Q erasing email from .Mac server?

Discussion in 'Mac and Motorola Q' started by Spotshooter, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Spotshooter

Spotshooter New Member

Q erasing email from .Mac server?

Hi,

My Q appears to be erasing email from my .Mac server. I want to keep my mail on the server. How do I set up mail in my Q, so it does not erase mail from my .Mac account?

Thanks in Advance,

Chris
  2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Okay, just set up my dot Mac account. First time, the Q could not find my settings. I tried again and it was successful. Outside of the obvious entries, make sure it's set to IMAP4. I just downloaded messages from my dot mac and then checked from the desktop. Now, if you delete messages on your Q, they will delete from the server. That's how IMAP works.

Hope this helps.
    Chris
  3. Spotshooter

Spotshooter New Member

Chris,

Help me understand, if I don't delete the message off my Q, will the message stay on the server? I like to download mail to my powerbook later. Is there any way to delete mail off the Q and keep it as unread on the .Mac account?

Also, I have been unsuccessful sending mail from my Q. My Q mail set up as a POP3 account. If I change this to IMAP will I be able to send mail through .Mac?

Any other hints?

Thanks again for your reply.

Chris B.
  4. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

You dot mac account is an IMAP4 account. With an IMAP account, the email client (whether it be Mail.app on your Powerbook, Safari or Outlook on your Q) logs into the dot mac server and "syncronizes" with the server. So, theoretically, let's say you access your dot Mac account from your PC at work and delete a few messages. When you login from Mail.app on your Powerbook, those messages will not be there. Same goes for your Q. These are all just email clients that "check-in" with the mac server. If you delete on your Q, you are deleting from the server. POP3 accounts can be configured so they "leave mail on the server". I have Mail.app set up to delete items off my POP3 server as soon as I download. So, if I'm out of my office and I forget to quit Mail, I won't get any of my POP3 mail.

Hope I didn't confuse things..:wacko:

-Chris
  5. Hardrock28

Hardrock28 New Member

Question on emails piling up on the Q

I have read alot of postings regarding the smart phones/Q's and leaving messages on the server.

I realize that deleting from the phone deletes from the server so basically most of us just read them and leave them in our inbox on the phone. What happens though after time when there are literally hundreds/thousands of emails on the phone. In other words, in my case I am a remote Lotus Notes user. I have the Q setup for POP and it is working just fine now. On Lotus when I read something important from my company I file it away in a folder within Notes on my laptop. Well since that email was not deleted theoretically it will still show up on the phone...if that is the cast eventually I am going to have thousands of emails on the phone...any thoughts comment?

Thanks
  6. atomicpunk

atomicpunk New Member

All of my emails from my outlook inbox do not display on my Q. I can't seem to find any setting that will make my Q show all of the emails that I currently have on my PC.

Thank you