Q9h and AT&T problem

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by Air Junkie, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Air Junkie

Air Junkie New Member

Q9h and AT&T problem

All,

I have recently purchased a Q9h for my CEO at his request. This is an unlocked version from the UK I suppose.

Durring the original turn on it requests the Country and Carrier for the phone. Being that this phone isnt available in the US, US and US Carrieres are not in the drop down menus. I chose UK and Vodaphone for no particular reason.

I then wen to AT&Ts information for setting MEdia Net and MMS functions for the BlackJack. This gave me the ability to browse the iNet with Opera easily enough.

The problem is with Push Mail and Active Sync. I entered the settings (same as my settings on my TyTN, but it keeps telling me the Internet settings are incorrect. I deleted all GPRS, Proxy, MMS information, except for the AT&T(Cingular) entries but still no joy. I do not see a setting to tell the Q9h which connection to use for activesync over the air.

Is there a setting I missed? Is it the inital setup options that desiginate this? If so, is there a change I can make to point it to AT&T GPRS?

Any help and insight is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time,
    Brad
  2. Air Junkie

Air Junkie New Member

All,

After poking about, the choice of UK and Vodaphone started to make the back of my mind itch even though I removed all of its entries.

I preformed a Hard Reset (pwr off, press and hold z and e while pwr on).
    I Chose not to search for a new carrier and dont ask me again.

Entered the settings AT&T Offered for the BlackJack and it works like a champ!

Proxy:

Cingular WAP
    Connects From: The Internet
    Connects To: WAP network
    Proxy: wireless.cingular.com:80
    Type: HTTP
    Username: leave blank
    Password: leave blank
    Press Done to finish.
    -----------------------
    GPRS
    MEdia Net
    Connects to: The Internet
    Access Point: wap.cingular
    User Name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1
    Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    IP address: leave blank
    Press Done to finish setup.
    -----------------------------
    OPERA
    Settings > Connections
    Automatically detect settings: Leave Unchecked
    Select Network: Wap Network
    NOTE: Do not select "Secure WAP Network"
    Select Done to finish.
    ------------------------------
    MMS
    Start-Messaging-MMS-Menu-Options-Account Options-MMS-Menu-MMSC Settings-Menu-New
    Name: Cingular MMS
    MMSC URL: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    WAP Gateway: 66.209.11.61
    Port: 9201
    Connect Via: The Internet
    WAP Version: WAP 2.0
    Hope this helps!

Brad
  3. JimQ9

JimQ9 New Member

I am trying to get a Q9h from Vodaphone working with AT&T. The internet works with Opera and IE. When I try to sync to our Exchange server, the Q says the internet connection is not configured properly (if the "advanced" --> "connection" menu within server setup is set to "internet"). If the same setting is set to "dedicated", it says "the server can not be reached"). Help!
  4. JimQ9

JimQ9 New Member

Forgot to mention that I can get it to sync wired, just not wireless.
  5. Air Junkie

Air Junkie New Member

Is your exchange server capable/setup for Push?

Brad
  6. JimQ9

JimQ9 New Member

Yes, I have 2 Qs running on Verizon & another on Sprint.
  7. Air Junkie

Air Junkie New Member

Im Not sure where to point you next. I would preform a new hard reset and re-enter the information as shown above. Other than that I am kind of at a loss to explain. My Bosses Q9 is working fine on AT&T using the exact information above.

Brad
  8. JimQ9

JimQ9 New Member

Did yours have a "connection" tab in the "advanced" menu under "server setup? If so, was yours set to "dedicated" or "internet"?

The device is seeing the internet, but Activesync isn't for some reason. Did you delete all the "connection" items and add your Cingular ones new?

I can get to our OWA site in IE, and I know it works on the other Qs.

Also, in the MEdia Net under GPRS, did you have an "authentication type" box? If so, what was it set as? I assume it to be OK or my IE wouldn't work.
  9. Air Junkie

Air Junkie New Member

Jim,

This sounds exactly like my problem above. If when you hard reset the phone, does it ask you for the country and service provider? If so do not choose either, do not allow it to search for another provider and check the box for dont ask again.

There should not be any settings in the phone if you do this.

Then set up the phone just like I outlined.

The settings are in the registry I suppose and point to Vodaphone if you select the carrier and country.

Is this phone unlocked?

Other than that I don't have access to the phone to check settings. My CEO is not one I would cross or demand his phone back.

Brad
  10. mudpyr8

mudpyr8 New Member

I'm having the same problem. I just picked up to Q 9hs from AT&T. I can get them configured and syncing when wired, but when wireless it is a no go.

I can hit our OWA site from Opera no problem when wireless.

We have 4 other devices using ActiveSync (Windows Mobile 6 devices) and it works just fine.

I remember on those devices there was a Socks proxy as well - perhaps that's what's missing... I don't see a Socks proxy on this one.
  11. unixtool1192

unixtool1192 New Member

Purchased Moto Q9h from AT&T Last not, will not sync

I purchase a Moto Q9h from AT&T last night. I can not get the ActiveSync application to connect to my phone. The phone's SD card shows up as a mass storage device just fine, and I can copy music to it using it as a mass storage device.

I am running WinXP Pro SP2 with all updated packages. I uninstalled the ActiveSync version 4.5 that came with the phone and installed the latest AS from the MS website. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling, rebooting the PC and the phone. I even disabled the Windows firewall completely. I have noticed that a network connection entry is not created for the phone either, so I know that is part of the problem (probably a sympton and not the cause). Any help would be appreciated. I have checked the checkbox on the phone to allow all PCs to sync to the device, and I ensured the Allow USB connection checkbox was checked in the AS connection settings dialogue box.

Does anyone have any ideas? My machine is a Dell XPS purchased in 2004, so it maybe something with the USB device detection by the PC. I sometimes have to unplug and replug in my wife's Webcam for that to work. I have tried different USB ports, and even unplugged every other USB device except the phone, Keyboard and mouse.

I am stumped! Some help would be appreciated. The problem that a network connection is not being created is preventing me from performing those steps in all of the trouble shooting guides I have read. Also, I do have the Cisco VPN client installed, but the Network Connection for that is disabled. I have no firewall or antivirus software installed.

Please help.
  12. unixtool1192

unixtool1192 New Member

I found the issue. I am an idiot! The USB type on the phone was set to Mass Storage device instead of Active Sync Rndis. Now it is syncing away. I just wanted to share this with you all in case someone else has the same issue.