Q sound ... does this sound normal?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by schmidtj, Sep 1, 2007.

1. schmidtj

schmidtj New Member

Q sound ... does this sound normal?

I've noticed a few things about the "Q" that I am wondering if they are normal:

1) Wired stereo headphones (earbuds) produce sound only on the right channel. The test sound is a Stereo WMA 192 kbps 44khz stereo 1-pass CBR file. Sound from right earbud only. Tried the earbuds on my Treo and a LG phone at the Sprint store. They work fine on the Treo and LG but mono/right channel only on the "Q".

2) When the "Q" is connected to my car's Bluetooth Handsfree Phone Kit no music sound comes from the "Q's" internal speakers or wired headset if I plug them in. So Bluetooth Handsfree and music player functions seem mutually exclusive. Either/or but not both.

I was hoping the "Q" would make a decent MP3 player with wired earbuds but that isn't the case it seems since sound only goes to the right ear and not even there if using my Bluetooth Handsfree. I was hoping to play tunes through my car's AUX Audio input and also use the Bluetooth handsfree kit for phone calls while on trips. That too seems to not be doeable.

Is there some setting I am overlooking or is this "working as designed".
    I did try everything on my "Q" and another "Q" at the Sprint store and both "Q"'s worked identically.

Tnx,
    J
  2. troutseth

troutseth Guest

1) Not so sure, mine are good to go. Are you sure the headset is a stereo headset - Q requires that.

2) This has more to do with your car. There are two profiles for BT - one is handsfree and one is stereo headset. Unfortunatly, anything plugged into the jack is assumed to be a hands-free first so you can't do a BT hands-free and a wired headset. You could do a wired headset then pair the Q with your car as Stereo headset (if your car supports that). Just an FYI, my TREO worked the same way . . anything plugged in is assumed to be a headset and you can't have two different headsets active at the same time.

Someone may have some work-arounds . . . ?
  3. schmidtj

schmidtj New Member

It's a Treo headset and has earbuds labeled L and R so I'm going to say it is a stereo headset.
    It's weird it fails on my Q and also the new one they took out of a box at the Sprint Store but the headset works fine with a LG phone and Treo. Oh well. :(
    Thanks for clarifying the limitation on having a wired headset and BT connection simultaneously.
    J
  4. odnerd

odnerd New Member

There are 2 types of "stereo" headset for cell phones. The Q has to have one that has 3 rings on the plug. The ones that Treos, LGs and also Nokias use only have 2 rings on the plug resulting in mono sound if used in the Q... Radio shack sells a pretty good adapter to use any headphones with your Q for around $10... Hope that helps...
  5. schmidtj

schmidtj New Member

6. schmidtj

schmidtj New Member

Problem solved.
    For some reason the 4 pole Treo earphones are not compatible with the Q. Taking your suggestion I got the $10 4 pole 2.5mm -> 3 pole 3.5mm adapter from RadioShack.
    A set of standard stereo earbud earphones work just fine.