Q Speed Hack

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by Stryker, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Stryker

Stryker New Member

Q Speed Hack

1) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE
    change limit from 16384 to 32768
    2) Navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\STORAGEMANAGER\FATFS
    change cachesize to 4096

Has anyone done this? I'm being cautious and would like to know if any of you guys/gals have tried this hack yet be fore I try it myself. It's supposed to increase the responsiveness of the Q.:thumbup:
  2. q-rocks

q-rocks New Member

Why not just try it, you can always undo it. Worse case, the phone is unusable and you have to throw it away......hehe.

BTW:
    The GDI tweak: This tweak will improve the response time of Pocket Internet Explorer when opening large HTML documents. Taken from http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0006.asp
  3. q-rocks

q-rocks New Member

Well I just tried both of these. Actually I set GLYPHCACHE = 65535.

My Q is definitely responding faster. Windows display almost instantly now, instead of drawing partially, then the rest drawing, etc. Going back is instantaneous also. I think this is all due to the second tweak. Nice.

The first tweak seems to have no effect on web page loading time however. I will play with this some more.
  4. Ballzo

Ballzo New Member

"Well I just tried both of these. Actually I set GLYPHCACHE = 65535"

Wow, that is fast.. At least on mine.. That's a big difference..

B
  5. shahn

shahn New Member

sorry i'm a little gizmo-dense.. how do you get to the "hkey" thing?
  6. taxl

taxl New Member

I think it is in the Windows Directory?
  7. shahn

shahn New Member

i've looked all over and i can't find it. i heard something about dling a registry but i don't know if i dl that on the Q or on my mac
  8. Stryker

Stryker New Member

Speed Hack

It works!! Q is much quicker. I have the game folder with like 12 games in it and it had taken usually 10-15 sec. to open. Now takes just over 5 sec. ;-) Also deleting the temporary intenet files is super fast now. Only takes approx. 20 sec. instead of the 1-2 minutes of sluggishness. Even menus are popping up quicker, though I've noticed a very brief split sec blank screen before the new page comes on screen. (still faster) Everyone one should do this hack !!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
  9. shahn

shahn New Member

sorry to bother, but can someone help do this hack? i'm a bit technologically challenged.
  10. taxl

taxl New Member

So what is the directory path to the File?

Everytime I click the windows folder my Q crashes.:(
  11. Ballzo

Ballzo New Member

12. taxl

taxl New Member

Thanks, I figured out late last night after a few hours of trying that I am in Canda and Telus seems to have locked this part of the phone.
  13. jbaraga

jbaraga New Member

I'm getting an "Access Denied" error when I try to change the registry entries.

Any suggestions? I'm using something called Mobile Registry Editor - is there a different program anyone could recommend?
  14. TAG1976

TAG1976 New Member

Give me some examples of noticible speed increases. Im on the fence with messing with the Registry (due to past experience) What does it speed up?[​IMG]
  15. q-rocks

q-rocks New Member

I had the same problem and discovered this: Mobile Registry Editor will work.....but you have to do AEConfig first......read about it download it at http://www.breaksoft.com/Blog/Posts/2005/8/Mobile_Registry_Editor_FAQ.aspx

Look for AEConfig.exe on the page....and follow instructions.....I did this a month ago and Mobile Registry Editor works like a charm for me now.
  16. q-rocks

q-rocks New Member

TAG, look back at previous posts on this thread....there are some descriptions. BTW, this hack is safe.....my Q is living proof.
  17. Ballzo

Ballzo New Member

Tag, don't sweat this one.. really.. I don't think there are speed benchmarks for mobile phones!! At least not yet.. Hehe.. I'd previously adjusted these cache settings but noticed very little "Real World" difference.. But read this guys serilously elavtaed tweaks and throught WTH.. Give it a try... The Q is much more responsive, opens and exits programs, open IE much more quickly.. But as always your mileage may vary.. Just write down specifically, the original Registry settings, and then then the changed default values and the paths in case you don't like it or want to revert.. No worries with this one..
  18. TAG1976

TAG1976 New Member

Thanks Ballzo!
  19. Wolfnatas

Wolfnatas New Member

Another satisfied customer here. Excellent hack. Improved performance navigating menus, opening & closing emails, pretty much everything but my sufring is sped up.

Thanx!
  20. mpknyc

mpknyc New Member

where is the hkey thing so i could do this also