but haven't got around to using it yet, as i wanna use this one as my 'testing q', so when i inevitably screw it up, i'll know what not to do to the new one :laugh2:
  12. Technician

Technician New Member

I had one day I unplug my Q9h at 4:30am and by 7:00pm it was almost dead.

My phone usage was about 30 minutes.
    Browsed about 30 minutes.
    Received and replied to about 20 emails.
    Played a game for an hour.
    Spend about a hour playing with the home screen.

Nothing I would say is excessive.

I decided I will try to order a extended Battery from Ebay.
    For some unknown reason Rogers does not sell them yet.

I wonder though I have my doubts with some applications written for the Q and WM5. I got rid of Alarm Master because it kept crashing after an alarm and my battery life seems better.
  13. Caz

Caz New Member

Thanks for the info, but you still got over 12 hours of battery life out of your phone. I hardly got 6...

I just set up the new one (was sick yesterday so it charged at work for 48 hrs).

As stated earlier, I will use it as a phone ONLY for the weekend to rule out any bugs in my synching software...If it can last a full 12-16 hours during the weekend, I will install Good Messaging...otherwise I will return BOTH to Rogers and order something else. If Motorola can't design a phone and Software to synch it to last a full day it is not my problem. Maybe my standards are unrealistic, but they have served me well before.

Thanks again for the info, I think it shows that there was a problem with my previous phone.
  14. Duke4062

Duke4062 New Member

The battery life on my Q9h Global has been utterly amazing. Using the standard battery at the end of the day I still have full bars or it has only gone down one bar. The battery life is just ridiculous.:laugh2:
  15. Caz

Caz New Member

Duke,

I am glad to hear that theree is hope :)

Can you tell me a bit about your usage pattern?
    (Email, Talk Time, Multimedia, etc)

Thanks
  16. Duke4062

Duke4062 New Member

Well..I wake up at about 8:30am. I'll usually make about 10 calls around a half hr. total. Browse for around a half hour, send an email or two but yester day I was streaming video from MobiTv for like 45 mins to 1 hr. and still I ended up with only 1 bar gone at the end of the day(meaning around 10pm). I don't know how they made the battery life so efficient. Maybe it is like the original Q where all Q's battery life weren't created equal?
  17. Caz

Caz New Member

Thanks for the info

Do you use bluetooth a lot?

I am starting to believe that my last phone was just bad. I did a full charge until last Friday (2 days charge) and it is still at 2 bars after a full weekend of use. I have NOT tried to use Good Messaging yet...but can a email synch program REALLY drain the battery that fast? I will find out today.

Caz
  18. johnnywishbone

glad your new Q is working better Caz.
    as for me, well i did as you did - charged the new Q for almost 48hrs. Unfortunately i then went out of town for 5 days. So just yesterday i got around to setting up the new one.
    Last night @ around 7pm i turned it on for the first time. Went through the setting up process, loaded on google maps, spent aboot 5 mins playing with that, sent and received 4/5 emails, sent and received 5/6 txts and made about 10 mins worh of phone calls. Had all 3 bars when i turned in for the night @ about 1am, so did not plug in the charger. This morning when i was walking out the door @ 9am, the battery was more than half dead!
    I'm wondering if that 5 days sitting would have an effect?

I guess i'll give it another day or two of trying (let it drain down, then give it a good charge) and see how the battery acts. But if this phone can't sit in standby mode for 12 hrs without losing 1/2 it's battery....well, that's just not acceptable to me

the bigger problem then becomes what other phone to get from Rogers. I've grown accustomed to the full keypad :) might have to go with the BB Curve....or maybe just back to a razr - i loved my V3i, but lots of txting on that ain't very friendly.
  19. bigwh00p

bigwh00p New Member

You mentioned in your post that good messaging was connected through HSDPA. Using 3G all day is going to eat up your battery life (I'm assuming it's connected all the time). To better conserve battery life, I'd suggest switching to using EDGE for syncing over the air. There should be a setting in WM6 to set your internet to use EDGE instead of HSDPA.
  20. Caz

Caz New Member

Thanks for the tip, I was already looking into how to do this (this was the only difference with my old HTC phone. I did not think that 3G sucked that much power, but wanted to eliminate the 3G variable in any case).

Here is the bottom line:

I swiched to EDGE only using the bandselect.exe located in the \Windows directory...(I selected GSM 850/1900) it is SOOO MUCH SLOWER then 3G for browsing and other interactive web stuff but does not affect my emait synch at all...

But:

THIS FIXED MY PROBLEM ON BOTH OF MY Q9H (including the one I had not returned to Rogers yet.

It turns out that none of them were "defective"

I still need to figure out why this was happening. Motorola Good Messaging uses a Push system to only connect to the phone when there is some new message not delivered (so that it is NOT always on 3G). I think it is more likely that the AUTO band mode was switching/searching for 3G all the time and going in and out of 3G, HSDPA and EDGE...I noticed that previous to my setting change the phone would sometimes have "3G", sometimes have and "H" and other times and "E" listed on top.

I think that the Rogers 3G network is still "shaky" and that it *should* get fixed over time.

I am REALLY happy with the battery life of my Q after the switch and recommend this tweak to anybody that cares less about speed than battery life...

I can live with this device now! I hope that eventually I will be able to use 3G all the time (Google Maps flies in 3G)...but this is secondary to my work getting done. Edge is fast enought to synch my email without a lag...

I hope this helpes other people...Rogers did not seem to have a clue and I *KNOW* other people are having this problem as this thread shows.

Thanks for all the suggestions and bearing with me...

Caz