Q Mol2 Upgrade for the Q Released

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Marvelous Merv, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

Correct - *228 updates your PRL, which has to do with roaming networks and capabilities - it doesn't affect a change to your ROM or BIOS as a firmware upgrade will do.
  2. destruct007

destruct007 New Member

thanks a lot!
  3. terps4

terps4 New Member

In fact, if you read the update instructions you will see that you need to call *228 twice at the end of the process to get your phone back up and running. You need to hit option 1 on the first call, and option 2 on the second.
  4. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

So that it is a bit more clear, This third update is a firmware update and not an OS update. The OS will remain at V5.1.195 but the hardware will go to Q2-BP_C_06.0B.0BP. It is meant to get the Silver Q close in functionality to the Black one. It is a worthwhile update if you don't mind reloading your software and settings. Don't forget to sync/save your phone's data before the update.
  5. ishore

ishore New Member

Verizon Support

If you are confussed, try this one. Yesterday I went to a Verizon Store. Meet the Tech and asked for the upgrade. After about 10 minutes the Tech comes back and tells me that there is no new upgrade.

So what do I do now?:embarassed:
  6. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

I'm convinced that 99% of tech's are idiots.... of course I don't blame them. VZW has had so many phones coming out, there's no way one person can keep up with them, and if the tech you talk to isn't a Q fan, I doubt he's going to know anything about it. Any reason you can't download/install it yourself (or get a friend to do it)? Another option would be to download/burn it on a CD yourself and bring it to him, or just bring him the URL (http://direct.motorola.com/hellomot...eless&strPhone=Q&strCable=Mini USB Data Cable). A lot of tech's are greatful for "non-smug" knowledge you put on them.
  7. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

You always tend to get better advice at a well-trafficked forum like EverythingQ for technical assistance than you will from a carrier's tech support...
  8. Syndic8r

Syndic8r New Member

Boy, I wish I had the same success you had. My phone stops midway through the update. After many attempts, my IT person now has the phone--AGAIN. When the phone works, it's great, but I'm now on my second phone (keys died on the first one after 6 weeks of moderate use). I'm getting pretty frustrated with the Q.
  9. HowLakota

HowLakota New Member

ERROR - Update has not been completed.

Hello Everyone, I am having a problem with this update. I ran the last update with no issues. This one acknowledges connection, I see one upload complete to the Q and it just sits until I get this timeout message in the title.
    The options it gives me is:
    Please try again by following these steps....
    1. Reconnect the usb cable to the PC.
    2. Power off your Motorolla device and turn it back on.
    3. Reconnect your Motorolla device to the usb cable.
    When you have completed these steps successfully, the software update process will resume.

I do the steps as requested and the same thing occurs....
    The first upload occurs and it times out again...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Randy Barger
  10. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

First time through mine bombed out on me.... I just reset the phone, rebooted my computer (just for the sake of rebooting), and everything went through like a champ.
  11. DJ_45_cal

DJ_45_cal New Member

MOL2 Upgrade not compatible with Vista

FYI, the update will only run on Windows 2000 SP4 or Windows XP (RTM or SP1). It will not run on Vista RTM
  12. masiv

masiv New Member

I last updated my Q with the first update released earlier in the summer. I am currently running Q2-BP_C_06.07.03P. While running the latest update the program tells me that my phone is already running the latest software. The file I downloaded is: Motorola_Software_Update_Stand_Alone-01-05-06.exe

Any ideas on how I can get the software updated? I only tried it once, so maybe I will give it another shot today.
  13. HowLakota

HowLakota New Member

Yea, I rebooted and did a Master Reset. Still the same symptom.
    I am beginning to wonder if I have a fire wall issue here... maybe it's waiting for something from the internet and it's being blocked or filtered. I'm going to try this at home and see if it works.

Regards,

Randy Barger
  14. vtx1300rider@comcast.net

vtx1300rider@comcast.net New Member

Before I updated I checked both the Software stats and the Phone (firmware) settings. The update does not change any of the basic OS software, just reloads the orignal after it writes the new phone firmware. I backed up my phone with Sprite backup (best investment) and after the firmware update (no problems) restored my phone to the way I had it in 4 min or less. Rechecking the OS version it was the same, only the phone's radio version changer, along with the phone firmware version. (found under settings/phone setting/phone info) Bottom line.... if you plan to update your phone, and have a lot of apps like I do, then Sprite Backup will save you a ton of work. Most of you are aware of this but for those that are not, updating your phones software/firmware in no way affects your storage card.

Jesse
  15. masiv

masiv New Member

Well, removed the previous install of Motorola update software and installed newest version. Ran the upgrade and all was going along good. Phone rebooted, formatted, software install was running, then it got stuck at 8%. It will not continue past 8%. :angry:

I'm starting to think my phone is bricked. Anyone have any ideas? Any info will be appreciated.
  16. ishore

ishore New Member

Settings

Chris:

My question since I am not as good as I used to be is: I have backed up my files (Sprite) to my Storage Card. Now after I upgrade, can I then run the restore program so that my settings will be restored?

IanUnsure
  17. johnph22

johnph22 New Member

Help!!

I did everything by the book. Phone seemed to take the update (how do I check??), but it won't make or recieve calls. Any suggestions?

I *really* don't want to go to a VZW store to stand for an hour to hear them say they have no idea. Sorry, don't mean to bash VZW but that has happened to me three times now.
  18. vtx1300rider@comcast.net

Dial *228 and use option 1, when finished call again and use option 2, reboot and your phone will be fine.
  19. vtx1300rider@comcast.net

You will need to connect to Active Sync, go to 'Tools' and select add/remove programs, check Sprite backup, once it is re-installed on your Q then right click the sprite icon in your computers tray and select restore. You will have to reboot your Q twice to complete to restore.
  20. tj!2k6

tj!2k6 New Member

Anyone have the following issue after performing the update:

Sent SMS messages are nowhere to be found.. as in: they're not in the "Outbox" or "Sent Items" folders..?

I just had my Q replaced, and this seems to have occurred on both the old one, as well as on the replacement, only after I applied the MOL2 update.

Update:

Nevermind, I'm retarded. I forgot about the "Save copies of sent items" option under Messaging -> Options -> Sending

I guess that's disabled by default in the update. :shocked: