Q9C 2.5mm jack issue

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by PACanesFAn, Nov 13, 2008.

1. PACanesFAn

PACanesFAn New Member

Q9C 2.5mm jack issue

I just picked up my Q9C this past weekend (terrific phone BTW...lots of improvements over the Q1).

My problem is: I get a lot of static over the wired jack. I use a wired headset as a backup to my BT. When using it, I get lots of static, especially if the plug is bumped in the slightest fashion. In addition, I get quite a bit of feedback from the mic into my headset. My Q1 never had these issues. Does anyone else have these problems, or is it a defective Q9C? I am still well within my return period, so an exchange should be a problem.
  2. itz poly

itz poly New Member

I have not had this problem yet, as I use the jackfor listening to my mp3's, but im pretty sure that the jack is 1.5mm not 2.5mm. It might be 2.5 but im quite sure its 1.5.
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

it's 2.5mm.....
  4. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif]This 1.5 inches adapter converts the Motorola Q, Q9m, or Q9c built-in 2.5 mm headset jack into a standard 3.5 mm headphone jack - perfect for listening to MP3s, playing games and more. [/FONT]
    [​IMG]

:wink:...Info courtesy of the Qstore
  5. ScottQ9c

ScottQ9c New Member

Be sure the plug on the headset is clean. Take a little steel wool or a Scotchbrite pad to it and try it again. If you have any contact cleaner, spray the plug and then put it into the jack and move it around a bit. If the problem persists, try another headset. If there's still a problem, then you should probably exchange the phone.

My $.02.
  6. tully2

tully2 New Member

I'm trying to get a wired stereo headset w/ boom mic to work on my two week old black verizon Q9c w/WM6.1 pre-installed. The Radio Shack 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter I tried first gave me perfect stereo sound with all jacks plugged in fully w/no static at all. But the mic wouldn't work no matter how much I played with pulling out either jack. Used the Voice Notes app to test which works fine with the phone's standard mic at the bottom left of the keyboard with no jacks plugged in.

So I ordered the $8.95 Seidio adapter from the Everything Q store which arrived an hour ago. The mic doesn't work with it either and neither does the stereo unless I pull the 3.5mm side out a little. I also get static with the Seidio.

The headet I'm using is a gamer headset made by Turtle Beach for a Nintendo that cost about $15 at Best Buy. After breaking off the little tab block at the end of its jack and pulling out the two strips of metal attached to that block, this headset worked stereo and mic beautifully on a Blackberry Curve I tested, though it did take a little fiddling w/ the jacks to get it just right. The Curve came with a 3.5mm jack on the phone so I didn't need an adapter. The sound quality on the Turtle Beach headset is extremely good for such a cheap headset and its the only stereo headset w/ a boom mic I've found so far for a reasonable price.

I have a standard one speaker mono headset w/ boom mic and 2.5mm jack that I use for handling calls on the Q9c, but fumbling around switching headsets when a call comes in is a problem I want to solve with a one headset does all solution.

I'm not interested in a bluetooth solution and I hate those little Walkman earplug type headsets. I would rather avoid usb headets since things just get too complicated w/ splitters needed for charging and connections. And I hear the Q9c isn't good with usb headsets anyway. Besides that 2.5 jack should be usable, shouldn't it?

The only other possible solution I've seen is a 3.5mm headset at Best Buy specially designed for cell phones that costs $199! That is nuts.

So I'm at a loss now on what to do. Anyone have any successes with any headsets or have ideas of what I can try next? Do detailed specs for the Q9c exist that might list the jack layout or pinouts for this apparently proprietary jack on this phone?
  7. cindra

cindra Active Member

Mic use requires a 4-conductor plug, which has 3 plastic rings on it. Is that what you've tried?
  8. tully2

tully2 New Member

(Edit to point out mistake describing part number which is wrong here) I just found the package for the radio shack adapter that worked so well for the stereo (but not the mic) and it wasn't a 2.5mm to 3.5mm, it was a 1/8" to 3/32" w/ stock number 274-373, 4 pole jack. (Edit: DO NOT try using this part, see cintra's and my messages later in this thread that describe the error I made here.)

I also picked up an 8gig micro San Disk storage card for $39 at Radio Shack last week. Came w/ a standard USB adapter (like a thumb drive) which was immediately handy. Radio Shack says they are discontinuing them so they reduced the price from $129. I'd gotten a 2 gig micro with mini and full SD adapters for $15 a month before at Radio Shack. So now I have just about any possible adapter I could need. Seemed like good prices to me, but I admit I haven't researched it.
  9. tully2

tully2 New Member

Yes. Both the Radio Shack and Seidio adapters are 4 pole jacks which should handle left, right, mic, and ground points.
  10. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

does your carrier offer one? if so, i would get one there. sometimes paying more, saves money in the long run. i was told by sprint, using the wrong jack can do harm to your phone. of coarse, that could be a sales pitch.
  11. cindra

cindra Active Member

The Radio Shack 274-373 is not a 4-conductor plug, it's merely a stereo adapter. You need another black ring on that.
  12. tully2

tully2 New Member

All the providers just offer those earbud things or bluetooth headsets and that's not what I want. I'm surprised at how hard it is to find over the head headsets with booms with a single jack at the end. What's out there is lots of the PC gamer headsets with two 3-pole 3.5mm jacks to plug into the separate mic and earphone jacks on a PC soundcard. May need to see if something ipod makes might work. But they apparently have some issue w/a recessed jack which promises to be troublesome with fit.
  13. tully2

tully2 New Member

My bad. I looked it up on the radio shack site, and you are absolutely right that the 274-373 is not what I'd need. I must have the wrong packaging. What I'm using looks exactly like 274-004 which looks similar to the Seidio connector. According to the site, that IS a 2.5mm to 3.5mm connector. I'm very sorry if I misled anyone. Thanks so much cindra for the correction!
  14. cindra

cindra Active Member

Okay! I don't think you misled anyone, we just want to make sure we're all on the same page with regard to the look of the plug! :smile:

That said, I think that for the Radio Shack 274-004, anyway, the 4 conductors are not being carried through the adapter. The female end is still only stereo. That's probably why it's so tough to find...you need to change the size AND keep the 4 conductors, too in order for the mic to work. Maybe that's why the Seidio doesn't work?
  15. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

shame you dont whant blue tooth. the sprint head set is great. 99 bucks.
  16. tully2

tully2 New Member

Well, I just know how much I've relied on this forum for info and it bothers me that I screwed up that bad. Hopefully no one quit reading and went looking for the adapter I specified. :(

If the reviews of that adapter are any indication, you are right about this. Seems so senseless to set 4 at one end and then not go ahead and map all 4 the same on thru to the other side. There must be an adapter somewhere that is smart enough to do to complete job...
  17. tully2

tully2 New Member

I realize I'll probably be laughed at big time but I must confess to being one of those fanatics who is unwilling to use a cell phone next to my skull. I always use a wired headet to keep the phone a foot or more away from me while on a call. For the same reason, I'm unwilling to have a bluetooth transmitter on my head.
  18. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

I respect that, but do you keep the phone on your belt? what is that near?
  19. tully2

tully2 New Member

I never wear the phone anywhere on my body. It gets carried in my bag of stuff and in the car is set on a seat or hung by its tether strap from the rear view mirror if signal is troublesome. Had a magnetic mount extended antenna for my previous phone but unfortunately few if any newer phones seem to support external antennas anymore. Few even seem have to tether holes anymore. Wrapping the strap around the headphone cover stem is hardly ideal.
  20. tully2

tully2 New Member

Dug around and finally found a site that says it has "PH71-1285 size adaptor 2.5MM 4-conductor plug to 3.5MM 4-conductor female jack $6,18" at http://kenselectronics.com. Strangest site I've ever ordered from. But if what he says he has is true, then maybe it will work.

I've discovered quite a few others are looking to use a mic and stereo on wired headsets w/ their phones. Some people are resorting to making their own adaptors and even then are having problems finding 4 conductor 3.5mm female jacks. If what Ken sends doesn't work, I may have to consider making my own.