q9c discontinued?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by JohnnyK32, Jan 6, 2009.

1. can the BB play avi's that TCPMP could play?
    I am up for an upgrade in June and may go the BB route.
    I hate pocket pc. Smartphone edition is a better platform.
  2. JohnnyK32

JohnnyK32 New Member

Thanks... I'm actually on Verizon, and the Napoleon had CDMA and GSM.

Cheers!
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

yea i hear ya but if you were going to use ebay to find a gsm phone for travel why not get an H and use it for travel...pop a sim card in and go

-Sent from my Q9n
  4. JohnnyK32

JohnnyK32 New Member

I already have several GSM phones for travel, and I wanted the Q... All of my contacts, notes, software, etc on the telephone that I prefer. (Q)

I don't even know what an H is :). I had a pcc6700 before the Q and did not like it at all. It was novel at first, but what a pain to opperate as a telephone. Yeah... I used VNC with it and managed servers until my fingers cramped up.. and had lots of other goodies on there... I just really like the Q. My notebook is with me 24x7 and I prefer to do any computing on that...

Thanks, and Cheers!

John
  5. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I had the original Q on Verizon for 2 years and have had the Saga for about 3 weeks now. I actually think the Saga is easier to operate for a few reasons. At worst, it is the same.

1) The Optical Mouse is terrific....very easy to use, very quick and responsive
    2) The Q, to the best of my knowledge, didn't use a completely standard implementation of the WinMobile OS. For example, settings, took you into the letter menu and you had to go 4 layers down to find your phone number, etc... The Saga, to the best of my knowledge, is a completely standard implementation of WMPro, with the addition of Opera. In other words, items are where you'd expect them to be for Windows.
    3) I find the keyboard to be the same in terms of ease of use. The FN and Cap Locks are different of course and that takes a little getting used to, but that's true for any phone change.
    4) The phone is very easy to use and the voice quality is better than the Q with no screen buzz.
    5) Items such as one button access to email, vibrate mode, phone etc are all intact on the Saga, just like they were on the Q.
    6) I find the power button "lock" feature to be very handy and easier than the home-space or whatever combination it was on the Q
    7) The dedicated "ok" button is also very nice to quickly close things.
    8) The fact that it comes with Office Mobile and you don't have to buy Documents to Go is nice as well. DTG never worked that well, especially with PDF's.

I operate the Saga almost entirely one-handed, holding it in my hand and using thumb on optical mouse. It's no different in that respect than the Q.

I use an extended battery which I never had for the Q, so I can't speak to the comparison, but I easily get a day of calling and surfing and emailing with that battery, in fact, it's generally not less than 50% when I plug it in at night.

Not trying to be a missionary and YMMV of course, but in my opinion only and my usage, it's at least as easy to operate as the Q and I think ultimately, a better device. Of course, it has the advantage of coming 3 years later, so you'd expect that... I loved my Q and love my Saga.

Again, YMMV. This post is for information purposes only and I have no desire to engage in flames or religious debates on the virtures of various devices. A couple posters have said they've seen nothing good about the Saga... There are at least a half of dozen review sites where it's highly ranked. Not sure what videos you're referring to on YouTube, but a very good one is located here:

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=5830

EQBob
  6. JohnnyK32

JohnnyK32 New Member

A very thoughtful reply. Thank you! I will check out the video and give the saga a second look.

Have you seen any docing devices for the saga? I had an ACE with sprint for a while when I had to carry around a phone for one of my customers... the connector was a pain since it was not a standard like the mini USB.

I actually have a cradle next to my bed and use my Q for an alarm clock/charger when at home and traveling... and another cradle on my desk in my office which connects to my computer for syncing. I am going to miss those. I guess I could make something similar in my spare time (ha ha).

If WM Smartphone is becoming less popular, I had better get on the band wagon with Pro, I guess...

Thank you again for the thoughtful reply.

-John
  7. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Glad you found it helpful.

I haven't seen a physical docking device, presuming that you mean an integrated charger / data conn to PC?. There are plenty of places that sell the data cables or extra chargers, etc, which is essentially the same thing. I used to dock my Axim and I docked my Q for the first time in over a year simply to wipe files from it. I did it once with my Saga just to set up the partnership if I needed it, but with Exchange synching things over and everything else being POP3 or browser, I don't do docking. I simply charge it. That of course is just how I use it.

EQBob
  8. JohnnyK32

JohnnyK32 New Member

Thanks again...

I found a retail shop that says they have one left in stock, so I'm going to go take a look at it. I'd like to unlock the GSM on it for use with Euro SIMS when I travel... I haven't had much luck with Verizon customer service on that. They's prefer that I pay roaming charges, or get an international plan that I turn on and off when I travel (My experience is that it never works right)..

I think I can unlock the GSM on my own if I need to.

I'm sure they have me recorded as a combative customer now. I get so frustrated with their customer service. If I treated my customers like they treat me, I'd be on the street starving.

OK.. Here I go... I told the guy to hold it for me... I'll bet it's gone when I get there (my luck).

Thanks!

John
  9. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Wow....you found one in retail...awesome...puts you ahead of most everyone else from what I've seen / heard.

No experience with the GSM stuff. That's one of the reasons I got the Saga and wanted the Q11, as I have international travel coming up. With the latest news out of Motorola, I'm sure glad I didn't wait.

Let us know what you think. I'm always curious to hear other's reactions. (or in this case, second reaction <G>)

Now if I can only figure out why we have a CH-53E Super Stallion circling overhead....

EQBob
  10. ScottQ9c

ScottQ9c New Member

EQbob: You have a private message!
  11. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

turns out verizon does still have them in stock tho
    and i find out two days later that that is what theyregonna send me instead.
    I had to call them to even get the ball rolling because they didnt know they had it in stock
  12. JohnnyK32

JohnnyK32 New Member

I'm sure they will have some in plain wrap boxes for warranty replacement for a while. Glad you were able to get one.
  13. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

just called sprint, they deny it being killed. It is also still on thier web site.
  14. JohnnyK32

JohnnyK32 New Member

I did not mean to insinuate that Sprint was discontinuing this phone... I was quoting my experiences with Verizon....

-J
  15. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Shooooooo, had me worried. The Q will never die, just freeze up from time to time.
  16. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Your post yesterday indicated (I think) that you were going to go get a Saga you found in stock... did you and how did you like it?

Or were you going to go get a Q left in stock?

EQBob
  17. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

me no
    i was gonna get a htc vogue (touch)
    instead they denied that transaction because the "manager" found some q9c in stock somewhere
    and it did come today no problem