Q = Quit - Motorola Q Issues

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Super S, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Super S

Super S New Member

I have had my Q for 7 days now and it has been horrible, so bad in fact to the point where i havent even used it since friday. Here are the issues i am having, anyone who can help or has had the same issues, your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Phone freezes while placing or answering a call. Have to pop out the battery to reboot.

Phone will reboot in the middle of a call, even if there isnt anything else going on while on the call.

Phone reboots constantly on its own, like 5-7 times when i am texting or IMing.

Sometimes the phone will reboot when i plug it in to charge.

If i am actively text messaging the phone will reboot and when it reloads every text message received since the start of that "conversation" is gone. Shows every other txt msg received except the ones i was just answering.

EV service is EXTREMELY slow. I had a regular sprint PCS vision plan and it was 5 x's faster than this service they are charing extra for because it is the fastest available.

IM programs freeze and shut down on their own. Unable to reconnect once this has happened. Have to reboot before i can reconnect.

Web sites will not load properly saying that the browser doesnt support frames, yet my treo 650 that is over a year old could display the same pages perfectly fine.

Have had a device.exe error twice, and numerous other errors that created an error report to send to microsoft.

If the phone sits for awhile without any kind of use and then i go to use it I can get into the start menu, but can't get the IM programs to work or my internet to connect. Have to reboot before i can reconnect. Once it comes back up i get floods of text messages that people have sent me throughout the time i wasnt doing anything on my phone.

Once inside the start menu when you click on the file manager, installed programs, or anything really, it takes about 7 seconds for it to load.

Even when i select the "Silent" profile my Q still makes all kinds of notification sounds.

Q has issues transitioning from my network to roaming. freezes, or never switches back even when i am in an area that has my network coverage. I have to manually switch it to "sprint only" and then reboot it so it finds my network.

and the latest - this morning i was driving to work and had to make a call. I grabbed my Q and hit the center directional button to get the screen to come on. Nothing. pressed a couple other buttons and still nothing. Tried powering the phone on, wouldnt start. Had to pull the battery out and then power it up for it to come back on.

help! :angry:
  2. inf3st

inf3st New Member

Hate to hear that you are having so many problems with the Q. My first advice is do a master reset. And run the phone without any hacks and 3rd party software. If doing that doesn't show any improvements then you have a defective device. If the phone does work properly then you have either done something wrong to the phone or had a bad software install.

To do a master reset turn the phone off. Then press and hold the center action key for 5 seconds. Then, while still holding the action key, press and hold the end key. This will prompt you for a master reset.

Master resets will completely reinstall WM5 so Make sure you do a backup before attempting this.
  3. lexluthor

lexluthor New Member

Does this above process does something different than a Master Reset in the system tools menu?
  4. Super S

Super S New Member

My phone has had the majority of these issues before i installed any 3rd party software. Didnt make any changes to it until wednesday of last week, but had almost all of the issues from mon-wed afternoon. Had the device.exe error the night i took it out of the package lol I called sprint and the first thing the guy told me was "yeah it's a bad phone" Thank you Capt Obvious. Thanks for your post!
  5. inf3st

inf3st New Member

The UI master reset method doesn't completely wipe the phone.
  6. My-Q

My-Q New Member

From what I understand, using the method described by inf3st is the same as using the Master Reset in System Tools. Holding down the 'center' button lets you reset the Q without having access to the System Tools. Unfortunately, I've had to use it myself.
  7. inf3st

inf3st New Member

I've gotten myself in the habit of doing a hard reset before I use a new phone. It can't hurt anything!

If you don't feel like doing that you can always take it back to your provider and they will give you a new phone.
  8. My-Q

My-Q New Member

He beat me too it. And, is much smarter than I am!

About swapping out for a new phone...it happens. I'm on my third in about 3 weeks.
  9. inf3st

inf3st New Member

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. :p
  10. Super S

Super S New Member

Well i talked to sprint this morning. By the time the guy started helping me trouble shoot we did a master reset, and then it rebooted itself 4 times in like 3 mins...lol so he literally said "F-this prelimenary crap...obviously it's defective." they are going to send me out a new one today :smile:
  11. My-Q

My-Q New Member

If the Sprint guy used the "F" word, I'm glad I use VZW. :gasp:
  12. inf3st

inf3st New Member

Sounds like my kind of csr. lol
  13. Super S

Super S New Member

LOL Dustin - thats what i was thinking too. Knew i had a good tech when he openly swore about his company's product lol nice guy, hopefully it'll go smoothly...but being sprint, im being realistically optomistic :laugh2:
  14. My-Q

My-Q New Member

VZW is the samw way...things will go smoothly, then all of a sudden every VZW employee you talk to has an idiot. It would be nice if we could find a goood rep and get directed to them every time you call. Gee, if that was the case, we'll be living in Perfect (from the Walgreen's commercial.)
  15. qnoob

qnoob New Member

damn, sad to hear. I'm currently on Q-Day +9 and the only negative I've come across is getting used to the battery life (coming from a regular cell phone) . . . knock on wood.
  16. trent_duke

trent_duke New Member

Jesus...get yourself a new phone. Many on Verizon are on their second or third already, especially those that bought back in the late summer.

I will have had my silver Q for 2 months this week. No major issues like you are reporting. My Q has shut down about 6 times total and had to take the battery out/in. Q has never rebooted itself and never any calling problems.

Screw calling your techs at Sprint. Just get yourself a new phone.

Trent
  17. Super S

Super S New Member

Trust me, im working on it. This whole thing has been a disaster
  18. red_1z

red_1z New Member

sounds defective to me...take that ish back where u got it
  19. bubbatex

bubbatex New Member

Super - hang in there, I am really happy with mine. We all have a few bugs, but overall I like it. Though it does seem that there are a lot of defective Q's out there - I would hear the same thing on the Treo boards. I just don't understand why I always get good working units and other folks go through 2, 3, 4, 5 units. When I read that someone is on their 3rd+ until, it always makes me wonder........
  20. chatmaster20

chatmaster20 Member

I have had 3 Q's so far and this one works great. Once you get a good phone, you will be quite happy with it.