Q Battery Life

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by EdL, Jun 25, 2006.

1. EdL

EdL New Member

Q Battery Life

Got mine yesterday. Didn't surf much. Only made a couple of calls. Played with the settings and the battery was about to die. Didn't make it through the day. Anybody else notice this? Sure there is the bigger battery but what's the point of thin?
  2. TAG1976

TAG1976 New Member

Like most smartphones (My Treo was the same way, when I first bought it) the battery has to charge and uncharge a few times before it starts working to its full potenetial. Adjust your "Power Management" settings till you get thru the first couple of charges and monitor the phones battery usage after every charge. It should start to level out and give you more longevity. Just my .02
  3. sbagdan

sbagdan New Member

I use my phone ALL Day with Bluetooth, and use wireless sync, and I can make my battery last all day....

On really HEAVY days, I just make sure I have the spare battery, or I keep the Car charger in the car and just plug it in on long drives..
  4. EdL

EdL New Member

Sounds hopeful. I'll try it
  5. bigirish26

bigirish26 New Member

Battery Life

I had the same issue, but it has been about a week now and the battery is lasting through the day. I found that limiting the number of apps running in tasks helped me a lot at first and as others have stated, having the spare battery really helps.
  6. hiphopreneur

hiphopreneur New Member

do yourself a favor and get the extended battery!
  7. Ballzo

Ballzo New Member

"Battery Life 101" will become one of your essential survival skills as it did mine, if you own the Q. The Q reminds me of my old Audiovox 9500 back in '03. That phone had such an intense color screen for it's time, and strong RF signal.. But as a result, it sucked power for lunch. That phone was worse, but I had to carry multiple batteries to get me through the day. I am one week into my Q ownership and I am seeing almost the same thing here. If you have it set up for Wirless Sync, I believe it constantly polls or searches the network and that drains power. Regularly killing apps, and making sure your Power Management settings are correct, are critical. Run, don't walk to your nearest VZW store and pick up an extended battery, and I'd suggest a car charger as well.. That little battery that comes with the phone doesn't last me more than perhaps 6-7 hours and I am down to one bar.. Manage your phone properly, leave the house every day with a full charge, a car charger for good measure and a spare battery.

Good Luck!!
    B
  8. TAG1976

TAG1976 New Member

Well Put..
    If you live by these rules, you should have no problems maintaining power on your Q.
  9. scotty-o

scotty-o New Member

It's been about 3 weeks now since i got my Q. The standard battery seems to be my biggest sore spot. I will try the tips posted.

Unfortunatey, in the past week, I've given up and chose to keep multiple chargers handy. Chargers everywhere! I keep one on in my bedroom, computer room, in my car and a desk charger at work. Ok, I admit it, I went a little overboard.

If anyone chooses to have at least one extra charger around, I recommend getting it from Amazon vs Verizon (huge price difference).

I just upgraded to the extended battery yesterday. It does make a difference, as long as you don't mind a significant bulge in the back of your once "thin" device. If you choose this option, I definately recommend getting this at Verizon's website vs their store. The website battery ($19.95) arrived defective, support warned me it would take up to 8 weeks to replace. Support said it will be easier to take to a store and swap it out. I was shocked to see that the store was selling the same battery for $59.99. Ouch.

Good luck everyone and hope you enjoy the Q as much as I do. If all he tips work out for the better, you may see some of my extra chargers on sale @ eBay :)
  10. Tong Sheng Li

Tong Sheng Li New Member

Battery

I got my Q three weeks ago and I still can barely make it a day without it needing to be recharged. My sister got hers about the same time and just recently she has been able to go two days easily on the same charge and still have 2 or 3 bars left with normal phone use... I dont know what she did but hers works well.
  11. RnRExpress

RnRExpress New Member

I use my Q with both my work and one personal email account, so active sync is constantly running. I probably use about an hour a day along with texting as well. I am in a good signal area. I charge every noght, take it off the charger about 7am, get home about 7pm, and usually have 3, sometimes 2 bars of charge left with my standard battery.

The key thing was I properly conditioned my batteries when I first got the Q. I first charged my battery 24 hours straight before using it. then I let it run down to 1 bar and charged fully overnight. I did that couple of times, and that seemed to condition my battery.

i also use the heck out of task manager. Every time I send a text, or look at my schedule, file manager, etc... I run task manager and kill all my apps. I also turned down the time for my backlights to 10 seconds I think. I dont have BT turned on, but I have a headset on order so I will see how much of a difference I see when I start to use it. But bottom line, is you need to charge every single night.