Q9C 2.5mm jack issue

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by PACanesFAn, Nov 13, 2008.

1. PACanesFAn

PACanesFAn New Member

I bought my 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter at Verizon. I think it was in the neighborhood of $30.00, but that was years ago.
  2. tully2

tully2 New Member

Edit made to earlier message to point out the mistake I made about the Radio Shack part number.
  3. cindra

cindra Active Member

Keep us informed on if it works for you! :smile:
  4. gadzooks64

gadzooks64 New Member

5. tully2

tully2 New Member

I definitely will let this forum know the result one way or t'other. What bothers me is that I can google many results of people trying to find wired stereo/mic headsets for many different phones, but no one posting real success anywhere. I'm suspicious that even if I do find a hardware solution that some software issue could be next.
  6. tully2

tully2 New Member

Wow, what a great price! The shipping and "handling" charges are what often make places like radio shack the better deal. Please let us know if you get good solid stereo with it since the Q store really should pull that Seidio adapter off their shelves and offer something better for the q9c for stereo. That Seidio is a very poor adapter compared to the radio shack one and with shipping costs $4 more.
  7. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

8. gadzooks64

gadzooks64 New Member

So far it's working just fine.
  9. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

:) Cool...i read your post as you were waiting for it...my bad
  10. tully2

tully2 New Member

I thought he was waiting too. So does the adaptor work pushed all the way in at both ends? No fiddling with plug placement? No static? Completely different clear sound out of each ear for stereo? Does it seem sturdy and not likely to break? No complaints?
  11. simollie

simollie New Member

That's a great deal. It works for both the stereo headphone and mic?

I also have the problem where the mic feedback a LOT when I talk to someone. I'm using my wife's headset came with her Juke. I wonder if that's just that headset or a problem of the Q.
  12. gadzooks64

gadzooks64 New Member

I don't have a single plug microphone/headset so I can't verify how well the microphone works with this adapter. The headphones work without any fiddling with the plug. I Plug it all the way in and get stereo sound.

I also have the Sony earbuds and adapter from the Verizon store that cost $50. The Sony set actually comes with two pieces: a set of ear buds with a 3.5mm standard connector and a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter with a microphone. I bought that set strictly for the adapter. I'd say the 1.30 was a much better deal. I'm really only interested in listening to my music with it and not talking on the phone.

I bought a couple of the $1.30 ones to leave in my purse, gym bag, and car because I can never seem to find one when I need it.
  13. simollie

simollie New Member

Ye the price is hard to beat. Although I'd like to know if it works for the mic, I ordered one just for the hack of it.
  14. tully2

tully2 New Member

I may order one of these too to have extras. That way I could leave them plugged into the end of the appliance I'd use and be less likely to lose one or wear it out as fast. I also use my radio shack adapter to plug the phone into my little 2.1 Cambridge sound system, which has a little subwoofer and has a 25 watt amp. Awesome room filling sound comes out of that tiny system and there is no difference in sound quality whether the phone feeds it or a laptop or PC. Another benefit of that ancient little sound system is that its power input is 12V so while I usually run it now off a 110V adapter in the house, I also use a direct 12V feed from a cigarette lighter for it which makes it sound great in the car and I especially love to take it camping. Since I now have this phone that can feed it as well as the laptop, I no longer need an inverter for sound or internet and will not wear down the car battery nearly as fast.

My future plans include living off-grid in a boat or camper and this phone has greatly simplified the process and reduced the cost of moving in that direction.
  15. tully2

tully2 New Member

The adapter from Ken's Electronics didn't work with a mic and worked poorly with speakers setting off the Voice Recognition app. Back to the drawing board...
  16. cindra

cindra Active Member

Definite bummer to hear this, but glad you came back to report. It will save someone else a headache! Did you decide if you were going to try the $1.30 one mentioned here?
  17. tully2

tully2 New Member

Haven't figured out what to do yet. Was thinking of switching the solder connections on the jack side of the little PC board in the volume module on the cord of the Turtle Beach headset. But I haven't found any pinout assignments for anything yet so I'm clueless on what connections to try. Between the volume module and the jack is some kind of inaccessible condensor thingie and I don't know what it does to the connections. Plus there must be software that switches the jack settings in the phone since it supports both a mono mic headset and stereo headset with only 3 conductor standard 2 stripe devices. So I'm way out of my depth here and really need to learn more.
  18. tully2

tully2 New Member

I'm seeing that this thread is hitting the top slot of some of my google searches so I suspect we're not the only ones looking for this solution, cindra. Decided that my next approach would be to try wiring a 4 pin 2.5mm plug to the end of a headset. I already have an extra Turtle Beach headset that died when I broke its connector trying to shave some plastic off. So I cut the Seidio connector in half, stripped its wires and those of the headset and started testing likely wiring combinations. Stereo was easy to get working but for the life of me I couldn't get the mic to work, even with it the only thing wired. Things also weren't making sense, so I dug out my old multimeter and discovered why. The tip and the first ring on the Seidio 2.5mm plug were shorted in the plug. I could see continuity on both. So there was no way the mic could work because it probably needs that first ring to itself. Confusing.

So today I went to Radio Shack and was stunned to find they have no 4 pin 2.5mm or 11/32" plugs (male) of any sort that I might build with. I can't understand it. I'm late getting to smartphones. Haven't these 4 pin 2.5mm jacks been around for years now? And earbuds are our only off the shelf choice for mic and stereo?? <rant off> Sorry... But I do feel better now. ;)

Ken's Electronics has either a straight or 90 degree plug, both with 6 foot wire which is more than I need. Operamini didn't show the price. Couldn't find one on dealextreme.com so I need to check it out more.

If I ever solve this I should go into headset business. Could make a fortune. <mutter mutter grumble>
  19. cindra

cindra Active Member

It sounds like you could be rich if you solve this and produce them. What an ordeal, tully, hopefully something will shake out soon. Good luck! :smile:
  20. tully2

tully2 New Member

Got the 2.5mm jack wired onto the headset and both the stereo and boom mic work great. Easily carved away some plastic from the plug to allow it to fit deeper into the recessed jack on the phone which improved the problems with automatic dialing and with Voice Recognition, though I doubt I've eliminated either problem.

Tuns out the mic needs to be the tip of the plug which I didn't expect. So the connections I used were as follows:

4 pin 2.5mm plug => Turtle Beach headset
    Red (tip) -> White (mic)
    Yellow (Ring1) -> Green (left audio)
    White (Ring2) -> Red (right audio)
    Black (Ring3) -> Gold ground + Mic shield

The headset is $15 at Best Buy (in gamer area, for Nintendo D2) and the plug is $3.75 + $4.95 shipping from http://www.kenselectronics.com. Impressive stereo (better bass response than my son's fancy Plantronics) and clear 2 ear phone conversation with an over-the-head wired headset for less than $25. I'm happy!