Q9c GPS problem

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by hol lee cows, Jan 21, 2008.

1. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

so your using a sprint navigation app with your internal or external gps on your verizon Q9c?
    if your using an external gps why are you paying $10? is that for the sprint app?
  2. JD.B

JD.B New Member

No... the $10 is for the Telenav service. You don't have to pay for this if you use LIve Search or Google Maps. I do because I like Telenav better and otherwise my phone service is free (business phone - not on my dime). I only pay for Telenav.
  3. n99hockey

and now to the second part
    ...you are using internal or external gps
  4. JD.B

JD.B New Member

External...
  5. n99hockey

oh well it works because you are using external where as this thread is trying to get 'internal' to work
  6. JD.B

JD.B New Member

Yes... I know that. Was only throwing it out there as an alternative.
  7. edrhathaway

edrhathaway New Member

q9C GPS by different carriers

I'm starting to think that Motorola makes the q9C different for different carriers. If you review the specs of the phone at Microsoft and look at those by Sprint and Verizon, they say GPS yes. But those with US Cellular and Alltel say GPS no. I can tell you on US Cellular AND on Alltel, there seems to be no internal GPS. I've tried all ports, etc. NADA. I have a Treo Pro from Alltel...GPS works great. Why in the world would Moto do this? OR, is this not true GPS but this assisted GPS, which requires the carrier to implement? Fact is, if a phone has a GPS receiver in it, should make one bit of difference who the carrier is...as long as you can see the sky.
  8. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

assisted GPS will not work without an actual receiver in the phone (the assiste that comes from thr towers is primarily ephemeris data) what has happened is that the carriers (except for sprint) have locked the GPS to 3rd party apps.
  9. edrhathaway

edrhathaway New Member

9qc GPS

SO bascially, if I understand it, the Moto Q9C HAS GPS only if the carrier is implementing aGPS. In otherwords, it does not have a GPS receiver in the unit (like Treo Pro or some blackberries).

I guess that is why GPS is advertised on this phone in the specs differently by different carriers.

What a shame. It is a cool phone. You know, a Moto Q9C with WinMobile Pro would be a great phone!
  10. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

like I said in the last post there is an actual receiver in the phone otherwise my gps wouldn't cut out when I go inside</p>
    <p>the assist part is mostly the towers sending the ephemeris data (location and path of the sattelites) to speed up the location fix
    on the networks other than sprint something apparently was done to encript the output of the gps chip so that no program other than telenav could access it
  11. edrhathaway

edrhathaway New Member

Who is your carrier? I'm serously doubting there is a GPS receiver. Motorola just emailed me and told me there is no actual receiver in the phone but that it uses tower information to triangulate your position. I wonder if your phone on another carrier's network would still reveal GPS position?
  12. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

sprint is my carrier. as I said my gps stops working if I'm not in view of the sky whereas my old razr using the same program worked fine indoors.
  13. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

and most of the GPS apps use the data network to download the maps
  14. jan001

jan001 New Member

Just got off the phone with Sprint (about something unrelated) and, at the end of the call, the rep was telling me about a version of their "Everything" plan that, boiled down, would mean I'd be paying the same as I am now for all the services I have now, plus GPS.

I wasn't sure about changing my plan in mid-contract, despite her assurances that it wouldn't be a problem -- Sprint's billing is legendary for borking up stuff like that -- but before going any further, I asked her to confirm that the Q9c was GPS-capable. She put me on hold and came back and said it is not.

In reading this thread, though, I saw that there would be GPS settings under Phone Settings, and there are. So was the Sprint rep wrong? And if she was, if the Q9c IS able to use GPS, do I want to do it through Sprint or would be better off just using Google Maps somehow (already have GM on the phone) if it would allow me to avoid having to deal with Sprint on it? Or do I HAVE to have Sprint involved if I want to use GPS? From reading this thread, I'm not sure I want it badly enough to go through what sounds like a lot of on-going hassle.

So confuuuuuuused...
  15. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

Buy a bluetooth gps receiver on Ebay and cut Sprint out of it completely (except for data usage of course).
  16. springc

springc New Member

Q9c has build-in gps. Q doesn't. As you can read numerous posts about how to use GPS in Q9c.
    Google map works perfectly with the build-in gps. But it doesn't give you turn by turn directions as those standalone gps unit.
    You can install garmin mobile xt like I did and turn your phone into a garmin gps. However, there are some tweaks needed to make the garmin software to see and use your internal gps. You can search garmin in this forum.
    BTW, if you install garmin, then you don't need data service to use your gps (whereas google map do).

17. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

This is probably a good time to point out that not all Q9c's are created equal. Neither USCC or Alltel activates the internal GPS availability. I THINK Sprint is the only carrier that does. Not sure (can't remember) about VZW, but I don't believe their's is activated either.
  18. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

in general sprint doesn't lock out features like the other carriers do. the GPS on sprint's Q9c is perfectly usable without the telenav app (although I do use that more often)
  19. bro frank

bro frank New Member

hey all. just read everything on the gps after trying to do the com port change. maybe the title should be changed to say fix for gps on sprint Q9C or not for alltel USCell.

is there a way to work around the carriers barrier to the gps?

thanks
  20. n99hockey

no there is no way around it other than to get a bluetooth gps receiver for carriers who block the gps on there phones