Q9c GPS problem

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by hol lee cows, Jan 21, 2008.

1. hol lee cows

hol lee cows New Member

Q9c GPS problem

My GPS doesn't seem to be working. Under Live Search and Google Maps, it is always "Looking for satellite". I have checked under Phone Settings > GPS Setting and its set to "Always on" as well as Phone Setting> GPS > Location On

I'm starting to think its a hardware problem. I have tried several soft resets, as well as reinstallation of GM and WLS. The problem is I even tried the free trial of Sprint Navigation, and that didn't work either. It would hang at 90%.

I tried tweaking the settings with GPSCOM.exe, but I'm not 100% sure how/if it worked.

Any ideas before I try a hard reset later today, or give Sprint a call to send me a new phone? (I've only had it 4 days...)

Feedback, comments, suggestions appreciated.
  2. trouthunter

trouthunter New Member

Dumb question, when you use Google Maps are you selecting the use GPS? Also have you tried it Out Side? I don't get a signal in the office but do in the car.
  3. hol lee cows

hol lee cows New Member

Yes, I have selected "use GPS" on both GM and WLS. On WLS I have GPS intermediate driver selected. On GM, I have "Set by Windows" Tried both indoor and outdoor. It will "Look for satellite" and eventually says could not get signal after a few mins. wait.
  4. Echoes&Madness

Echoes&Madness New Member

This may be a "stupid question" but have you power cycled the phone (turned it off and then back on)? I had my GPS turned off and then wanted to use it so I went into the settings and turned it back on but still couldn't get a signal. I turned the phone off and turned it back on and it found the signal in three seconds...
  5. chapelhill

chapelhill New Member

This worked for me:

First, enable the GPS. Then:

Menu
    Options
    GPS Settings
    Highlight the first dropdown box and change the COM settings.

I don't remember which COM worked for me (4, I think) but just go from one to the other until it works. Just say "NO" to any error messages that ask you if it is ok to use things like the bluetooth. As I remember, when I chose the correct COM it went directly back to Google Maps and initialized the GPS.

If anyone has a correction to this, please reply. I tried to go through the steps on my Q before posting, but it has since defaulted to "Set by Windows" and I am reluctant to change that setting now, because I don't recall it option being there when I first downloaded the program. But regardless, I am absolutely certain this worked before because I had to go through trial and error the very first time I downloaded and experimented with the program.
  6. hol lee cows

hol lee cows New Member

Ended up performing a hard reset. everything works great now. thanks for the help. I guess I will never know what caused my problem, but at least it works now.
  7. brrrdog

brrrdog New Member

I can't explain why the sprint service won't work, but I had similar problems. First I had to select the "GPS Intermediate driver" in the WLS GPS settings. Even after that WLS locked up, but doing the automatic update fixed it.

Admittedly, performance could still be better. Once it gets a lock it seems to work fine, but it's really hard to get a lock sometimes. I even tried the aGPS hack and that didn't seem to help.

By the way, does anybody know a way to determine the actual port # gps is on without trying one at a time?

B
  8. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

From what I recall, the GPS does not run through an actual COM port, hence the need to select GPS Intermediate Driver. There was something posted a little while ago about mapping the GPS on the Q9c to a specific port, but I don't recall if that actually did anything worth writing home about.
  9. chapelhill

chapelhill New Member

I definitely chose a specific COM port and nothing further. One of the COM ports tried to utilize bluetooth, to which I declined, and I didn't have to go more than a few further before it worked. But definitely chose a COM and changed no other settings other than enabling the GPS from the settings menu.
  10. phoneleo

phoneleo New Member

does not work

I did both the com(3) and the GPS Intermediate driver and did not work for me.

any other ideas
    thanks
  11. chapelhill

chapelhill New Member

Ok, I just went throught the entire process (took longer than I remembered from last time but...)

Just in case your Q uses a different COM than mine... these processes need to be followed:

Each time you change the COM port, you must go back in to the "Menu" Select "Options" and "Use GPS". On my phone, each time I change the COM this setting would default to being off.

OK, here is the entire process, as I just performed it...

1. Start up Google Maps
    2. "Menu"
    3. "Options"
    4. "GPS Settings"
    5. "Set Manually"
    6. Select COM9 from the first drop down list
    7. Do not select anything from the second drop down list
    8. "OK"
    9. "Menu"
    10. "Use GPS"

If for some reason COM9 doesn't work for you, I suggest starting at COM1 and going through the above steps.

I do find it odd that I went through these steps when I first downloaded Google Maps, but that sometime since, my phone changed itself to "Set by Windows (Via Start -> Settings) all by itself. I don't understand how that happened, especially when it didn't work in the first place.

Anyway, I hope this works for you. I am in no way a phone expert or a Q guru, but this worked for me and I hope it works for you.
    :wink:
  12. mrmailer

mrmailer New Member

Why aren't you guys using the intermediate driver? I had used it but since the other day it doesn't seem to work with wlm or gm.

I tried selecting com9 as well, but on WLM it just sits there on "getting gps position" and GM also seems to do nothing.

What happened?!?!?
  13. mrmailer

mrmailer New Member

what automatic update?
  14. phoneleo

phoneleo New Member

works now

I tried changing the com did not work o WLS. I did a master boot and Intermediate driver was already setup and working. \

I like WLS better than google maps and the image is much better.

thanks guys....
  15. edrhathaway

edrhathaway New Member

Moto Q9c problem with GPS Also

Hi All,

I have tried to my wits end to get GPS to work...and no go. With google maps, I have tried all the ports as well as let windows manage (the only 2 options). With Windows live, I have tried all ports and the windows intermediate driver. Still no go.

We have 3 phones...all doing the exact same. So I'm thinking its not a hardware problem. Any of you that experienced the same problem and got it working can you please help?

My problem is that my carrier, US Cellular, doesn't even know what GPS is!!! So either I figure this out on my own or I get no GPS LOL.

Please help!
  16. Stewart

Stewart New Member

I constantly get the searching satellite....I may try a master reset and see where that gets me and let you know. My carrier is Verizon.
  17. papped

papped New Member

Did you install anything that mucked with the gps registry values? If so the gps intermediate setting might not work anymore.

Both WLS and GM should work with the intermediate driver at stock values.
  18. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

WLM and GM work fine out of the box on the intermediate driver. With that in mind, if you want to use a com port to activate the gps, such as for Garmin Mobile xt, you're going to have to play with registry values. Some people used the modaco Com4 hack, but had battery drainage issues. I personally use the COM1 hack, which you have to do manually, but COM1 does not have battery drainage issues like COM4, however this may have been corrected with the new update. In any case heres how you do the registry hack for COM1 (or any other COM port you want, just make sure that the "COM1:" string values for DriverInterface match the number for "Index"

[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\]
    String name="DriverInterface"
    String value="COM1:"

[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\ActiveDevice\]
    String name="DriverInterface"
    String value="COM1:"
    DWord name="Index"
    DWord value="1"
    String name="Prefix"
    String value="COM"
    (if you change the COM port #, I think you have to change the index to match: ie, com3 and index 3)

[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\GenericGPSDriver\]
    String name="CommPort"
    String value="GDD0:"
    (I believe this is the internal GPS port; I think this is the default setting...just making sure that it still is. you can check to make sure the internal GPS/intermediate GPS driver are working by using WLS or GMM and selecting intermediate driver and seeing if you can get a fix)

Use GMM or WLS and try COM1 in the settings to see if you can still get GPS signal and location...

These programs I was able to get to see GPS on COM1:
    Garmin Mobile xt
    Google Mobile Maps (2.0.0.11)
    Windows Live Search (2.5.2859.37360)
    gpsVP (0.3.7)
    trackr! (0.9.10)
    Sprint Navigation (1.0.13)(prolly uses intermediate GPS driver; worked before these edits and there are no settings in the program for GPS port...)

These programs I was NOT able to get to see GPS on COM1:
    Efficasoft GPS Utilities (v2.0)
    Nav4All (8.0.62)
    Reperion (SF1.50)
    Virtual Earth Mobile (1.71)
  19. papped

papped New Member

Make sure you backup the values.
  20. JD.B

JD.B New Member

Maybe I missed it but this is a long thread. I just got the Verizon Q9c today because my legacy Q got all wet and the screen blacked out. When I had the old one I used the Sprint download to get Telenav to work. With this new one I downloaded the AT&T software and it would not let me use my external GPS antenna so I inserted my MiniSD card from the old one (which is where I had the old Sprint stuff loaded) and walla!

Since it worked that way, I re-downloaded the Sprint software for the old Q but on my new Verizon Q9c so that I had a completely fresh install (still using the memory card again rather than the built in memory) and this thing works like a champ. I dont mind the extra 10 bucks as I have been paying it for months already anyway. I love the Telenav service... even if I had to do a workaround at least no "hacks" were required. I just opened up the .cab file and loaded it to my storage card.

Here is the link to download the software:

http://ota.telenav.com/ota/tn/sn-mot-q/

Again - If this was already posted on here please do forgive... I don't remember seeing it though.

Also, you will need a Telenav account... they offer 30 days for free.

Regards,

JD.B

(this is a repost from another thread)