q9c discontinued?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by JohnnyK32, Jan 6, 2009.

1. JohnnyK32

JohnnyK32 New Member

q9c discontinued?

After hearing a rumor that the Q9c was going to be discontinued, I went to the local Verizon Retail store (Company Owned)... I have all but given up on the Q Napoleon being released by them at all and I have heard that the Q9c is discontinued. I wanted to see if I could live with the Samsung Saga (WM6.1 PPC). After waiting for 45 minutes in the store, they told me that they don't have any in stock and that I'd have to order one to look at it. Gad! Called several stores - was told they never had any in stock.

So... I left the store and dialed Verizon from my car. The cs rep there told me that Verizon was going to stop selling advanced phones with WM Smartphone Edition. These advanced phones (pda phones) where only going to be released with Pocket PC versions of Windows mobile in the future. She told me that those units were to be more like computers than phones. What? Are they crazy? They are a phone company!

I'm not going to go into too much details on the rest of the crazy conversation I had, but here is the bullet point list I had her confirm for me.

1) Moto Q9c is discontinued.
    2) Never heard of Q Napoleon
    3) WM Smartphone is out - Saga format In (which I've heard nothing good about).
    4) No change in GPS support or crippling hardware - (we have to make money, sir... I gave her a huge lecture about Free Market, etc.)

Now... This was a customer tier 1 or 2 service rep, that may not know what they are talking about... but I thought I'd post this information up here to see if anyone has heard the same thing). This is the same customer service rep that thought it was perfectly fine to require me to purchase the saga, have it sent to my home, spend the time deactivate my phone... activate the saga.. evaluate it, and then reverse the process if I did not like the phone.

My current plan is to purchase a used Q9c and wait for my current contracts to expire... and then re-assess this whole mess....

I hope this post is not too fragmented... I am still recovering from my conversation with Verizon...

Anyone here similar info?

Cheers!

John
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

--moved to Q9c Forum--

1. you can probably still find a Q9c online
    2. Q9 Napoleon will not be sold to the public (believe it was government issued only)..there might be some floating out in cyber space
    3. The Q series is more or less dead
    4. Verizon will be de-crippling gps on the omnia and another phone this year (i thought saga) but there might be more

it does suck that the Q line is dead...

aaaaaaany how welcome to EQ:laugh2:
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

indeed indeed.... and welcome here.
  4. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

They REALLY hate selling the Q's.
    But anyway I kinda agree. WM standard is out. WM Pro is what all the new software is geared towards.
  5. Mobile Auto Repair

Mobile Auto Repair New Member

I do not doubt that before long if a person wants a simple cell phone for just calling that they will have to pay more for the phone & service than if they got the newest "humdinger top of the line" phone & service.
    Home telephones companys went that way over 15 years ago.
  6. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

Dont know if you have USCC in your area, but if so, the service is great and the phones are just far enough behind the curve so you could use the Q9c for at least another year....
  7. Militman

Militman New Member

So is this WM pro suppose to be better than the one the Q has? Is it really? Does anyone know if that is going to hurt us that have a Q right now. I really chose the Q over touchscreen also. Had iphone and delve and got tired of touchscreen but never regular PDA phones. I just got the Q a week ago and so I do not want to see the support for it to fall through. Glad I got it before they stopped selling it because I love it but want to have the best experience still.

Is it going to hurt Q owners?
  8. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

I don't think it'll hurt too much.
    There's just some programs that I wanted that wouldn't work on the Q.
    don't ask cause I don't remember now.

If your Q does everything you want your not missing out on anything.
  9. Militman

Militman New Member

Does everything for now but I can always use more new and improved.:tounge:
  10. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

I'm just greedy. If it's for PPC and it looks cool I have to have it.
    You never know how much you NEED SprintTV until something breaks it.
    Same with Pandora. I HAD to have it, until it started working haven't used it since x:

Be happy with the Q :)
  11. Militman

Militman New Member

I am with alltel. You tried sprint tv on another carrier? I take it you mean it didnt work?
  12. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

No I'm with Sprint.
    I do use it often just not enough to really worry about it if it's not working.
  13. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

several have gotten Sprint TV to work who were on other carriers.
  14. JohnnyK32

JohnnyK32 New Member

Well, I guess it has happened. I have turned into my father.

My gadget has to be functional enough to allow me to be productive. I have a laptop for power stuff, and my kids have all the gadgets for recreation.

It is always difficult to support multiple UI's in software development, I guess.. and you have to go where the all mighty dollar is.

I think the main flaw with the industry is that the carriers should supply the service, and stay away from the hardware. They would concentrate on suppying "service".. and the hardware would then be sold at your local electronics store.. or wallmart. You'd get the phone you want for $100 and be able to select the level of service you want. I don't know any other business off had that works the way the cell business works.

I am still on the Q1 and have been waiting for the napoleon for the GSM support. I have been using an unlocked gsm phone when I travel, and I guess I will continue to do that.

In regards the the Q9c... I have called around and found minimal stock in several stores. I am up for a discount, but have opted to purchase from eBay or another site. I have decided to ditch the contracts as soon as possible (not the service, but the contracts).

From the videos I have watched on Youtube, the Samsung Saga looks more difficult to opperate than the Q, because it is a PPC OS... This is too bad for old farts like me that like one handed operation. I guess I'm a minority.... and the popular ring tones these days confirm it...

This is a great forum, and I appreciate all of the comments posted here.

Happy new year to all!

-John
  15. softspirits

softspirits Guest

In regards the the Q9c... I have called around and found minimal stock in several stores. I am up for a discount, but have opted to purchase from eBay or another site. I have decided to ditch the contracts as soon as possible (not the service, but the contracts).

-John[/quote]
    Sprint still has Q9C for sale on their website new.

This absolutely sucks about Qs going away, what happened to the Alexander that was in development??? I wanted one of those. Don't tell me I am going to have to use a stupid touch screen thing, I have nails, and the two don't mix.
  16. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

thats why I'm leaning towards the touch pro, it has a keayboard also + It's 250-300 from Sprnt after my renewal discount
  17. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

Well I can definitely confirm that verizon has stopped selling the Q line. My poor phone (Quaisha) died last night after I let the battery drain completely dry by mistake. No boot, just a constant VERIZON-(blank)-VERIZON-(blank)-VERIZON, well you get the idea. That was the best phone I ever had and now im stuck waiting for a htc vx9600 that was overnighted to me by the customer rep....for a extra 20$. Yeah , It has a better camera and a touchscreen but I was happy. Plus in all of the troubleshooting ive done on other peoples phones I have never come across a better forum than everythingq.com.

Thanks to Manbat for the Kitt hs and everyone else that helped since I first bought the Q1
  18. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

Don't forget EverythingHTC.
    The way it's been going lately they're should be a lot of EQ'ers over there.
  19. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

everything htc!!!!!!!!!!!
    im going there
    now

...........i love the everything? sites
  20. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

if your looking for a gsm Q look into the Q9h

-Sent from my Q9n