Q9c 6.1 Update

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by GGranello, Jun 17, 2008.

1. GGranello

GGranello New Member

Q9c 6.1 Update

All,

I'm in somewhat despereate need for the Q9c 6.1 update file. After going thru hours of troubleshooting and exhausting all resources i came to the conclusion that the only help is the complete file so i can use that with rss lite. No matter what i do, the Motorola SW updater will not identify the Carrier nor the Model of the Phone and end with "no update" available. All known tricks and troubleshooting have been tested - to no avail. If somebody (by chance) has not deleted the Motorola update folder, the file is located in the "firmwares" folder and should be some 70MB big. I can provide upload space if that is an issue.

Thanks

GG
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

welcome aboard....

you are aware that the update is only available for Sprint Q9c owners.
  3. GGranello

GGranello New Member

Q9c 6.1 Update

That is exactley what I have. Unfurtunatley the brainiacs at Sprint are incapable of solving the issue i have, so i'm on my own here. I promise i wont tell the Firmware Police where i got it.....

Anyway, I should have spec'ed that I need the Q9c 6.1 upgrade for a Sprint Q9c. Who would try to flash the Sprint FW on another model anyway ?!?

Thanks

GG
  4. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

check in start > settings > connections >usb to PC
    make sure that enable advanced network functionality is checked.
    also make sure that there is no firewall running and that the USB cable is connected directly to the PC (not through a hub)

if that doesn't work try uninstalling the Motorola Software Update tool, redownloading it. and then following the above instructions again.
  5. GGranello

GGranello New Member

Q9c 6.1 Update

Tried all that on 3 different computers. Thanks for the tip. None of it works. As I wrote before, I'm certain (within reason) that flash with RSD lite will work - but that is a mood point without the FW file. As of right now, I would even take the original Q9c Sprint file (WM6) if I could get it..... I'm just saying....

Thanks

GG
  6. miro

miro New Member

If I understand your problem correctly, this might be of assistance:

I don't know how many other people did this, but prior to installing the 6.1 update I did a full reset on my phone. First I fully charged the phone while powered off, then as I turned the phone on I held the center/action key. At the master reset prompt I selected yes. Once the phone finished the first reset and booted into WM6, I chose master reset from the start menu again and did another full reset (I saw this recommended some time ago on these boards).

With my phone in a completely "new" state, I had zero upgrade problems.

I know it sounds like a pain to have to install your programs again, but keep in mind that you'll have to do that anyway if/once you upgrade successfully.
  7. GGranello

GGranello New Member

Q9c 6.1 Update

Thanks, tried as well. Same result. That phone (in the meantime) got soft, hard and really hard reset. Just the 5 lbs. sledgehammer reset is outstanding. I stopped minding my install quite some time ago - having a list what's on there and useful + all the contacts in outlook has me satisfied. Well, almost. Installing the proggys and mods will definitifley take less time than messing with that highly intelligent Motorola Online upgrade. Why could they not make that a standalone (hence downloadable right away) upgrade? I know, licences etc. - nevertheless it still sucks that i have to run around to get that file and try 3 different PC's etc etc etc - just to upgrade my Phone. I'm not what one would be describe as pleased....

Thanks for the tip.

GG
  8. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

have you tried calling motorola? Since the updater is motorola software that's who I'd call at least. What's the os on your PCs? I've heard of some people having issues with the 64 bit versions.

And just to cover all the bases, you are using the USB cable that came with the phone right?
  9. GGranello

GGranello New Member

Q9c 6.1 Update

Nope, havent called those Moto guys yet. And in all reality - I really don't want to. I know pretty much upfront how those calls go and i refuse to lose another 3 months worth of my life by getting aggrevated at some script reader on the other end. Simply, i know it pisses me off too much to voluntarily endure the pain.

As far as computers go: P4 3.2GHz 3G Box running XP SP3, P4 1.5GHz 1G Box running XP SP2 and one Laptop (HP) P3m 1GHz 1G running XP SP2. I tried none of my Vista Boxes since the word seems that they act up even more and XP seems proven. And to finish that capitel, on two of the 3 PC's I upgraded other Phones (L7c and V3m) successful AFTER trying the Q9c first and yes, I tried the Q9c again after the prof of concept. To me it seems the hardware (PC's) and Internet access is accessible and the update should work. It does simply not because the Software will not detect that it is a Sprint Q9c.

Tried Multiple original USB Cables. Of course.

Could somebody just send me that File - please? This is driving me nuts.....and I lost too much time with that already....

Thanks

GG
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

oh, their out there... and in here also.

(can't help you with the file.)
  11. GGranello

GGranello New Member

Q9c 6.1 Update

I know, I guess i missed the sarcasm smiley there......

Poor attempt to be funny...

GG
  12. BigKoont

BigKoont New Member

You did put ActivSync on all 3 computers, right?
  13. GGranello

GGranello New Member

Q9c 6.1 Update

Active What?

Just kidding.

Yes. Active Sync 4.5.0 Build 5096

I know it sometimes easy to overlook the obvius.

Thanks.

Still in need of the file. Anyone? It's not like i want the crown jewels...

GG
  14. dapperyout

dapperyout New Member

Have you tried disabling any the built in windows firewall or any third party firewall that might be running on these computers prior to the upgrade. For that matter unload any Antivirus programs you have as well.
  15. GGranello

GGranello New Member

Q9c 6.1 Update

None of the systems run the build in Firewall, the Laptop was a clean XP SP2 install (ghosted a new drive just in case) with Firewall disabled. The two desktop Computers run Norton AV Corporate Edition, the Laptop had no AV installed. Even with the AV running on the desktops, the L7c and V3m worked just fine. The AV software looks for files and usually leaves the Network connections alone anyway - i can't see that being the issue, again L7c and V3m worked - just the Q9c is giving me grief. If i had a way to trick the MSU into finding the Q9c it wold solve the issue as it would download the file then, not sure if there is a way to do that. Looks like i'm on my own if no one want's to share the file. Too bad.

Thanks all.

GG
  16. GGranello

GGranello New Member

Q9c 6.1 Update (again....)

All,

After much Frustration and digging around, I got a little step further. But still have not solved the issue. This is for someone that has done the Upgrade to 6.1 on his Q9c for Sprint and not yet deleted the Motorola Update Folder.
    Maybe this is easier than asking for the 80MB Firmware file. In the Firmware Folder there is a small File named: Sprint_USA_CDMA_Q9C....xml.msu (name shortend). If someone could either post this file here or send it to me via Email I would apprechiate that greatly. Hopefully someone can help me out here soon....

Thanks all.

GG
  17. Zinja

Zinja New Member

Device Lock Default

So, before I do my 4th Master Reset in a month....

After updating to 6.1 I chose to use the device lock feature. I changed the PIN to my lucky PIN number, and my phone fails to unlock when I use that PIN, as well as last four of soc, phone, all 0's, my MSL number I got from Sprint, and several other combos.

Any ideas as to what the device lock might default to before I hold down the middle button on powerup?
  18. GGranello

GGranello New Member

Q9c 6.1 Update

Nor sure how the prevoius post helps my issue but nevertheless, the default setting for the device lock is "disabeld", and the stored default is 4 zeros. However, those are standart settings and i'm would not bet much that they will get transferred correctly in the upgrade process. I also faintly remember to have read in one of the upgrade user guides (yes i do read them sometimes) that it is recommended to remove the device lock before upgrading. That might have been for an earlier version of WM though. Setting the lock afterwards should still work. Maybe try to set it to all zeros first and then change the code to your own after that works? There could be some SW that interferes as well....

Anyway, hope that helps.

GG
  19. buck q

buck q New Member

help

i have the new q 9c and dont know how to update to the 6.1 version can some one tell me how?
  20. Zinja

Zinja New Member