Q slow and freezing

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by Rob_jr, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Rob_jr

Rob_jr New Member

Q slow and freezing

have the Q9M, and have had it for a little less than a year with no problems. Yesterday it started getting funky with me. Now i mean, it had been slow to bring up screens once in a while, but last night and all day today its CRAZY slow and freezes. if I try to go to the start menu it takes a good 30 seconds to open, or any other program on the phone. If i lock the keypad and then try to unlock it the phone freezes...cant do anything, include shutting it off. I have to take the battery out and turn it back on.

another issue that started at the same time is when i go to text someone (when i can actually get it to work) all get about halfway through the first line of text and the rest wont show up...the cursor continues to move and once the text sends, everything shows up in the outbox.

anyone have any ideas on what the hell is goin on?

i might just take it back to verizon, should still be under warranty
  2. sherri

sherri Active Member

Did you try cleaning up internet cache/memory/cookies? Did you run SKTools Lite? Those usually help me. Good luck!
  3. jasoraso

jasoraso Member

Sherri had some good suggestions. After a while, the windows gets full and slow ... 1 year isn't bad ...

I would also suggest you turn off predictive text ... this is notorious for slowing the Q down ...

BUT, if you really want to make your phone fast again, backup your contacts etc. (either using Outlook on a computer or dashwire.com) and then do a hard reset ... that will do everything Sherri suggested and more ... then change the setting I suggested regarding predictive text

AND if you really really want it fast, then backup up your contacts, and load the Q9c 6.1 rom ... that is the equivalent of a Hard Reset and more!
  4. Rob_jr

Rob_jr New Member

since i got the phone i've kept up with keeping all the non-needed files cleaned out (cache/cookies/etc). always keep my inbox and outbox empty. predictive text has been off. i just thought that it's strange that it basically happened overnight.
  5. jasoraso

jasoraso Member

Hmmm - that's interesting ... but I would still guess it is a software issue, fixed by a hard reset rather than a hardware issue.
  6. Rob_jr

Rob_jr New Member

did a master reset (pressing and holding the center navigation button and power button on powerup) and things seem to work good now. only thing that stinks is that I couldnt backup contacts or any other stuff that wasnt saved to my memory card so i lost it all.
  7. sherri

sherri Active Member

Dashwire? Outlook? Contacts were no where else but phone?
  8. Rob_jr

Rob_jr New Member

nope...only on the phone....stupid i know
  9. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

Two things come to mind and dont think im belittling you.
    1) are you turning off the programs in Task Manager when your done with using them (the programs)
    2) Do you still have ActiveSync on your phone? You can back up things that way... and since you are using the Q9M im about 300% posititve that you are with Verizon.
  10. kenman

kenman New Member

hello guys i also had the same issue. my problem started on the same day and i have had the phone for about the same amount of time. is it coincidental? or is verizon trying to mess up phones by having them lock up and freeze to get you to upgrade. i think its a scam!!
  11. Geeky907

Geeky907 New Member

Scam, I think not...

Im all the way up in alaska, with the Q8 (Q GSM) on GCI (Att Reseller) and my phone started doing that the same day that you guys started having problems too... this is a VERY odd commonality... wonder if there was some sort of general OS update..

only thing i can think that might have caused this is i had just reciently installed IPTOOLS on my Q..

how bout you guys?
  12. amoren

amoren New Member

For about 1 month mine has done this too! Slow as molasses, and the text disappears while typing in a txt message.

Actually it started when I tried using the verizon wireless sync software. I did a hard reset, and restored a backup from just before the wireless sync software was installed. It worked fine for about 2 weeks, now it's doing the same thing, and I have not reinstalled the wireless sync software, but it's still messed up.
  13. lil_sunshine

lil_sunshine New Member

My phone hasn't done this for several months. It seems to be a memory problem, the phone tends to hold onto data that t shouldn't and gets bogged down.

I went to "Text Input Settings" and disabled the "Suggest a word" feature. Then, while still in the Text Input Settings screen I selected menu then cleared the history.

I also stay away from webbased applications. Specifically, Yahoo! Go and Windows Live.

Haven't had any problems since.
  14. memairport

memairport New Member

Memory Problems

My Q9C is doing exactly the same thing. Locking up at bad moments and when typing text the text does not appear on the screen. It constantly gives me Memory Low messages yet I put everything on my card...4 gig card with plenty of room. I am not able to determine what program or file is causing a memory problem.
  15. ptsergent

ptsergent New Member

I had that problem with a program I intstalled it slowed my whole phone down. more than likely the last one u installed. that how it was for me noticed it right away.
  16. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

SKTools again, clean the RAM and memory, you will be shocked what it finds.
  17. ptsergent

ptsergent New Member

when I had that problem I did a master reset and did not reinstall the last program I had had on my phone and it is fine now.I do have sktools installed now.
  18. ptsergent

ptsergent New Member

when I had that problem I did a master reset and did not reinstall the last program I had had on my phone and it is fine now.I do have sktools installed now.
  19. cputrdoc

cputrdoc New Member

On mine, turning off the autotext feature wasn't enough, I had to clear history. After that it was fine. ...and now that I've installed the WM6.1 ROM from the Q9c per the other threads in this forum, it's much, much better (of course, that has the effect of a factory reset so it's not all OS upgrade).