Q9 Global and Windows Live

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by jpwoof, Jan 11, 2008.

1. lbmmoh

lbmmoh New Member

I have been trying to reset my account on WL at least 10 times a day, and it actually synced and worked one time. After turning my phone off and back on, it no longer connected again.
  2. lexicon

lexicon New Member

try establishing a data connection vian another app first then going to wlm and syncing. so for example open PIE first and then go to wlm and press sync.
  3. lbmmoh

lbmmoh New Member

That does not help fix the problem unfortunately.
  4. jpwoof

jpwoof New Member

still broken... so I went and installed a push service from consilient.com since I only I want to use it for reading mails. It doesnt embed any images, but still allows me to manage my emails.

have you also tried the windows live v10.6 from the xda developer forum?
  5. lbmmoh

lbmmoh New Member

Unfortunately that will not install on our Q9H's because the Windows Live we currently have is built into the ROM. I tried to install that stand alone verson and I just get errors.
  6. lbmmoh

lbmmoh New Member

I got a replacement phone (refurbished) from AT&T today, and the WL is working just fine now. So was it the phone? thats my only guess right now, but its odd how it happened to many others in the exact same fashion and time period.

The only problem with the replacement phone is that my Sprite backup wont work properly. When I restore, my Medianet wont work, thus, I can not go online. I am rebuilding the phone from scratch.

Good luck to others.
  7. jpwoof

jpwoof New Member

Hi LBM!
    It's nice that you did not dump Q9 Global at all for another brand.

Although it is working right now, I have a feeling that Windows Live works out of the box but will stop syncing after 2 or 3 weeks of use. I think all Q9h are like this.

People don't bother with following up this issue with AT&T/Motorola because I don't think there's many of us who still use hotmail.
  8. lbmmoh

lbmmoh New Member

I know what you mean about this problem being ignored. It is like talking to a brick wall.
    The new phone is working good so far, and sync has not failed yet. Ill keep you all posted. For the record, mine worked for about 5 weeks before failing. So Im not sure its set to die in 2-3.

Im sure if ATT got tons of returned phones, they would pay attention.
  9. acedj123

acedj123 New Member

Ok....I don't know if this is related...just a fluke..or simply coincidence. I had the same problem as all of you, Windows Live worked great for a week or so and then this Friday, it stopped working on my Q Global!

I tried everything including the "switching account" deal and no go. Tonight, I decided to have a look around and found a text file in the root of My Device that I was able to open with Doc's To Go Word (I just clicked on the text file from File Manager). I'm sorry that I don't remember the name of the file...but I believe it had "log" as part of the filename.

Anyway, after opening this file and reading around, there were many references to "failed sync" and a few Internet addresses that didn't look familiar but may be related to Microsoft. I closed the file and then deleted it.

After I deleted the file...went back to the home screen...brought Windows Live back up...switched the account again and BOOM! IT WORKED!

Again, I don't know if this is the fix to everyones problem, but it seems wierd that the sync'ing didn't work for 2 days and as soon as I deleted this file...it worked again.

If someone else whos Windows Live sync'ing isn't currently working wants to try this and report back their experience..I'm sure everyone here would be most grateful!

Once more, the text file was the only one in the root of the device that was able to be opened by the stock Word application. In fact, it had the Word icon by the filename as the file extension obviosly had been associated to Word.
  10. acedj123

acedj123 New Member

FOLLOW UP:

After a reboot of the phone I went back to not being able to sync with Windows Live. I checked to see if the text file had returned and it had not.

I now remember the name of the file had to do with the connection manager.

Back to the drawing board :(

PS: If nothing else...I think this issue is either in the phone or with AT&T. It is possible that with my reboot, the IP of the phone changes and for some reason the requests for Windows Live are not getting thru (the login credentials always work, but the transport function is what seems to die which takes place on port 50001).

It could also be some sort of file problem on the phone...but I doubt the MSN servers dies as I was rebooting my phone :)
  11. lbmmoh

lbmmoh New Member

You are experiencing what I did, on random occasions, the phone will sync. But after a soft reset, it will not work again.

I got a replacement phone and it has worked since, so my feeling is that it is the phones problem as well. Maybe some memory issue? Rarely is it a device problem with this kind of software, but Im convinced that Moto screwed something up.

I just hope the new phone willl continue to work.
  12. acedj123

acedj123 New Member

I'm glad to hear that your new phone is working properly! If you wouldn't mind (and you have the ability to look at your phones registry) could you take a look at the following registry values and report back to the thread as to what they are?

I have a hunch that your settings may be different and want to confirm.

The keys in question are:

HKLM\Services\Windows Live\Platform\Passport\Server
    HKLM\Services\Windows Live\Platform\Passport\ServerToken
    HKLM\Services\Windows Live\Platform\Transport\Port
    HKLM\Services\Windows Live\Platform\TRansport\Server

Thanks!
  13. lbmmoh

lbmmoh New Member

Here you go.,,,
  14. acedj123

acedj123 New Member

Thanks! The setting are the same in my phone as well for those keys.

I did find out something VERY interesting. In the attempt to narrow down who may be at fault, I decided to try using the Internet pass through feature of ActiveSync to see if Windows Live would sync thru my home Internet connection. For some reason when I connected the Q to the laptop...it would not pass the Internet through to the phone. I had to add the following key to BOTH the phone and the computer:

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\
    AllowLSP REG_DWORD 0 (zero)

On the mobile...\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is HKLM (for those that don't know)

Once the phone had Internet access from my laptop, I was able to switch the account in Windows Live and it worked perfectly! I then pulled the USB cable out of the phone and the phone went back to using EDGE for Internet access. I then sync'ed a half dozen times and all went well (logged into messenger too). I then tried rebooting the phone and when the phone came back on, it wouldn't sync! I reconnected the phone to my laptop and waitied for the EDGE connection to go away and then tried sync'ing again to no avail. However, when I switched the account again, it picked it right up...was back in business...disconnected the phone from the laptop and maintained the connection when the phone went back to EDGE.

So, what does all this mean? I think we can rule out an AT&T problem and a Microsoft server problem. I do now believe it is an issue with the phone/software on the phone. The fact that it works when I connect it to my laptop and then works on AT&T after I disconnect the laptop until I reboot the phone suggests that the problem lies in the WL software properly detecting and using the correct Internet settings.

I'll do some more research tonight and see what I can find.
  15. lbmmoh

lbmmoh New Member

Sounds like you are on the right path. I hope you can at least find a solution seeing that MS and moto cant.
  16. acedj123

acedj123 New Member

Another update:

I deleted the wap network proxy and changed the USB connection to "mass storage" so that there was only one Internet connection that Windows Live could look at when the phone was not connected to the PC. I then rebooted the phone and still...no go!

My thoughts now are that for some reason, when an account is created some piece of information that Windows Live need in order to sync is not being written to the proper place (like the registry or a .dll file etc...etc) or it is being written and is not surviving a reboot of the phone.

I can't imagine why though that everything will work for a week or two and then all of a sudden die. I sent an email off to Microsoft support and posed in Microsoft forums begging to speak with someone who had a hand in writing the software for WM6. I'm confident if I am able to speak to someone there with a clue that this could be figured out in short order.

I'll keep you all posted as I find out more. Until then, if someone else wants to recreate what I have done and/or expand on it...it would be most helpful!
  17. acedj123

acedj123 New Member

UPDATE:

I just got word from a Microsoft Techie that the info I gave them reference this problem was extremely helpful (I guess it was more involved than they were used to). I was told that they have been getting a lot of emails about this problem and are working on a fix. The tech explained that they are not sure at this time if this issue is being cause by a server problem on their end or if it is within the vlient on the phone, but with the new info I gave them, he figures that they should be able to narrow it down relatively soon.

He told me he'll keep in touch and ask questions if need be during the process so I'll post updates as I get them.
  18. punkouter

punkouter New Member

[I dont know if this is realated but recently when I hard reset my hotmail contacts are not being imported

is this related?
  19. acedj123

acedj123 New Member

Could be...are you able to see any of your email, contacts or sign into Messenger after you enter your account info into Windows Live setup on the phone? If not, this is probably related.
  20. acedj123

acedj123 New Member

HERE'S A FIX!!!!

Until Microsoft gets off their butts and fixes this problem for stock Q Globals...I have found a fix that WORKS!

*** IMPORTANT *** You MUST have your Q application unlocked prior to installing this .cab file. If you need instructions on how to application unlock your Q9h, refer to this link:

http://www.sems.org/entry.asp?ENTRY_ID=157

Download the following .cab file:

http://www.w1ckd.com/files/WindowsLive.cab

Transfer the .cab to your phone (using ActiveSync or mass storage).

Install the .cab and follow directions (Install to "Device" NOT "Storage Card"!).

Your phone will want to reboot, let it, set up your account info and have fun playing with a WORKING version of Windows Live on your Q9h (Global)!

PS: I have personally tested this extensively on my phone tonight for a few hours and can vouch that it works on my Q Global without any negative effects. The .cab file is being hosted on one of my web pages and is virus free. I found the file scouring a developer forum in Europe and decided to be a guinea pig...glad I did!