Q9C Died Today

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by Zinja, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Zinja

Zinja New Member

Q9C Died Today

My phone froze up today while texting, a normal occurance. Went to power down and back up again, and it won't fire up.

Dead battery. Brick phone. Who cares? Today I make the decision to get rid of the Q9C that I've had for over two years.

The phone, in theory, is everything I need in a phone. But rarely does the thing function properly for more than a week. I'm sick of the constant hard resets, the data backups, and now the brick that it has become.

I'm upgrading. I'd like to urge others to ditch the witch and save yourself all the extra time you have to put into this thing to make it function like it should.

Others, let me know if YOUR phone died today. Just curious...
  2. Boredpianoman

Boredpianoman New Member

Not today, but the other day

Well my phone did brick a while ago, but I was able to UNbrick it using some techniques I've developed. And it only took me a day to figure it out. Since June of last year, my phone has served me very well.
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

sorry to hear that, although seem likes your not :dft011:tounge_out

which new phone did you get?
  4. mking8288

mking8288 Member

Just upgraded to HTC Ozone from Q9c

Yup, know that feeling too. But, ahhh .... there isn't a perfect smartphone or BB out there. I am ditching mine today too. FedEx just delivered my brand new HTC Ozone from VZW this morning. Got my VIP annual upgrade just in time (since the program is going away at end of Feb. 2010) and NE2 won't kick in until Sept. 2010 anyway.

My Q9c running WM6.1 is a FRU, about 1 month old since the "original" one that I got new in 2009 from the annual upgrade began acting up on a periodic & regular basis, freezing up and (extended 1600+ maH) battery life was getting miserable even though I took good care of my phone & had "invested" in tons of accessories - spare charger/batteries, software & customization. Did backups & hard reset, etc. and finally gave up - called 611 and got the tech support group to authorize a warranty exchange - so the new one has been doing okay, and actually had only frozen once on me. Otherwise, reading emails were okay (3 accounts) along with text msg. although I don't use SMS.

Funny thing is that I carry a backup Q - an original, unlocked Q8 GSM global/quad-band (black) using an AT&T Prepaid Gophone SIM, upgraded the WM6.0 to WM6.1 using a Chinese firmware flash, and it was much better, browsing was faster and it had very, very good battery life for a smartphone. I plan to continue using this as a backup device, especially when I'm out of town just in case CDMA don't work for whatever reasons.

Has been researching & exploring upgrade options for the Q9c, looked at the Android OS and variety of touchscreen phones, etc. - then, bingo, found a bargain this Monday on VZW's website - 24 hour sale special on the Ozone - for free. Checked into my account and sure enough, it's free with corporate discount, free activiation and bottom line - just need to extend existing contract for another year, not a big deal. Still, not happy with VZW's latest mandatory data plan requirements on most non-"dumb" phones (wife's EnV3 is grandfathered in) and their $350 ETF on advanced device. But, what the hell - I still get 22% corporate discount on the plan & data, plus still getting an old 100 text msg. option for $2.99 a month, enough for my basic SMS needs. And, since I'm getting this 6 months old phone for free anyway, the doubled ETF fee is something I can live with - been using VZW for 16+ years (except a 2 year period with AT&T WS in the mid/late 90's) as my primary carrier.

Now, I look forward to a much faster processor, more memory (it's like 4 or 5 x vs. the Q) - ability to upgrade to WM6.5 (once I pass the 30 days trial & satisfied with the phone's overall functionality), access to wi-fi (not needed most likely, but always handy to have) via the HTC, and more usable Google Map using GPS & without paying for VZ Navigator (although my Garmin is the primary when I drive) - and other customization options, etc.

I figure I will be ready by the time VZW roll out LTE in major metro market like mine, and other newer devices are well established at lower price points, I will be ready too to retire the HTC - right now, I will just skip the virtual keyboard & larger iPhone style touch screen. My Ozone is getting charge up now before I activate it later, but it's a tiny bit smaller than the Q, lighter, has a larger OEM battery (1500 maH) and feels almost perpect in the hand - I got a leather case to cushion it somewhat (and it has a hole for a lanyard) and a ring on the case for a carry loop. I'm ready to go with this new gadget.

The Q9c is showing its age - but, who knows, I might just put it on local craiglist or ebay and sell it for a few bucks since it's almost like new & I can throw in a batch of accessories. Good thing is that all the "extras" but the battery/cover will work with the Ozone.
  5. Boredpianoman

Boredpianoman New Member

Still with my clunker

:dft003:cool I still have my hybrid Q9m/c and I haven't decided on a new phone yet. I still wanna stay with WM contrary to unpopular replies. The Ozone is a nice phone, but I like the Omnia I or the II. I'm just not an "on-screen keyboard" kind of guy. Any suggestions would be very helpful in making my final decision.
  6. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

well the omnia is a touch screen, so the on you immediately like doesn't meet your criteria

verizon doesnt seem to be coming out with very many qwerty WM phones, they are loading up on android
    so as far as verizon goes as of right now i think the ozone is your best bet unless of course you rethink your OS preference
  7. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

I got an Eris because it was 10 bucks and USCC showed no sign of moving up from 1X here. The on screen keyboard sucks. The screen rocks. Android isn't quite ready for prime time. WM is EOL. I would wait two months.
  8. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

Still working the dog snot out of my Q9c :) I'm not a txt junkie and have SK Tools set to autorun every day. Seems to have helped quite a bit. Like many others I still have my Q1 on standby.

Haven't seen anything other than the TP2 that may replace it. Sprint is lacking in selection..
  9. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Pardon the hijack..but my Q9h Global is still going strong and I am amazed by how much I still get out of it. The Q9s were such underated phones.
  10. Boredpianoman

Boredpianoman New Member

True, but with many having trouble with their Qs, I find them to be maybe a little over-rated. Don't get me wrong, they are great phones and all. I guess its just a matter of opinion.
  11. mhans311

mhans311 Member

I just upgraded a couple of months ago from my Q9m/c hybrid to an Ozone. I really would recommend giving it a shot. I am enjoying this phone a lot. The processor is faster...you barely have to see that rotating pinwheel anymore. Videos play better. Music plays better. Gaming is smoother. My bluetooth headphones work better. Youtube is clearer. The camera is much better. The open GPS is awesome. Pretty much all of the apps I had on my Q run great on the Ozone as well. The only things I miss from my Q are the flash for the camera, the keyboard, the external speakers, and maybe the separate headphone jack. The keyboard on the Ozone really is fine...I got used to it really quick and now can type on it just as fast as I could on my Q. The phone is lighter, smaller, quicker, and just has more overall stability. It also feels much better in the hand and fits better in my pocket. I recently upgraded to WM 6.5...there are no real major differences but it does feel a little snappier. Just my two cents.
  12. Boredpianoman

Boredpianoman New Member

I should've said the other one.

I guess I didn't realize while I was posting that I meant the TouchPro 2. Anywho, I'm glad the Ozone works for you, you seem very happy with it. I really need a bigger screen. As good as the Q and the Ozone is, I like screen and the hidden keyboard. Makes going back and forth with the kybrd reminiscent of another phone that a friend of mine has. Well whatever the case, The search continues...:dft003:cool
  13. Tyler Lillie

Tyler Lillie New Member

My q9c died a couple of weeks ago. Figured it was a dead battery, so I put an backup battery in & it still didn't work. Had nothing to lose, so I tried recharging the phone. Next morning, I got up and it worked. Go figure...
  14. mking8288

mking8288 Member

My FRU Q9c is still sitting in my phone drawer and I still got 5 OEM standard & extended batteries, mini usb cables, travel chargers, wired stereo handsets, etc. dating back to the V3m days that I don't know what to do with .... I figure that since VZW sent me the FRU, I only used it for less than a month before upgrading for free to the HTC Ozone, that the Q9c is good as a backup insurance phone (since I NEVER buy extended equipment warranty coverage). It's a good thing during its prime days then, but it's still a working phone for making calls, getting SMS, checking emails & web browsing - it's not an iphone and it doesn't have the bells & whistles of the Droid, but I am still its proud owner, and it's been paid for in full.

Anway, for almost 3 months now, the now unlocked (by Global Support) Ozone running WM 6.5 has been great & met/exceeded my expectations and requirements on how I use my "advanced device" a/k/a smartphone - took it on a week long vacation to Richmond / Vancouver, BC Canada recently and it roamed there just fine (disabled Data Connection as I didn't want sky high billings for data) - and the T-Mo prepaid Sim worked great roaming on Rogers Wireless. The wi-fi feature allowed me to use our hotel's free HSI to download emails, etc. without running any extra charges.

With the latest Google Maps 4.1 & voice search, this phone is really a workhorse for me - keyboard is 95% sized compared to the Moto Q series, and since I don't do much texting on the phone, except occassional SMS, it's fine for I "demand" it to do - the CPU is much faster & with higher internal storage capacity, there's still plenty of room for installing extra apps - leaving the mini SD card free for playing MP3's (only wished a standard 2.5 or 3.5 mm can be directly plugged without that connector) - and freezes/reset, etc. are almost non-existent, thank God (knock on wood !!) Also, finally figured out how to use that voice assisted dialing feature - not as user friendly as the Moto's plus it will work with my Jabra's BT and not Moto's BT (go figure ....)

All of the high-end phones have issues or problems, regardless of the OS and/or providers chosen, as we are expecting & demanding computing power from the little gadgets that has nothing to do with the cellular phone's original mission - to make & receive mobile calls - and with that in mind as I go back to the bag phone/brick phone days, progressing to the Startac series then and so on - the Q era has gone. But, there are still many users globally who still count on this phone for getting the job done.

I will, however, hold on to my new gadget - the Ozone - for a while. The insurance duty for my K1m (which bumped the V3c) is now being assumed by the Q9c - in case I lose the Ozone, drop & damaged it or somehow need an allernate phone before my next scheduled equipment upgrade.

Also curious, what phone did you upgrade to or replaced the Q9c with ?
  15. Tyler Lillie

Tyler Lillie New Member

Haven't replaced it yet but my near-brick experience with my Q9c drove me to consider my options. Landed on HTC Droid but am a little nervous about the screen keyboard (see postscript below). Also concluded that there appears to be only one out-of-country option for GPS (Copilot) and maps are limited because the Droid has on-board gps that works with Google maps and that reduces the incentive to develop third-party maps. (I travel overseas and my Q9c works fine there with Garmin and a bluetooth GPS receiver.) Gonna stick with the Q9c until it terminally bricks...

Postscript: Motorola has a Droid, but after dealing with their blocking of GPS on the Q9c, I will exercise the only option that dissatisfied consumers have: don't buy their product!