Q9c Reboot and Shutdown

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by bhcluc, Apr 3, 2008.

1. bhcluc

bhcluc New Member

Q9c Reboot and Shutdown

Seems like my Q9c reboots randomly and also shuts down sometimes without warning. It happened 4 times yesterday and once today. A motorola rep told me this might be updates being sent to the phone. I am not so sure!

Might this Q9c be more picky about what cables it likes? Seems like it will only sync/charge using Motorola branded cables... maybe plugging it into a cable by another manufacturer cause this issue?
  2. miro

miro New Member

I don't think your phone gets over the air updates, period. Maybe someone else can confirm or deny that...

The battery is sensitive to the charger used in my experience. I have a coworker who purchased a Q9m on eBay and the charger they sent was Motorola, but not the stock Q charger. He had trouble for a solid week until I convinced him to try my OEM and it charged his device with no problem. If you are seeing battery trouble, I would at least try an OEM charger first, that way you can rule it out.

I can't imagine that a poor charge would cause a spontaneous restart, though. Have you tried a master reset? It sounds extreme, but it has fixed much worse problems than yours. If you are using ActiveSync or Vista's Mobile Device Center to back up your data, then in my opinion a master reset is a minor (hour or two at most) inconvenience.
  3. bhcluc

bhcluc New Member

I have WM 6.1... which does do Windows Update... but I don't think that is the issue...

I did a hard reset earlier today... and it still is having the same problem. i have two IMAP email accounts, google maps, and PHM reg editor installed... but havent made any reg edits, thinking that would solve my problem... no dice.
  4. miro

miro New Member

What device are you running WM6.1 on? If you have a build right now, I'm assuming its um, "un-sanctioned". Especially if it's an earlier build of 6.1 there's no telling what had changed and what is/is not working or causing problems.
  5. bhcluc

bhcluc New Member

Well, it is the same 6.1 that is going to be released to Sprint users here pretty soon. So if my issues are any indication of what others might experience, I would hold off on any updates!

Update-

uninstalled PHM registry editor and still experience same reboot issues.
  6. bhcluc

bhcluc New Member

Im going to do a hard reset again... this time, I am not putting any software on the device. It will essentially stay at factory defaults other than active sync to get my info over... I will then add one change per day. Maybe then I can find out what screws with it.
  7. bhcluc

bhcluc New Member

OK, figured it out... This has to be a hardware issue... I can replicate the problem now... if I drop the phone (no more than 1 inch off a surface) it will reboot. Must be a loose contact or something within the phone... at least I can reinstall everything. Good news is it looks like all software and hacks I have found on this site are 6.1 compatible...
  8. bhcluc

bhcluc New Member

Turns out the battery contacts were losing connection with the battery on slight impact. I used a paperclip to pull the phones contacts out a bit, and phone works FINE now.
  9. vincesq

vincesq New Member

There was a Qualcomm firmware bug that affected some models of Motorola Q's, Blackberry's, and Palm Treo's. These devices would spontaneously reboot for no reason - the device would be sitting on a desk at the time. Download the latest Connection software, and install the latest firmware. Some older models may not be supported so a new firmware version will not be available.

Hope this helps....

10. phatfunk123

phatfunk123 New Member

Has this solution taken care of the problem? I see you posted back in February. Just curious if that is all you had to do. I'm getting the same thing on a less-than-one-week-old Q9c. Thanks!
  11. bhcluc

bhcluc New Member

For that particular issue, yes... it fixed it. Now I am experiencing random shutdowns on occasion, and it appears this is a software isssue. For verizon a fix has been made, but not yet for sprint. I think you can get the fix applied at the store most likely. You might phone Motorola and ask them where you can get it.
  12. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

I'm having the same issue on a USCC Q9c that is about a week old.
  13. nsbetts

nsbetts New Member

I had the same issue with a USCC Q9c and I took it back today since I was within my 30 days. I got a new one and it is doing the same thing. The only thing that I put on it was my Exchange information for my email, Live Search, and my mini SD card. I'm going to reset and leave it for a day to see if it happens again.
  14. marmarinou

marmarinou New Member

Motorola now has an update for the USCC Q9c on its Support website:

http://direct.motorola.com/hellomot...trPhone=MOTO Q9c&strCable=Mini USB Data Cable
  15. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

Found that yesterday morning - so far no resets!
  16. nsbetts

nsbetts New Member

17. Bozz

Bozz New Member

I love to see peoples problems get solved here! This board has taught me a bunch, and made my Q a device I love vs. one that was OK out of the box.

Thanks EverythingQ.

Bozz
  18. USCQUSER

USCQUSER New Member

I am a USC customer and my phone was rebooting about 10 times a day. I downloaded the new update and no more problems. The funny thing about this is I talked to US Cellular and Motorola just last week about this problem and they both told me that they were unaware of the problem with the Q9c rebooting issue. They told me I probably just had a defective phone and I would need to get a replacement. One week later they have a update. Go figure!
  19. AnnieS

AnnieS New Member

Ready to give up on the Q

I have a brand new Q9c that I purchased brand new the same day they were released to US Cellular. I am having the same issues. The phone will just shut itself off & reboot at any given time without warning. Can someone tell me how to fix this issue?

I originally bought my 1st Q & had to return it because some of the buttons wouldn't work properly. I believe it was the N key for the most part. I would think that paying $200 for a phone after the companys so called customer discounts I would have a better quality phone.

So I returned that one they gave me the same style phone just another one. I am now having the issue of spontaneous rebooting.
  20. AnnieS

AnnieS New Member

Where did you get the update from?? How do I get it. I also have US Cellular, & have this problem.