Q Mol2 Upgrade for the Q Released

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Marvelous Merv, Dec 18, 2006.

1. ishore

ishore New Member

Against my better judgement but

2. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

Clearly the upgrade process doesn't make it clear enough that you need to dial *228 TWICE and do both a prl (1) and carrier (2) upgrade.
  3. asonin

asonin New Member

Me, too

I did the first firmware upgrade this summer (which was not without difficulties!) and now when I try the newest upgrade it tells me that I "already (have) the newest software". It won't let me upgrade, in other words. Anyone else see this?
  4. traceywaldron

traceywaldron New Member

A way to progress through the update

I had the same problem, and suffered through waiting, rebooting/battery removal, and continually re-seeing the white, DOS-like textual error message above. What I found, though, was that Windows XP kept saying that it had new found new hardware -- the Motorola Flash installer (or wording to that effect -- I don't have the exact name available anymore), and was trying to locate drivers/installers for it.

I found that when I chose "Search Automatically" from the installer window for the Motorola Flash thingy, it *finally* installed the proper files so that the Q Software Update could progress. After that, no soft resets, just patient waiting for the update to finish. I just did, and I'm back to the default screen and setup (AND it says SPL Unlocked!).:thumbup:

I also manually changed ActiveSync's settings: File > Connection Settings > uncheck Open ActiveSync when my device connects. I believe that may have cause a bit less confusion in having my Q not try to synch each time I reconnected the USB after soft resets. Just make sure to turn the setting back on when the update is through!

I'm off to do the *228 reprogram and subsequent *228 update.

Best of luck to all having difficulty.
  5. R-Moto-Q

R-Moto-Q New Member

I was told the Q needs to onlt dial *22899 to program.

I used this a few times already..
  6. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

Just thought I would let everyone know that we no longer use *22899 anymore.

Now when I program phones I use *22890 instead and it will program the phone and update the PRL at the same time in 1 call. The PRL released today is 50724 so that you are all current.

-A
  7. Marvelous Merv

I have updated a couple of times in the past couple of days, out of curiousity. I can only get my PRL updated to 50722. Must be a regional thing...
  8. gmardre

gmardre New Member

I got the Sprite program because I do not have Outlook to sync with. Then I find that to restore from Sprite you hae to go through all these complicated techie steps. But your post seemed easy. Did it just "restore" that easily?
    g
  9. ishore

ishore New Member

Upgrade and Spirit

First, I have Spirit on my Mini SD card as well as the backup files. REMOVE the card before you do the upgrade or you will have nothing on the card after the upgrade.

When I was finished with the upgrade I started Spirit and said restore. And everything was back.
  10. gmardre

gmardre New Member

How would I move my Sprite program from my phone to my card?
  11. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

The card does not get erased by the upgrade.
  12. ishore

ishore New Member

Move Spirite

Use File Manager. Go to the Spirite Directory and choose Spirite folder. Then go to menu, and choose move. Identify "Storage".
  13. goblue1969

goblue1969 New Member

Well, I read all 72 posts in this thread looking for the answer that most of us are probably looking for....Does this firmware upgrade improve the horrendous battery life of the Q?

It appears that many people have upgraded, but nobody has posted their before and after thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
  14. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

My battery life was good to start with, but that's because I had performed serveral of the adjustments supplied on this forum. I cannot say I have noticed any appreciable difference, but at the same time, with the kind of usage my phone gets, 8-10 hours for the standard battery is about what I expect. Light usage, I must say it lasta a little longer (only lost a bar overnight last night instead of the normal 2).
  15. ishore

ishore New Member

It works well

As the title states, it works well. Using the Heavy Duty Battery, I know get about 12 hours of use. That includes heavy Email useage from 3 accounts and phone calls as well.

I still keep my back up near by, guess I am a little jumpy. I have also found that the speed of the processer is a little faster as well.

Ian
  16. Marvelous Merv

I'd estimate my battery life at 10-15% better than it was before. I don't consider the Q to be any better or worse on battery life than any other PDA or smartphone I have had before...
  17. jasonbob

jasonbob New Member

Battery life worse after MOL2 update

I completed the update a few days ago and have noticed a DECREASE in battery life. I am coming from a fresh format and now have nothing extra installed on my phone and all settings are default just like before. I take my phone off the charger at about 7:00am and by 4:30pm the battery (extend life battery) is dead and turns itself off. This time around I actually have less email accounts setup and set to check emails less often than I did pre-upgrade. My phone with the extended battery used to last from 7am until I'd go to bed around 11:30pm and still have a bar left or just starting to get the low battery message. Any thoughts???

Thanks,
    Jason
  18. Marvelous Merv

Have you done the *228 updates? My first thought is that you are getting very poor celltower coverage and your phone is struggling to maintain its connection, which will kill your battery. You need to do a PRL and SPL update - hopefully that will help.
  19. jasonbob

jasonbob New Member

Yep I actually had to do the *228 and then option 1 and 2 after installing the update. Hopefully it is just a temporary issue or that for some reason my battery didn't get full charged (even though it sat all night).
  20. tilley

tilley New Member

MOL2 is good for Telus'Q, too? If yes, where I can find this update?