Q Mol2 Upgrade for the Q Released

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Marvelous Merv, Dec 18, 2006.

1. jasonbob

jasonbob New Member

I think it's better!

Well I found a suggestion to help battery life on these forums (sorry don't have the exact link to the forum. But it pretty much got rid of the phone always trying to search for an Exchange Server with ActiveSync. Since changing those settings my phone battery life has been MUCH better. Previously I was lucky to make it thru the work day without the battery dying.... well today is test one. I charged overnight and took it off the charger at 7am. As of right now (4:19pm) the batter bars are still at 100%!!! I am soo excited..... hopefully this is how it will stay!
  2. dipgolf

dipgolf New Member

I would say no to the Telus questions.

I had something weird happen to mine and I think I read someone had the same thing. I did the two *228 calls following my update. Everything went through alright. Then I noticed I wasn't getting mail or calls so I put a call out, didn't work. I went into settings and looked at "My Phone Number" and it said "0000009988." I was on with Verizon for maybe 5 minutes and it was fixed. He said it has happened a lot. He had me type in some weird combinations of numbers and stuff and it pulled up some programming menu on the Q. He then had me type in my phone number on two input boxes. pyrobling probably knows what I'm talking about.

Battery life is great ever since but I'm having BT sync issues right now.
  3. jasonbob

jasonbob New Member

Another follow-up

Well I am now at 48 hours and still haven't put the phone back on the charger. I am only missing 1 bar on the battery and everything is working fine. I do carry my extra battery with me... just in case it all of a sudden dies and the battery bar isn't accurate. However, all functions are working and it's been an AMAZING 48 hours.
  4. dipgolf

dipgolf New Member

Alright, I haven't been able to get bluetooth active sync to work since the update. COM 7 has disappeared from my PC. I've deleted the partnership and gotten the passkey to go through but no Activesync activity.
  5. jasonbob

jasonbob New Member

I don't believe it!!

Well here is a continued update on applying the update and removing the ActiveSync Exchange Server connection.... 72 hours (in 2 minutes) and the phone has not gone back on the charger and still has 2 bars left. Could this be the answer??? I think it may, as long as you don't need to connect to an exchange server. I'll let you all know when the battery dies.

jason
  6. traceywaldron

traceywaldron New Member

Please specify the setting change

Jasonbob, will you be so kind as to specify exactly what your setting change was that you made to have your Q stop searching for the server? I managed to miss the post that expained exactly what it was. I'd like to see if trying that helps my phone perform better.

My Q has markedly decreased battery life since doing the firmware update, and I had GREAT battery life before. Note, though, that I didn't and don't use my Q for email and Internet access. So there REALLY is no excuse for crappy battery life, now is there?!

<Crossing fingers that your fix helps me>

-Tracey
  7. jasonbob

jasonbob New Member

Hi Tracy, here is the link on this website that I used and so far so good for me. Let me know if it works for you also.

http://www.everythingq.com/forum/mo...amatic-970.html?highlight=activesync exchange

Jason
  8. traceywaldron

traceywaldron New Member

Just applied the De-Exchange Sync Fix

Thanks, Jason.

I do appreciate your pointing me to these instructions. It seems this fix is damn necessary. What a louse-up to let this release out like this! My lord.

No doubt my Q'll be back to it's rip-roaring long-term battery life like before. Now hopefully I didn't jinx myself. <knockknockknock>

-Tracey
  9. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

I didn't see any battery change from the firmware updates. There is a small list of items that affect the battery life:

Leaving services like IR on.
    Poor tower signal.
    Heavy data (email/exchange etc) usage
    Heavy phone or pda usage
    Corrupted settings that steal CPU cycles (Master resest or upgrade fixes this)
    And.. The unusual hardware or battery defect
  10. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

You know, I tire of continually discussing battery life in general. The battery life of my Q is fine.
  11. traceywaldron

traceywaldron New Member

My battery decrease after firmware update

Well, Lars, if you're referring to my situation, here are my stats:

- I don't have IR on, and haven't ever used it.
    - I've updated with *228 option 2 followed by *228 option 1 three times since the firmware update. Last night I updated with the *22899 just for the hell of it to see if that had any effect.

- I do not use email or Internet service on the phone, so I don't download from or check servers (yet my phone may have defaulted to *trying* to do so since the update).

- I don't use my phone much at all, nor do I use the PDA much. However, I've sat and played Bubble Breaker for hours on end while at my in-law's house over the holidays (I was reeeeeeally bored) before the update and saw NO decrease in battery life then.

- I did a master reset right after the firmware update.

- I have both the standard and extended-life battery, so I can't have 2 defective batteries that suddenly went kablooey only after the firmware update.

I believe the problem was the phone's default setting of trying to find a phantom Exchange server. The fix I was pointed to seems to have worked -- I'm still on 4 battery bars since this morning. Only other possibility is that the *22899 helped, either in addition or before.

It truly is curious how this firmware update affected the same model of phone in completely different ways. Very curious indeed....

-Tracey
  12. traceywaldron

traceywaldron New Member

Tired?!

If you're tired of discussing it, don't discuss it. Peachy keen that yours is fine. Move along, Marvelous Merv. But people having problems with their equipment after performing something that's supposed to enhance battery life and has ended up DECREASING it justly feel they want to fix whatever went wrong.

What kind of attitude is that to have? My lord.
  13. jasonbob

jasonbob New Member

Amen!!

Amen on that Tracey!
  14. gmardre

gmardre New Member

Funny, but this list ( although it does say "some" ) of fixes in the update does not say anything at all about battery life. Nor does the list from Motorola....for the MOL2 update. The first update seemed to fix a good deal of battery life problems.

Here is a list of some of the fixes included in MOL2 thanks to rjswebsolutions

Before Update:
    E911:
    When device is locked, user could not dial 911 without using Alt key in between the numbers.
    After Update: Supported without using Alt key

Before Update:
    Master Reset:
    Did not remove all user content
    After Update:Complete end user data wipe supported

Before Update:
    BT Dial Up Networking:
    VZ Access manager did not support BT Dial Up
    After Update: BT Dial up supported through VZW Access manager

Before Update:
    Windows 2000 Support:
    Not Supported
    After Update: Supported, including Dial up

Before Update:
    VZW Download Icon:
    After Update: Changed “Downloads” icon has been changed to “Get Applications” for VZW based on their request

Before Update:
    BT volume control through Jog Dial:
    Volume control through Jog Dial while on BT Headset not supported
    After Update: Supported

Before Update:
    Display Backlight: Timed out during incoming call
    After Update: Backlight will not timeout until call is accepted or goes to voice mail

Before Update:
    Speaker Phone:
    Speaker phone key inactive during a call when device/keypad locked
    After Update: User can enable or disable speaker phone while on a call.

Before Update:
    Incorrect Letters During Text Messaging:
    When initiating a new text message and when adding a name from contact list, you press certain letters like "h" and instead of bringing up names starting with "h", it brings up names starting with the wrong letter "w" or in some cases it brings up nothing
    After Update:
    Names will be brought up with correct letter

Before Update:
    Voice recognition feature to send text messages does not work consistently:
    It will bring up the phone number of the person to text, but in the email application, rather than the text message application.
    After Update:
    When using Voice recognition.. Correct application will be opened ( email, text message)

Before Update:
    Web Browser- www.hp.com not working:
    When going to http://www.hp.com with MOL1 on the Q--- go to IE on Q & enter hp.com, after the page loads it will either take you to home screen or the start menu
    After Update:
    Web site can be accessed successfully in MOL2