Q Mol2 Upgrade for the Q Released

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Marvelous Merv, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

Q Mol2 Upgrade for the Q Released

I am confused - this site published a story today about a firmware upgrade for the Q, yet neither the website or the Motorola support site reference what version it would upgrade the phone to. When I download the install file, there is a [seeming] date reference to to 01.05.06 in the filename (Motorola_Software_Update_Stand_Alone-01-05-06.exe). I certainly don't want to use this upgrade if - in fact - it is not relevant to my phone, which is using version 5.1.195.

I don't want to risk wiping my phone and loading an older build version...has anyone done the upgrade?
  2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Merv-
    Yes, this is the MOL2 release from Motorola. It is safe to install, as long as you follow the directions from Motorola. Among the various improvements, MOL2 is said to boost battery life. This latest software install is the same that can be found on the Motorola Q Black.

-Chris
  3. mchukra

mchukra New Member

Anybody know if there is one available for the Telus network?
  4. dmxoneiuv

dmxoneiuv New Member

cant install without internet explorer?

i have just downloaded the file Motorola_Software_Update_Stand_Alone-01-05-06.exe from the MOTO Q direct site and upon running it, it says i need internet explorer 5.5 to perform the update. i dont have internet explorer installed on my windows version (it was stripped) and use firefox..anyone know if theres an alternate installation method without me installing IE?
  5. axe

axe New Member

mine worked fine with firefox
  6. jerkules

jerkules New Member

I have Firefox as well and the update worked without any glitches.
  7. dmxoneiuv

dmxoneiuv New Member

had to install IE

see, i was able to DOWNLOAD the file using firefox, save it..but my problem is when i ran it it said you have to have IE 5.5 or higher to proceed with installation...my windows os "stripped" with certain things, one of them being Internet Explorer..(i dont think i'm the only one out there without internet explorer)...its not on the computer at all, not in any windows folder, not in program files/internet explorer/ and i couldnt proceed with the installation so i went about downloading internet explorer 7 and got to start the update...only took about 10 or so minutes, but then had to reinstall my programs, set my settings and ringtones and all

anyway, you NEED microsoft internet explorer 5.5 or higher to perform the update...maybe someone can create a work around for it or get the .cab file if at all possible, dont know cuz i guess it flashes the rom or whatever
  8. greg3000gt

greg3000gt New Member

How do I know if I already have the latest?

Hi all:

I received a replacement Q a few months ago that had the latest "then" software OS 5.1.195 Build 14960.2.4.0.

Is this update later than that? I use Sprite back up and have a complete backup on my storage card. I would want to restore from there but I am not sure if I do a complete restore if it will overwrite the new OS or I guess I can pick and choose the apps. I have a bunch. Thanks for any input.
  9. Marvelous Merv

I am going to attempt the install/upgrade tomorrow, but I don't have a backup program. Is there a free backup utility out there for WM5 smartphones?
  10. greg3000gt

greg3000gt New Member

Updated and restored using Sprite backup no problem!

I well I did not the upgrade and then performed a complete restore from my SD storage "sprite backup", it worked flawlessly and evertying is working fine. however, when I checked the version information it was the same. My thought is since that I "assume" that once the upgrade is done it is in the bios that a restore would only be apps/storage/email etc.

Am I looking at the wrong place? I would HIGHLY recommend Sprite for Smartphone, it is worth the money.
  11. PattiK

PattiK New Member

I would agree. Sprite is worth the money and works great! Did we ever find out what the version of the software is from Motorola?
  12. PattiK

PattiK New Member

But is the version different than what comes out recently on the silver Q? I just swapped out to my 3rd Q and they told me the version on the phone is current but there would be an upgrade coming out soon. I want to make sure the upgrade on the site isn't the same I have on my phone.
  13. Mseals

Mseals New Member

New update

Yes, the new update that is on Verizon's website that points you to the Motorola website is a new update if you have a silver Q purchased before 12/1/06 I would say. Not sure about the date, but my Q is only a month old and I did the update last night. If your Q already has the latest version, the update will tell you during the verification part and no update will occur.
  14. Marvelous Merv

My Q is only three weeks old - when I got it, it was running software version 5.1.195. Having done the upgrade this morning it is now running version:

Q2-BP_C_06.0B.0BP

I had to restart the upgrade a couple of times, which always gets the old blood pressure going. It finally installed completely and has worked fine. I haven't had enough time on it to note any real world impact on the battery life, though eight hour later I will venture a guess that it is certainly no worse.

I haven't noticed any new functionality or anything else perceptable...
  15. ridiculogic

ridiculogic New Member

problem installing new update

Hey all, I can't install the new update. After I download the program to my computer and start the update, my phone's screen turns black and reads (in DOS-like white lettering):

Motorola Flash Mode
    Bootloader version:
    Boot_C_01.09.00R_MPAP

USB Cable Connected

Anybody else experience this problem? Any thoughts on a fix?

Thanks!
  16. axe

axe New Member

yes , unplug usb turn off then on if it doesnt work plug in usb and see if you get a error 10 if so reinstall update again and it should work
  17. Marvelous Merv

That is the same error I got - as suggested, you need to fully unplug the USB cord and then re-plug it in for the upgrade to procede. Apparently it needs to recognized the phone as a "new device" for the Moto-installer to work properly...
  18. scoutnex

scoutnex New Member

any answer to this or what?
  19. axe

axe New Member

im happy it worked for you merv
  20. destruct007

destruct007 New Member

is the download the same as updateing the phone with the *228 ? is the update the same as the firmware update? I downloaded the same one from the site and I also updated my phone from the *228 menu option... my guess is they are not the same, right?